What other TV shows do you watch?

EvigMidnat

I've got caught up in this BBC thing called "Capital" ... only 3 episodes long (where have I heard that before?) so I pray I don't become hooked on it. But it's really well made and fascinating. Anyone else seen it?

Nope, not heard of it. Just had a look if it's available but it's not on iPlayer atm. 

I have absolutely loved 'The Alienist'. I think it is the sort of show that fans of Sherlock might enjoy. Just in case the name is putting anyone off, it's not about aliens at all, but the psychology of a murderer.

I'm looking forward to The Alienist, it's out on Netflix here on the 19th. The trailer looks good. 

Altered Carbon is on my 'to watch' list, but I've only had chance to watch part of the first episode so far.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:46 AM, Pseudonym said:

Nope, not heard of it. Just had a look if it's available but it's not on iPlayer atm. 

Rats, because I got interrupted by a phone call :( during the last episode and I don't understand the ending.

On 3/31/2018 at 3:42 PM, Doe said:

I wached tv serie that Altered Carbon. I liked it.

On 4/1/2018 at 5:06 AM, bedelia1984 said:

I have absolutely loved 'The Alienist'. I think it is the sort of show that fans of Sherlock might enjoy. Just in case the name is putting anyone off, it's not about aliens at all, but the psychology of a murderer.

Both sounds good. I'm aware about Altered Carbon but just heard about Alienist. I like Hannibal, so it's probably my cup of tea.

Anyone watches Black Mirror? I'm trying to find a way to watch that as it's highest on my list now.

• Like 1

Black Mirror is on my list too. Only seen one episode so far that was on TV a few Christmases ago. 

Do any of you in other countries watch 'Travel Man'? I wonder how the very dry, very sarcastic humour translates. It never translates with the people in the places they go and I think the locals just think Richard Ayoade is incredibly rude. It's basically a travel show where he takes another comedian on a mini break somewhere in the world and they do odd touristy stuff. 

• Like 1

Richard Ayoade is fantastic. I first saw him on The IT Crowd as Moss. Brilliant role.

I've been watching Cunk on Britain at the moment. Philomena Cunk (Diane Morgan) has the mental agility of a small soap dish and travels around Britain destroying British history and culture with her stupidity. She interviews experts and historians with reactions that run from wry tolerance to suppressed anger at her moronic questions. Very funny, but I worry that some of the chavs will take her seriously.

• Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, bedelia1984 said:

FYI on The Alienist, if anybody is interested in going to the source material:  The show is from a series of novels published in the 1990s by novelist Caleb Carr.  Mr. Carr is a Sherlockian who modeled his psychiatrist-hero Dr. Lazlo Kriezler, on aspects of Sherlock Holmes.  Carr also penned a Sherlockian pastiche novel called The Italian Secretary, in which Holmes and Watson go to Edinburgh to solve 2 murders in a castle said to be haunted by the ghost of Queen Mary Stuart.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 9:00 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Both sounds good. I'm aware about Altered Carbon but just heard about Alienist. I like Hannibal, so it's probably my cup of tea.

Anyone watches Black Mirror? I'm trying to find a way to watch that as it's highest on my list now.

I also love Hannibal, and yes I think if you like it you will like the Alienist. It is also beautiful to look at, like Hannibal, but in a different more vintage style.

18 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

Richard Ayoade is fantastic. I first saw him on The IT Crowd as Moss. Brilliant role.

I've been watching Cunk on Britain at the moment. Philomena Cunk (Diane Morgan) has the mental agility of a small soap dish and travels around Britain destroying British history and culture with her stupidity. She interviews experts and historians with reactions that run from wry tolerance to suppressed anger at her moronic questions. Very funny, but I worry that some of the chavs will take her seriously.

I adore Ayoade in the IT Crowd- so funny and well-observed in that role.

