Benedict Cumberbatch in "The Fifth Estate"

Caya

There's an interview with the film's director, Bill Condon, here, including a trailer:

Someone posted a quote from John F. Kennedy on Facebook. It essentially states that if the people cannot trust the government to let it's citizens judge for themselves what is truth or falsehood in an open market, then, it is a nation afraid of it's people.

Someone posted a quote from John F. Kennedy on Facebook. It essentially states that if the people cannot trust the government to let it's citizens judge for themselves what is truth or falsehood in an open market, then, it is a nation afraid of it's people.

tumblr_mq31yzN2tj1snnjboo1_500.jpg

• Like 1

Via Moriarty's Skull:

tumblr_mq3f63wvy81r3qiywo5_400.giftumblr_mq3f63wvy81r3qiywo2_400.gif

The left one is Julian Assange at the CCC conference (the link above has more of these gifs).

• 1 month later...

Julan Assange on Benedict Cumberbatch and his accent:

Given Assange's (understandable) dislike for the whole project, that was surprisingly positive.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interview from the Toronto International Film Festival not only, but mostly about The Fifth Estate. Bonus: mention of a new film project (Lost City Of Z).

This one's short but fun.

Apparently Lost City of Z replaces >Crimson Peak< (which he has now bowed out of) in Cumberbatch's busy schedule.

I like the title better, at least!  ;)

Wow, not only can Mr. Cumberbatch play Sherlock he is actually taking lessons from the famous Consulting Detective and able to not only to see but to observe!

• Like 1

I've heard him mentioning that in some interview before (not sure which one, sorry), that he couldn't help but do that observation thing occasionally now; like sitting on a train, bored, and noticing the indentation where a wedding ring used to be on a fellow passenger's finger.

Press round-up for (not only, but mostly) The Fifth Estate:

The peculiar charm of Benedict Cumberbatch is a long, detailed review/interview combo in the Guardian(eta: they added a transcript), giving space to background information (and linking to an Assange interview by the same author). Of particular interest to us Sherlockians is the following BC quote about Sherlock, near the end:

"I felt very sentimental on the last day of shooting, thinking, 'Oh, I've got to say goodbye to him again.' He's F***ing hard work, always has been, but I love him, and I got sad that I wasn't going to see him again for a while." (emphasis mine)

If that isn't as good as a confirmation of season four, I don't know what is :).

TIFF 2013: The Fifth Estate (2013) is a film review by a self-admitted BC fan, who praises the performances but is rather unimpressed by the script and direction. Tries to be very balanced and thorough.

Toronto: Which Benedict Cumberbatch Performance Is Right for You? is the tl;dr version, covering all three films in a short, funny article. Good primer and now I'm so looking forward to that scene in Twelve Years that he mentioned ;).

The author of that middle article seems to use most of his ink assuring us, "It's not all that bad!"  I don't see many movies, and judging by what I've seen and read about Fifth Estate, I'll probably give it a miss, a fine performance by Mr. Cumberbatch notwithstanding.

I must say, though, that I'm really looking forward to another film that he's lined up to star in, The Imitation Game.  Not only is it likely to be another sterling performance by Cumberbatch, but more to the point in my estimation, how often do I get a chance to see a film about a mathematician?  In this case, the mathematician is Alan Turing, who headed the successful British effort to break the Nazi code during Word War II, and single-handedly invented modern computing and artificial intelligence in the process.

" ... I wasn't going to see him again for a while."

If that isn't as good as a confirmation of season four, I don't know what is :).

Or at least that Benedict Cumberbatch wants another season just as badly as we do!  ;)

Just finished reading the long article that Martina linked to above, and noticed this bunch of very mild (if you've been following the filming news at all) Series 3 spoilers:

He won't reveal much about the new series, beyond a coy, "Well, there's a reunion that doesn't necessarily go to plan. And there's a bonding experience that throws Sherlock and Watson back together in a very firm way. And there's a new union as well, in the shape of a marriage, which Sherlock takes part in, so we see that."

