Bakerstreet Irregular

"A Study in Scarlet"

I actually thought the Mormon section was in some ways more interesting than the rest of the story .... it was just a weird story structure to my modern sensibilities. Although the way the two stories came together at the end was pretty neat.

• Like 2

it is interesting, how two different reading cultures are attuned to processing things differently. I wonder if the Victorians would be puzzled reading contemporary lit from our time - "but i never know who's speaking! what's happening? And why is there no descriptions of the interior decor?" :p

• Like 3

:lol5:

it is interesting, how two different reading cultures are attuned to processing things differently. I wonder if the Victorians would be puzzled reading contemporary lit from our time - "but i never know who's speaking! what's happening? And why is there no descriptions of the interior decor?" :P

I'm sure you're right.  We are all a product of our times.

I will admit to losing track of who's speaking at times myself, even with novels written a few decades ago, and have to go back to the most recent "he said" and then count forward.

• Like 1

A STUDY IN SCARLET is an excellent story; I've just started reading all of the 60 Sherlock Holmes stories again (this will be my third time through them all), in chronological order; starting, of course, with this one. 

• Like 1

Hi Douglas, 

Enjoy the read. If you ever speak to anyone who plays The Great Game they would tell you that the stories as Doyle wrote them weren’t in chronological order. Many books have been written and many debates have been had on the subject of the chronologies of the the stories.....but that’s a different world and one that you might not want to enter. I enter occasionally and it’s a minefield😃

chronologically speaking the first Holmes story was The Gloria Scott which took place before Holmes met Watson, followed by The Musgrave Ritual then A Study In Scarlet. Chronologically the last story was His Last Bow but the last story that Doyle wrote was Shoscombe Old Place.

Now that I’ve bored you to death I’ll go😃

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Hi Douglas, 

Enjoy the read. If you ever speak to anyone who plays The Great Game they would tell you that the stories as Doyle wrote them weren’t in chronological order. Many books have been written and many debates have been had on the subject of the chronologies of the the stories.....but that’s a different world and one that you might not want to enter. I enter occasionally and it’s a minefield😃

chronologically speaking the first Holmes story was The Gloria Scott which took place before Holmes met Watson, followed by The Musgrave Ritual then A Study In Scarlet. Chronologically the last story was His Last Bow but the last story that Doyle wrote was Shoscombe Old Place.

Now that I’ve bored you to death I’ll go😃

Hello Herlock,

No: you haven't bored me to death at all!! And in fact: thank you so much for this! I find it very interesting! I have a very vague recollection of reading one of the stories, a long time ago: in which Sherlock himself narrates the story, because it was before he met the good Doctor: but I couldn't remember which story that was! So thanks so much for this! I really do appreciate it; and it's very good of you to write this! And by the way: I must say that  that "The Great Game" game sounds very "interesting"!! Yes, I must admit that it might be a bit too much for my old mental constitution to cope with!! 

Anyway, thanks so much once again, Herlock (love you name, by the way!); as it's always good to talk with you. 

Take care.

Kindest Regards, always,

Douglas

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Douglas said:

Hello Herlock,

No: you haven't bored me to death at all!! And in fact: thank you so much for this! I find it very interesting! I have a very vague recollection of reading one of the stories, a long time ago: in which Sherlock himself narrates the story, because it was before he met the good Doctor: but I couldn't remember which story that was! So thanks so much for this! I really do appreciate it; and it's very good of you to write this! And by the way: I must say that  that "The Great Game" game sounds very "interesting"!! Yes, I must admit that it might be a bit too much for my old mental constitution to cope with!! 

Anyway, thanks so much once again, Herlock (love you name, by the way!); as it's always good to talk with you. 

Take care.

Kindest Regards, always,

Douglas

No problem Douglas. When I first joined the Forum, being amongst others who are primarily Sherlock fans, I worried about boring people with Holmesian neediness but I was warmly welcomed. As far as I know there is possibly only Hikari and myself who prefer the original Holmes (we both love Sherlock too though.) So there’s a wide range of discussion here.👍

The Great Game is not for everyone and by no means compulsory. I only dabble on the outer fringes but there are some very readable and enjoyable biographies of Holmes. We even have his birthdate on 6th January 1854 ( 5 years before Doyle!) People who play The Game will debate on the true location of 221b, to how many times Watson was married, to why his wife got his name wrong or how Watson’s war wound moved from his shoulder to his leg (Doyle wasn’t great with details🙂)

Enjoy A Study In Scarlet. Doyle only got paid £20 for it originally but if you owned a copy of the very first appearance of Holmes in print you would have to pay rather more than that.