16 hours ago, Hikari said:

FYI on The Alienist, if anybody is interested in going to the source material:  The show is from a series of novels published in the 1990s by novelist Caleb Carr.  Mr. Carr is a Sherlockian who modeled his psychiatrist-hero Dr. Lazlo Kriezler, on aspects of Sherlock Holmes.  Carr also penned a Sherlockian pastiche novel called The Italian Secretary, in which Holmes and Watson go to Edinburgh to solve 2 murders in a castle said to be haunted by the ghost of Queen Mary Stuart.

Thank you, I am most interested in this. All roads really do lead back to Sherlock! I'm so glad it is based on a series, I have high hopes for more seasons of this. The acting is just incredible. In terms of female roles, this show has the edge over BBC Sherlock- they are equally as well written and developed as the men.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've begun "Gunpowder" (with a DVD I brought back from England: no French version or subtitles, no temptation).  It is really focused on historical facts, most of the characters are real ones, and as much as I understand, there are very few fictional storylines. The way the plot is explained is very clear, and the geopolitical developments of the highest interest . Some critics had been upset by a "gunpowder plot for dummies"- side, owing to the slow rhythm of the storytelling sometimes. That's perfect for viewers like me whose -very limited- studies in British history are quite far away.

However, we get interesting developments about the psychology of the characters (who will choose violence in front of repression and why? Who will praise pacifism and why? What about your humanity when you are raised and have to survive in the sphere of political power?-Mycroftian question). The actors are all very impressive, and Mark Gatiss really frightened me when he was left alone with Catesby's son...The scènes of torture and exécutions are an ordeal, even if I was less shocked than I expected owing to what I read here and there. The psychological tension and the suspense moments, like in the opening scene, impressed me much more, and I thought of the repression on French resistence during the nazi occupation. The setting and its systematic dark sides are a little boring, the directors have seen too many Rembrandt's paintings IMHO.

Well, of course the thing is, there is no real suspense for the outcome, but this small series remains something very interesting and I absolutely don't regret to have dedicated time to it.

• Like 1

It came out for bonfire night last year, stars Kit Harrington from Game of Thrones. And yup, it's the story of Guy Fawkes and his fellow conspirators. 

• Thanks 1

You're right, but the story focuses more on another mastermind of the plot, Robert Catesby, who was the one who enlisted Guy Fawkes. Fawkes was the most well-known member of the troop as he was the first one caught under the British parliament with the explosive powder by Robert Cecil (the king's servant played by Mark Gatiss in a very much more frightening way than Mycroft's).

Since we were talking about Richard Ayoade a while ago, here he is in fine form on a quiz show. :D

tumblr_p4b4lcNk5q1qmvpbro1_250.gif tumblr_p4b4lcNk5q1qmvpbro2_250.gif

• Like 1

Does anyone watch Red Dwarf, the old episodes not the new ones, not seen those. And, what I'm really curious about, can folks from other countries understand Lister's accent? And yes, that is a cigarette pack he's talking into. :D

And inkeeping with the space theme, has anyone seen the episode of Black Mirror 4.1 USS Callister? It starts off as a parody of Star Trek but gets increasingly sinister, I really enjoyed it. 

5 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

... can folks from other countries understand Lister's accent?

That's the human?  I can understand him well enough to follow, though when he rolls his R's and such, I tend to lose the word completely.  (I can understand the hologram better.)

Odd, I didn't recognize it.  My father-in-law is originally from Liverpool, but he sounds more like the Beatles than Lister does.

I think Lister is hardcore Scouse, lol. Not to say it's made up, I used to work with someone who's Scouse accent was even stronger than that. It was particularly, er, phlegmy sounding. But then a lot of the girls around here sound like screeching seagulls so every area has it's cross to bear. 

22 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

... a lot of the girls around here sound like screeching seagulls ....

I must say, I've never heard any human who sounds like a screeching seagull -- unless, of course, they were intentionally mimicking a screeching seagull.  But I will take your word for it!

I kind of like the local accent around here.  I suppose a lot of people from elsewhere would automatically assume that anyone with such an accent is both stupid and ignorant, but of course that's not true.  To me, it just sounds like home.  :smile: