Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recommend a Fandom... or What Other TV Shows Do You Watch

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#321 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

I'm ashamed to admit I only now realised Seol-Ok sounds like Sherlock, looking at it at least. Is Wan-Seung a John type character or a Lestrade? I was thinking Lestrade because you said he was a detective, but it doesn't seem right to have a Sherlock series without a version of John. 

Wan-Seung:  the clue is in the name.  ;)

(Hey, it took me a while too.)

• Boton likes this

#322 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Consulting Detective

• 4,474 posts
  • LocationWales, UK
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:16 AM

I still don’t get the Wan-Seung... Watson?
  • Carol the Dabbler likes this

That's clever. Is it clever? Why is it clever?

#323 Boton

Boton

Consulting Detective

• 1,888 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Just noticed the names!  :D  (Is the show from Korea?)

Her outfit in that one photo looks fine to me.  Certainly no Belstaff, but then again, how many people could afford to dress that poshly?  Not me, that's for sure!  (Well, I suppose technically I could afford it -- but think how many DVDs I could get with that wad of money!   To say nothing of dental bills....)

So far, that photo is the best of her outfits.  She has pulled off some truly awful things, although I did like last night's ensemble that was some sort of slogan tshirt with a skirt and tennis shoes.  That was cute.  And I love that she carries a magnifying glass as a dangle from her cell phone.

I'm ashamed to admit I only now realised Seol-Ok sounds like Sherlock, looking at it at least. Is Wan-Seung a John type character or a Lestrade? I was thinking Lestrade because you said he was a detective, but it doesn't seem right to have a Sherlock series without a version of John. 

Yes, Wan-Seung is Watson, and, as many of you have intuited, the names do sound like "Sherlock" and "Watson" when they are pronounced.  I was initially confused too because Wan-Seung takes such a leading role at the crimes rather than being Seol-ok's conductor of light, but that's the set up. There is a police chief that functions very much like the ACD Lestrade, in that he's nice and he's smart, but he's really nothing next to Seol-ok and Wan-Seung, and he gets a fair amount of credit for things that Seol-ok has solved for him.

Read Boton's fanfiction at AO3: http://archiveofouro...on/pseuds/Boton

Boton's Sherlock thoughts: http://221Boton.tumblr.com

#324 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

Maybe Seol-Ok will gradually become the "senior" member of the team as she gains experience and confidence. After all, if Holmes had met Watson some years earlier, before he had any cases under his belt, the good doctor may have done a good bit of the detecting at first, before being rapidly eclipsed by his younger friend.
  • Boton likes this

-- Carol

#325 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Consulting Detective

• 4,474 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

I didn’t fancy it at all, don’t watch many foreign language things but the more you say the more tempted I am. Not that I’d be very likely to find it anywhere.
  • Boton likes this

#326 Artemis

Artemis

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 724 posts
  • LocationBolt-hole
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:13 AM

I just finished The Office (US).  Liked it a lot, sad it's over.  Took me forever to give it a shot, because I caught a few random episodes on TV here and there over the years and just didn't get the humor.  Also didn't realize they were being filmed for a documentary.  Makes a lot more sense with that piece of information, lol.

• Boton likes this

"Why have I got this blanket?  They keep putting this blanket on me."

#327 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:19 AM

Yup, sure would!  You must have wondered why people kept talking right into the camera.

Have you seen the original (UK) Office with Martin Freeman?

-- Carol

#328 Artemis

Artemis

• 724 posts
  • LocationBolt-hole

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:32 AM

Talking to the camera didn't confuse me as much (I figured they were being interviewed about their jobs, but I didn't know by who).  It was the subtler stuff, like the weird self-conscious looks right into the camera, or when Michael put on a show in front of the camera and behaved in ways where he was obviously trying to impress the audience.  I didn't understand why everyone was constantly breaking the 4th wall, lol.  I thought the interviewing part was supposed to have stopped when they weren't speaking directly about themselves to the camera.

I haven't seen the UK original yet, but I will soon, that's next on my list.  :smile:

• Carol the Dabbler likes this

#329 Van Buren Supernova

Van Buren Supernova

Consulting Detective

• 4,414 posts
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:02 AM

I didn't realize it was for documentary as well. Thought it's just some kind of new genre 'Mockumentary' comedy.
Thought they were taking big risk by filming it that way without the classic laugh tracks and full of awkwardness, but it works.

