Whats Your Favorite Case?

EvigMidnat

since the BBC released a few of the original cases with intro's from Mark and Steven, I figured this was a good question to start this section.

I was hopeful and pleased when I saw on Amazon that they are going to include The Sign of the Four in this collection its often forgotten in place of the more memorable cases such as The Speckled Band, but IMO it is one of Sir ACD's best and one of Holmes most interesting cases.

I have a first edition from the Museum in London I got... gotta be 10 years back now.

I've been reading through the stories recently and I'm currently on Silver Blaze so I have still got a fair bit to go. :) My favourite stories so far have been the Adventure of the Copper Beeches, The Speckled Band, and The Boscombe Valley Mystery.

I've been curious about the BBC Sherlock editions of ACD's works. Are they anyway different or changed, or is it just the intros? Either way I'll probably buy them eventually because I'm curious about what Mark and Steven have to say. :)

Oh, ok thanks! :D I'll pick them up when Amazon has them on sale. I'm a sucker for merchandise. Darn fandoms are killing my bank account. :P

• Like 1

I have to admit I am not sure of a favourite. I still like the original Study in Scarlet the best. The Sign of Four is also a favourite. I also like the Adventure of the Dying Detective, but rather than liking a particular case I love some of the particular lines in several of them. I liked the original Scandal in Bohemia, the original exchange between Holmes and the King is wonderfully decisive and pins Holmes' ability down quickly and perfectly. Through out most cases, I love the absolute faith Watson has in Holmes, enough to comply with his orders implicitly despite knowing nothing about why he is undertaking them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, everyone says this, but so far I believe my favorite case is The Hound of the Baskervilles. It is by far the most, well to be quite frank, creepy of the series. Mind you, I have not read them all.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My favourites are: The Speckled Band; The Copper Beeches; The Hound of the Baskervilles; The Boscombe Valley Mystery; The Blanched Soldier; The Lion's Mane; The Devil's Foot; A study in Scarlett; The Creeping Man; In that order, and to name just a few.

• 2 months later...

wildwoodflower, I've moved your post regarding "The Illustrious Client" to the "Jeremy Brett" thread, where we're coincidentally having a similar discussion about Grenada's treatment of "The Greek Interpreter."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm still kind of an ACD newbie, having started reading the stories only when it was announced which ones Sherlock Series 2 would be based on.  So far I have read maybe half of the stories, and very few of them more than once, but nevertheless I like some better than others.  It annoys me when Holmes's client is a dunce -- for example, the fellow who was taken in by the Red-Headed League.  And the Musgraves appear to have been congenital idiots (though I thought the Jeremy Brett episode did a fairly good job of making the story more plausible).

I'm guessing that your two story codes stand for "Charles Augustus Milverton" and "Scandal in Bohemia," in which case I agree with you on the second (and didn't particularly care for what Sherlock did to Irene).

I'm quite new to ACD's books, too. I started to read them after watching Sherlock so I have still a lot to read. But my favourite story so far is probably A Study in Scarlet. Well, except for the middle part which is boring.

Join the club, Janie. Most of us find that trip to Utah, kind of useless. You can skip it completely and A Study In Scarlet is still a very fun and enjoyable read.

Oh, sorry, should have included a ;) back there someplace I guess.

I'm just saying that if you ignore the boring part of "A Study in Scarlet," then "A Study in Pink" is actually very much like it, even though it's obviously not a direct adaptation.

• 5 weeks later...

Favorite case? Well, I haven't read all, but it's hard to choose even among those I know. Frankly, I think Doyle was a horrible writer who just somehow stumbled on this one remarkable character (or rather this remarkable duo). The passages in some of the longer stories that don't figure Holmes are pretty tedious and when I re-read them, I skip those.

I like The Hound of the Baskervilles. I remember being really, really scared when I read it as a thirteen-year-old. That horrible mysterious person on the moor... When it turned out it had been Holmes all along, I was just as relieved to "see" him as Watson himself. I loved the feeling I got that as soon as Holmes showed up, everything was going to be okay, everybody I cared for was safe.

The Sign of Four and The Valley of Fear are also great if you (well, I at least) skip the aforementioned chapters. The Devil's Foot has a great drug scene that I love. The Read-Headed League is very funny. The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton has a really good ending.

Frankly, I think Doyle was a horrible writer who just somehow stumbled on this one remarkable character (or rather this remarkable duo). The passages in some of the longer stories that don't figure Holmes are pretty tedious and when I re-read them, I skip those.

Sounds like you've read "A Study in Scarlet."  And frankly, I think he was paid by the word!

Have just read "The Norwood Builder" for the first time. That could go into my favorites collection straight away and I would be very surprised if it's never used on the show. The villain there is called "a rat" by Holmes. Wasn't there something about a rat in the cryptic clues Moffat gave out?