Jeremy Brett

Alice Holmes

Here's a link to that photo -- and I do see the resemblance!

As far as I can see, Wikipedia puts no restrictions whatsoever on copying their photos.  I believe they allow only photos in the public domain to be posted in the first place.  I would have copied that one, except that with Photobucket now being useless for all practical purposes, I wouldn't know where to copy it *to*.

• Like 2

Yep! (keeping it 'Sherlock' ^_^ ) That's the one! Unfortunately it cannot be copied from Wikipedia!

Speaking of whom, PlaidAdder has completed her re-watch of the entire Granada Holmes and posted it both in her tumblr page and in Ao3 as a meta : The Best and Wisest Adaptation... with links and GIFs and all the bells and whistles!

Hello! I couldn't resist reading this thread, and I am very interested in Jeremy Brett (Not-BBC Sherlock Holmes). But, do you know where I can find those Sherlock Holmes series? And, where did you watch them in the first place? I am very eager to know.   :popcorn:

• Like 1

Yep! (keeping it 'Sherlock' ^_^ ) That's the one! Unfortunately it cannot be copied from Wikipedia!

Speaking of whom, PlaidAdder has completed her re-watch of the entire Granada Holmes and posted it both in her tumblr page and in Ao3 as a meta : The Best and Wisest Adaptation... with links and GIFs and all the bells and whistles!

Hello! I couldn't resist reading this thread, and I am very interested in Jeremy Brett (Not-BBC Sherlock Holmes). But, do you know where I can find those Sherlock Holmes series? And, where did you watch them in the first place? I am very eager to know.   :popcorn:

Get thee to Amazon.com!

• Like 1

Yep! I bought the entire DVD collection at a very reasonable price, without many extras. But YouTube is full of both Sherlock Holmes and his other work, like My Fair Lady, The Ideal Husband, Affairs of the Heart, etc.

And April_May, heartily welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Get thee to Amazon.com!

Yep! I bought the entire DVD collection at a very reasonable price, without many extras. But YouTube is full of both Sherlock Holmes and his other work, like My Fair Lady, The Ideal Husband, Affairs of the Heart, etc.

And April_May, heartily welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much to both of you!  :)  Inge l-w, I am very happy to know your very own Sherlock Holmes is someone different. I don't know, I think I just like different opinions (although, for me at this time, whenever I think about Sherlock Holmes I think about the BBC series  :angel2: ). Also, thank you so much for receiving me on the forum  ^_^

• Like 1

... I am very interested in Jeremy Brett (Not-BBC Sherlock Holmes). But, do you know where I can find those Sherlock Holmes series? And, where did you watch them in the first place?

Aprilmay, I don't believe anyone has answered your second question.  I don't know whether the Brett series was ever shown where you live, but it originally ran (between 1984 and '94) in the UK on the ITV channel, and also aired at about the same time on PBS television in the United States.

• Like 1

... I am very interested in Jeremy Brett (Not-BBC Sherlock Holmes). But, do you know where I can find those Sherlock Holmes series? And, where did you watch them in the first place?

Aprilmay, I don't believe anyone has answered your second question.  I don't know whether the Brett series was ever shown where you live, but it originally ran (between 1984 and '94) in the UK on the ITV channel, and also aired at about the same time on PBS television in the United States.

Thank you so much! :)  (I wonder how do you know all that, I don't know, it's a lot to remember (or maybe you're reading it on the Wikipedia, whatever, it doesn't matter, sorry if I'm rude :( )) But thank you so much, really!!! But, I think nobody recorded the series, right? 

Mostly memory, but I looked up some on Wikipedia to be sure.

I didn't tape the series myself, no, but I have more recently purchased the DVD set.

Again, sorry if I have been rude. It is so great that you have purchased de DVD set  ^_^  Is it on Amazon too?

Again, sorry if I have been rude. It is so great that you have purchased de DVD set  ^_^  Is it on Amazon too?

Yes. It is. Don't mind me, this sometimes happens in my brain. Yes, I do forget the main idea of things sometimes in my daily life. 

• Like 1

Yes. It is. Don't mind me, this sometimes happens in my brain. Yes, I do forget the main idea of things sometimes in my daily life.

Not a problem!  We all space out now and then.  And don't worry, you haven't been the least bit rude.  Plus you've posted some interesting stuff.