• Like 1

Thanks so much, once again, Herlock; Yes, I might have a quick look at THE GREAT GAME, just out of curiosity! 

Kindest Regards, always,

Douglas

5 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Hi Herlock,

Thanks so much for this Link; I've just finished reading the article now; it was very interesting! And I see what you mean; about the order of the stories! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

The Great Game was started by Monsignor Ronald A. Knox with his essay "Studies in the Literature of Sherlock Holmes" in 1928 when he was a student at Oxford.

Edit: Just looked it up. It was written in 1911.

And thanks, Sheerluck! 

• Like 1

Oh man. I just peeked at that ... I could kill whole days on this kind of stuff! Weeks, possibly. Alas, I must return to slogging through tax returns ... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Oh man. I just peeked at that ... I could kill whole days on this kind of stuff! Weeks, possibly. Alas, I must return to slogging through tax returns ... 

Whole books have been written Arcadia😃

I know, that's my point. It looks like fun but once I'm down the rabbit hole..... I should have started younger, when I had the time. Aha, that's it! It's all my teachers' faults! They should have introduced me to Holmes as a kid! Then I would have had a whole lifetime to catch up...

• Like 1

Believe it or not Arcadia that’s the way that I feel too. Although I’ve loved all things Holmes for 30+ years it’s only in the last few that my interest has approached insanity levels🙂 I’ve dipped my toes into The Great Game by reading quite a few books but my knowledge doesn’t even remotely approach the level of real experts (like Klinger, Marcum and others.) I wish that I’d joined the Game years ago. It’s a minefield of complications.

But to someone who doesn’t want to invest the time, effort and money there are still some excellent ‘biographies’ of Sherlock Holmes available at reasonable prices. They read easily and enjoyably and don’t assume any level of expertise on behalf of the reader. It’s just like reading a biography of a person that existed (which Holmes did of course👍)

• Like 2

If you want to keep abreast of the latest in The Game I would suggest becoming a member of the Sherlock Holmes Society of London. There is a journal published twice a year with many great articles and then there is the social aspect of it. If you don't want to go that far there's still a wealth of information on the interwebs. One of my favourites is this map of Holmes' London.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sheerluck said:

If you want to keep abreast of the latest in The Game I would suggest becoming a member of the Sherlock Holmes Society of London. There is a journal published twice a year with many great articles and then there is the social aspect of it. If you don't want to go that far there's still a wealth of information on the interwebs. One of my favourites is this map of Holmes' London.

Hi Sheerluck,

im already a member thanks👍 That map is a good one🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Sheerluck -- I hadn't known about that map.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, Sheerluck said:

OMG, that map is awesome! Thanks Sheerluck!

• Like 1

By the way, Sheerluck ... your avatar, is that from the Sherlock manga?

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

By the way, Sheerluck ... your avatar, is that from the Sherlock manga?

It is indeed. I recently got my hands on the first two volumes and will read them after I've rewatched the series again. I'm looking forward to picking up the third volume.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sheerluck said:

It is indeed. I recently got my hands on the first two volumes and will read them after I've rewatched the series again. I'm looking forward to picking up the third volume.

Let me know what you think, k? I love manga but for some reason haven't felt compelled to pick these up ... I think I'm afraid they'll spoil the show for me, or something. Maybe it's the style that puts me off? I tend more towards the Rumiko Takahashi/Yoshikazu Yasuhiko styles. Old school. XD

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Let me know what you think, k? I love manga but for some reason haven't felt compelled to pick these up ... I think I'm afraid they'll spoil the show for me, or something. Maybe it's the style that puts me off? I tend more towards the Rumiko Takahashi/Yoshikazu Yasuhiko styles. Old school. XD

I certainly will. I don't read much manga, but I had to have these.

• Thanks 1