Mobile/Computer Version changing

I really didn't know what to put for the title. Anyway, I use this website on 3 devices, my laptop, "my" (our family's) iPad, and my phone. This is what happens: I go on my phone, using the mobile version. I use my iPad, using the mobile version. I go on my laptop, and it's automatically the mobile version. I change it to the computer version. post, read stuff etc. then I come off my laptop. I use my phone. My phone is automatically set to the computer version. my phone takes ages to load on the computer version, but eventually I can change to the mobile version. My question is: would it be posssible for the version not to change while on the same device? So if my phone is on mobile and my laptop is on computer they don't change? I could of course keep everything on mobile, but it's just the computer version is a lot better...especially when you're using a computer! :)

I've hidden the two duplicate threads.

I see your problem and I sympathize.   :(   Maybe Undead Medic will have a suggestion.

I think they've fixed the punctuation problem with one of the updates! It seems to work fine now. (This was posted using the mobile skin !!! ??? """''')

As for the switching problem I can speculate that the preference choice is stored server side, and not on the user's device, hence the problem with the skin switching.

If you have an Android, Windows Phone or iOS mobile device you can install the Tapatalk app which may be one workaround.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find a more robust solution in the meantime.

Yeah, the punctuation seems to have been fixed but I think I joined so recently that I never experienced that...

I'll try Tapatalk...except what is Tapatalk? (I tried to do italic on the "is" but I'm on mobile so I tried to type out the thing (what is it called?) but I might have memorised it wrong so sorry if it doesn't work...) I understand it's an app, but...what does it do?

It's called BBCode.  And you must have done it just right, because I'm seeing italics.

But I'm afraid I'm no help whatsoever regarding Tapatalk.

Tapatalk is an app which basically acts as a portal or viewer as it were, presenting topics and posts from any enabled forum through its own interface. The advantage of this is that you can access many different forums all from the same app, and all of the functions and tools are identical from forum to forum because they are contained within the app, not the forum itself. The downside is that not all forum admins have installed or know how to install the plugin to enable Tapatalk, so support for it can be a little patchy. But if you are a member of a good few forums it can be invaluable in that it can be set to give you push notifications of new topics, answers, DMs etc. making it much easier to manage multiple forum accounts by unifying them all into one interface.

• Like 1

/>

It's called BBCode. And you must have done it just right, because I'm seeing italics.

But I'm afraid I'm no help whatsoever regarding Tapatalk.

Ok thanks. I can do italics without being on a computer then! What's HTML then? I just don't know this kind of stuff...;)

Without going into detail, you can use both to tell the the computer how to display stuff (italics and such); if it looks like this <...> it's HTML, if it looks like this [...] it's BBCode.

• Like 2

HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language.

You did ask. Kind of...

As to what it is, it's the skeleton upon which most websites were built letting you see pretty stuff without all the lines of code. BB code is kind of a simplified version of HTML.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

To further answer Zelda's question, the important difference here is that you can use BBCode when posting on this forum (and many others). I don't believe that HTML would work here.

I'm having a different problem:

... is there some way to keep the software from randomly switching me to the Mobile version when I'm on my phone? (For one thing, a version change always seems to wipe out the post I had almost finished typing!)

I prefer to use the Full Version even on my cellphone. The above problem currently seems to occur mainly (perhaps only) when I refresh a page. When I want to update my New Content page, I sometimes use Chrome's refresh button and sometimes just click "View New Content." Either method will switch me to the Mobile Version maybe one time out of ten (I've never actually kept track).

Is anyone else experiencing this sort of unsolicited version change?