Well, bit early to start a new thread about The Imitation Game, but (courtesy of cumberbabe1976 on tumblr) here's a photo for you, Carol:

tumblr_mtf9q6qamr1sj2ia0o1_1280.jpg

eta: and one more, courtesy of Ruther's twitter.

BUoZz95CMAAQuB_.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, thanks, Martina.  I'm always amazed when an actor, in this case Mr. Cumberbatch, somehow manages to resemble a historical figure to whom he personally bears very little physical resemblance.  I don't know whether there's any film footage of Turing or not -- what he was doing during the war was very hush-hush, of course, and he didn't live much longer than that -- but it'd be interesting to see whether Cumberbatch is also taking on his mannerisms and vocal qualities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just watched this film yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. It's actually a lot more entertaining than I expected. BC is fantastic in it (no surprises there) and I found Assange to be a fascinating character (the way he's portrayed here anyway, I don't know much about the real guy).

I'd say it's worth a watch.

I also watched 'August: Osage County' which I hated. Had myself a little BC fest but should have skipped this one, I actually started playing games on my kindle in the middle of it :/

I saw "The Fifth Estate" a couple of times at the cinema and thought it was very good. It has been consistently under-rated. Benedict's performance as Julian Assange was mesmerising.

I also liked "August. Osage County" - Julia Roberts was much better than I expected - but Benedict wasn't in it nearly enough. Looking forward to "The Imitation Game" where, hopefully, he will be the star. Also, it will make a lot more people aware of Turing's importance and the injustice done to him.

• 2 months later...

Finally, I got a chance to see "The Fifth Estate" and I must say, I have no idea why most of the reviews I read were so negative. I bloody loved that film! I thought it was extremely intelligent, interesting, suspenseful and didn't take any kind of a simplistic stand on the touchy subject(s) it handled. The acting was very good - yeah, Benedict Cumberbatch was pretty much type cast, but he did a superb job and I have always been a bit of a fan of Daniel Brühl... And the ending was perfect. Absolutely perfect.

What I particularly liked was that in the last scenes, where Assange is supposed to be giving an interview where he criticizes the film and it's intent, he looks and speaks a lot more like the real person as I have seen him in interviews than the Julian we see during the rest of the movie - as if to drive home the point that this is not a portrait of the man, but a version of his story as told by Domscheit-Berg, so another man's view of him. Very cleverly done!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just got and watched the film today.  I think it was $3.99 to "rent" it via Itunes for the day, but I found it for .80 + $3 in shipping on eBay, so I snatched it up.  Anyhow...

I think I need to think about it for a while because my first impression was not in agreement with T.O.B.Y's.  So let me think about it some more and see if I change my mind.  

So the part where Assange tells of all of his different aliases - the way that scene is shown made me think MIND PALACE!!!  :P

Also, is it just me or is there something Sherlockian about this Assange? ..

"You hacked NASA?!"

[in his Sherlock voice] "It wasn't actually that difficult."

LOVE THIS!!  :lol:

Edit: Upon finishing the movie, I am not sure I like the direction they took in the last 1/2 hour. It did seem like they were out to make Assange look like a self-centered jerk, but that is no surprise since it is based on the book by his buddy Daniel who seemed to be rather jealous of his spotlight, or at least acting to some other agenda. Ugh. Did not like the ending. To me, it was Daniel who seemed like the jerk, and the constant "moral" phrases of his girlfriend were even more annoying. 

• 1 year later...

I have seen it now, on the same platform I found Wreckers, but it has Polish voice-over, so I won't recommend it to you (as well as TIG, which I will see next)

It's a complicated movie about even more complicated issue. I think it will stay with me for a while. I do like the ending. Visually it was stunning, but not even. I saw a person who was oscillating between two looks - there were moments when I saw Ben, and then I have seen Assange, as I have seen him in pics and interviews. Which is incredible if you remember how different those two faces are.

Yes, I think we cannot help but having Sherlock moments: the NASA comment, mind palace scenes and also the last lines from the final interview, when Assange is telling you "do your research" in other words.

As for the truth - to be honest I don't know much about Assange, but the impression I had of him was: "handle with care".

Anyway, it's not a movie you want to watch with your family on Sunday evening, but I might come back to it some time.