There were some scenes when the cameraman wasn't allowed, like it was shot through window blind, or we only hear whispers behind close doors. So initially I thought it was part of DM documentation only, some kind of office practice and policy exclusive to DM weirdness. However when we see other branch's stories, they seem 'proper', so maybe it's more to reality TV of Scranton DM. Why anyone think it's a good idea on that fictional universe, I don't know. XD But I like the show.

Haven't tried the British version too, except half of first episode and tbh, didn't really pull me in. But back then I dislike almost all British shows.
I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
I said I'd tell you the truth. Didn't say you'd like it.

#330 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

As you may know by now, "mockumentary" is short for "mock documentary."

I think the key to getting into the British "Office" is NOT to think of it as a show about the boss. He's a very off-putting jerk, so if you think of the show as being about him, it's a very off-putting show. I think the show is actually more about everybody else in the office trying to cope with the jerk (and with his would-be second in command, Gareth).

As I recall, the first episode focuses mostly on the boss, so even though you do need to watch that one (because it explains who everybody is), you also need to watch another episode or two in order to get a proper feel for the show.

-- Carol

#331 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Consulting Detective

• 4,474 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

Is the British version more acerbic in general? I imagine it would be. I've only seen a few episodes of The Office, so never actually watched it properly. I liked Extras (Ricky Gervais' next show after The Office), anyone seen that? A lot of that was cringy comedy too. The Ricky Gervais Show (the animated one) is pretty funny too, though I do feel a bit sorry for Karl Pilkington being quite so picked on. 

Took me ages to type that, my fingers are half frozen and kept hitting the wrong keys. 

• Boton likes this

#332 T.o.b.y

T.o.b.y

Consulting Detective

• 5,585 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

BBC's The Office is among my second favorite shows after Sherlock. Yes, it is pretty acerbic and David Brent is utterly cringeworthy. But the show isn't completely heartless. Also, make sure to watch it all the way to the end, meaning part 2 of the Christmas special.
"All lives end - all hearts are broken" / "The East Wind takes us all in the end"

#333 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

It's cold in your office again? You could get one of those little heater panels that fastens inside the modesty panel on your desk. Or a foot warmer -- I have one of those under my desk at home, and it's great -- if my feet are warm enough, it seems to spread to the rest of me.

As for comparing the two Offices -- well, they're different. I've only seen a season or two of the American one, but it's my impression that the American boss is far less abnormal than the British one, and is therefore less of a catalyst -- which means in turn that the American show is more mildly zany.

As one example of the difference -- the first half dozen or so of the American show are simply "translations" of the British one. At one point in each, the boss has played the same sadistic "joke" on the receptionist. When she finds out it was "only" a joke, the British receptionist says "You wanker! You're such a sad little man." The American says "You jerk!" and that's it. In the commentary the Americans said they felt the other line was too strong (whereas it was my favorite part of the British scene).

This is irrelevant, but I noticed that the subtitles for the American show we're written in British. For example, when someone tries to make a phone call but gets a busy signal, the subtitles says "engaged tone."

-- Carol

#334 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Consulting Detective

• 4,474 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

Ha, the British line definitely sounds apt to me. :D

I'm sat between two portable radiators, I'm wearing a vest, three jumpers, a hat, a scarf, and gloves and I'm still cold. It's only now starting to warm up a teensy bit. 

#335 Artemis

Artemis

• 724 posts
  • LocationBolt-hole

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:00 AM

When she finds out it was "only" a joke, the British receptionist says "You wanker! You're such a sad little man." The American says "You jerk!" and that's it. In the commentary the Americans said they felt the other line was too strong (whereas it was my favorite part of the British scene).

In the American version, wasn't there another episode where a different employee said something to that effect?  It might have been "ignorant and small man" or something like that, but I thought it seemed as strong as "sad little man".  He did apologize for saying it afterwards though, so maybe there's the difference, lol.

#336 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:20 AM

Could be -- I've seen only a fraction of the American episodes.

-- Carol