• Like 3

Oh, I pestered and plagued by lovely Dad to record them when they aired way back then on ZDF, but, of course, they were dubbed, so it was heavenly to get the boxed set as an adult and listen to THAT voice! Not only BC has a nice timbre, Jeremy Brett was in the school choire at Eton and is seen singing a medieval song in The Bruce-Partington plans, probably in preference to shooting the wall out of sheer boredom and frustration :D

P.S. And nobody EVER forget that the fanfiction beloved expression 'brother mine' was first spoken by Brett in the Greek Interpreter and later in the Mazarin Stone. But the Moftisses have been magpying Granada Holmes forever, without due attribution. It's always The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes this, and TPLOS that, with a smattering of Rathbone Holmes as a smokescreen!

• Like 1

Hi all, I apologise if I'm telling you something that you already know but there's a little known gem on YouTube. It was recorded for the 1992 Telethon and it's called The Four Oaks Mystery. It was a short crime drama in 4 parts, each one starring a famous fictional detective. The first one stars Jeremy Brett as Holmes and Edward Hardwick as Watson. It's only around 15 minutes long but worth seeing. If you haven't seen it before it's almost like Brett's been brought back to life to play Holmes again!

• Like 1

Don't worry, HS -- there are often multiple threads that would be perfectly reasonable places to put a particular piece of information, so it's easy for two people to put them in two different places.  It's good to have that short film mentioned on Jeremy Brett's own thread.

• Like 1

As this is a Brett thread, and people will naturally debate whose was the best portrayal of Holmes and, if anyone hasn't seen him, how good was Brett, it's worth remembering that Jeremy once received a letter from Jean Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur's daughter, in which she wrote 'you are the Sherlock Holmes of my childhood.'

You can't get a much better

• Like 3

There's an interview of JB with Wogan where Dame Jean's accolade is mentioned, and another where he says how he is a 'becomer ', meaning that he literally inhabits the part, and how he has created a whole world around the character, like having a nanny who was all starch and scrubbing but very little kissing and cuddling. As for the little video, it was part of a telethon to raise money for charity, a bit like Benedict's ice bucket challenge a few years ago.

It's interesting that it seems that Brett's portrayal 'grew' on Dame Jean. There's an interview with her where she's asked about the best portrayals and she said that, at the time, she felt that Rathbone was the most accurate. I think that she was slightly put off at first by Brett's idiocyncracies. She also felt that Holmes would never have been rude or dismissive. I seem to remember that she may have mentioned Wontner too who, in my opinion, was the first great 'talking' Holmes. She also met Brett at least once. Her opinion of his portrayal must have grown in time.

Since, for me, the Granada series is the ultimate Sherlock Holmes portrayal, warts and all, I have been doing a re-watch, as per PlaidAdder's instructions, to see in what small points our views differ, and have just discovered that the whole Mind Palace thing is not only straight from Sir Arthur, it's also beautifully shown in The Musgrave Ritual in the crypt. Magpies, magpies, magpies, La Gazza Ladra doubled, for Messrs Moffat and Gatiss, not to mention the introduction of the ubiquitous 'brother mine' by Jeremy Brett, which in this modern adaptation is most often given to Mycroft, in a double twist.

• Like 1

Douglas, I second that wholeheartedly!

Dear HerlockSholmes, you have taken the moniker of the great detective as he appears in the Maurice Leblanc stories, how come? Just curious, ^_^

• Like 1

I have a collection of Herlock Sholmes stories in quite a large book. I'm not at home at the moment and I couldn't recall the author. I also use that name to post on a Jack The Ripper forum.

• Like 1

Irrelevant to the thread but earlier today I 'toasted' everyone on the forum with a cup of tea at Speedy's. Someone came out of 221b but it wasn't Sherlock though. Also think I might have found a Sherlock site. I haven't seen the series for a while and I'm not at home but I think it was the fistt meeting with an irregular (not the graffitti one though) if I recall correctly he gets out of a taxi, goes up some steps and gives someone some money. Can someone point me in the direction of the scene so I can double check that I'm right. I could be mistaken though

Sounds like the scene in Great Game where he gives a homeless gal 50GBP to get him info on the Golem. Then she shows up later at Baker Street with a note that says Vauxhall Arches.

• Like 1

So anyhow, were you at one end of umm I forget which bridge, by a bench under the bridge itself? That's where Sherlock said they were.