who is the best Sherlock Holmes

a fan of  O.S.H

I grew up with Basil Rathbone so he does hold a special place in my Sherlockania. But I did love Jeremy Brett's interpretation so very much. I do wish he had been able to complete Granada's ambitious plan to dramatize all 60 of Sir Arthur's stories. He is the best Victorian Sherlock I have seen yet.

There are a whole lot of inter-related questions here.  Which adaptation of Holmes is the best?  Which of them has the best actor?  Which actor's interpretation of Holmes is the best?  (With "best" in each question naturally meaning each person's favorite.)

I haven't seen every conceivable adaptation of the stories, but of those I have seen, I would have to agree with OSH that Brett's performance is clearly the quintessential Holmes.  No argument there!  It's an adaptation primarily in the sense that its medium is television instead of paper.

However, "adaptation" covers a much wider territory (including, e.g., The Great Mouse Detective), and I must say that my favorite adaptation is (of course) Sherlock.

• Like 1

However, "adaptation" covers a much wider territory (including, e.g., The Great Mouse Detective), and I must say that my favorite adaptation is (of course) Sherlock.

No argument from me there.

For the most true to ACD interpretation, I would also have to go with Jeremy Brett - he IS the Victorian Holmes, no doubt about it.

Having said that, he's not my favourite Holmes - that's BC, because Sherlock is my favourite version.

• 1 month later...

My opinion here is spectacularly unqualified, because I have never seen any other adaptation than Sherlock and don't even intend to. Because I think Sherlock is so good, I can't imagine any other - it would only spoil the image.

I can't quite decide at times whether I like Sherlock better than the original Holmes as written by Arthur Conan Doyle. The modern version is certainly better written and has a more interesting, more flawed, more believable personality.

• 1 month later...

Jeremy Brett, he is my first Sherlock, and he introduced me to the character^^

But I have to admit, without Cumberbatch, I don't have many choice, I only know Robert Downey Junior, and Jonny Lee Miller who is not, to me, a good Sherlock. Probably because of the show (Elementary) which seems to be a bad remake of Sherlock.

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen most of the 'Sherlocks' and feel all of them had something to give to the part.

I really like Benedict in the part now, as he has brought 'Holmes' into the 21st Century and hopefully will get a lot of younger people reading more books.

:sherlock2::watson::lestrade::hudson::moriarty::molly:

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the best actor who played Sherlock Holmes is Jeremy Brett. When I watched his series, having read the book version, I realised they were identical.

The same behaviour, the same expressions! It's amazing!! Although Sherlock Holmes is unparalleled, Jeremy Brett's performance is the most authentic according to the books.

• Like 1

Can I actually say that next to Sherlock my favourite adaptation of Sherlock Holmes actually is The Great Mouse Detective? :embarrassed:

• Like 1

Hey, the truth is the truth!  (And I don't believe you're the first one to say something along those lines, either.)

Hey mice are cute and very talented, you should hear them sing, it's quite heavenly, no joke. And if they can be crime fighting crusaders.....then I say, cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Benedict is, in my opinion, the finest Holmes - not just because of his physical presence, which is considerable, but because he is able to convey so many aspects of this complex human being.

I never would have thought I would like a modern version of the stories because I have loved the ACD originals since I was a child. I watch Elementary but I think it is pretty poor (the police are uninteresting and poor Lucy couldn't act her way out of a paper bag). Jonny Lee Miller is ok but I would find him more bearable if I didn't have to try to think of him as Holmes. If he was an original character, he would be bearable but he just isn't Sherlock.

Jeremy Brett was probably the best Victorian Holmes, though I have a soft spot for Douglas Wilmer (Holmes on tv when I was young) and Robert Stephens (in "The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes.")

For me, that's Cumberbatch, too.

Before Sherlock, I watched some other adaptions but more because of "there's nothing better on" than actual interest. I stumbled over Sherlock on a rec site, and I wasn't even that interested. Gave it a go because I had too much time but I wasn't that interested. Foolish past me... 

When he started to speak (we're starting with the riding crop), I suddenly had to look up and... I was mesmerized. To this day, there is no TV show that has ever made me read the books and rewatch every episode at least three times. Sure, the scripts and other actors are great as well, but Cumberbatch has got a presence that overshadows the actual "detective work". It's cliché but... you have to watch him. He fills the room.

For me the best Sherlock is Benedict but I have to admit that I haven't seen any other version except for the movies with RDJ. They weren't bad and they got me interested in Sherlock as the character but as I found out later, RDJ's Holmes has nothing to do with the character written by Doyle.

For me the best Sherlock is Benedict but I have to admit that I haven't seen any other version except for the movies with RDJ. They weren't bad and they got me interested in Sherlock as the character but as I found out later, RDJ's Holmes has nothing to do with the character written by Doyle.

Jeremy Brett, was a really good Holmes, ITV series, which Benedict based some of his characterisation of Sherlock on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

for me... the answer is 'whichever Holmes I am watching at that particular moment' :P

(if they're good, obviously)

Cumberbatch.... Brett.... Rathbone... Cushing..... Wilmer..... even Christopher Plummer is an unexpected new favourite...... there is too many to choose just one

cop out answer I know...!

• 5 months later...

For me, it's Jeremy.

And Basil.

And Benedict.

• 1 month later...