Hello Everybody And Welcome!

Undead Medic

Hello, Shapupa -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!   :welcome:

Whoever made these emoticons -> :sherlock2:  , I :inlove: and  :Worship: you!

That would be Undead Medic.  We all :inlove: him too!

• Like 1

Hello, Shapupa -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!   :welcome:

Whoever made these emoticons -> :sherlock2:  , I :inlove: and  :Worship: you!

That would be Undead Medic.  We all :inlove: him too!

That would indeed be me. welcome  to Sherlock Forum Shapupa. I'm glad you found us!

Oooh, HP? Given that you followed the lure of Sherlock fandom, may I venture a guess that I'm speaking to a fellow Snape fan ;)?

Must admit I really don't know anything about Twilight, though, never been my cuppa.

Is there a correlation between Snape fans and Sherlock fans?  That had never occurred to me -- but I'm certainly no counter-example!

You mean beside the fact that they're both tall, dark, intelligent, have a tenuous grasp of common courtesy, don't suffer fools gladly and are played by an actor with a melodious baritone voice? :lol:

Seriously, though, fandoms seem to follow certain paths in my experience; many Snape/Hermione shippers, just to pick an example, used to be Willow/Giles shippers. Snape-Sherlock correlation seemed a natural guess to me.

I see what you mean -- even though Hermione clearly belongs with Ron, because I want Snape for myself!   :rolleyes: 

I suppose I should point out that I'm a Sherlock (the show) fan, not primarily a Sherlock (the character) fan.  I do think that Sherlock is a terrific character, but my favorite is John.  Hope that doesn't mess up your statistics!

Not at all - I'm a John fangirl (aside: is there another term for this? sounds a bit stupid at my age) myself, in case you didn't guess that from my avatar :lol:. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate tall, dark and snarky :wub:. And if I had to pick a favourite from the Hogwarts crew, it'd probably be Remus - doesn't stop me from swooning over Snape's voice  B) (I have such a thing for English accents, especially delivered by a deep, mellow voice; if Alan Rickman, Patrick Stewart and Benedict Cumberbatch ever work together on a project, any project, I think I'll melt :D).

As you may have noticed, I prefer simply "fan" myself.  To me, "fangirl" sounds like a certain type of annoyingly vocal fan, regardless of age -- the type known as "Trekkies" (rather than "Trekkers") back in the day.

Oh, yes, I loved Remus -- and Sirius too.  But Snape -- well, it isn't just the voice for me, it's the whole character, so beautifully played.  (Hmm, do I have a soft spot for the tragic ones?)

True, that, and I actually liked the character even before the first movie came out, but then they cast him with Alan Rickman and that sealed the deal :).

Fan, hm, that sounds a little to generic to my ears; I mean, sure, I'm a John fan, but I'm also a Sherlock fan, and a Lestrade fan and well, pretty much all of them, maybe except for Donovan. What I'd like to express is an equivalent of OTP except for a single character.

That would indeed be me. welcome  to Sherlock Forum Shapupa. I'm glad you found us!

From a former forum admin to another admin, :Worship: . This is a really nice looking forum with lots of functionality and personalisation options.

Oooh, HP? Given that you followed the lure of Sherlock fandom, may I venture a guess that I'm speaking to a fellow Snape fan ?

Didn't see the correlation till I read your post. Why, yes, I'm a Snape fan. Besides the already mentioned common physical features, they're both two dark characters who appear to care only about themselves but who would actually go to great lengths to protect the people they care about. Who doesn't love a dark character with a twist? :whistle:

I'm actually with Carol, I now prefer fan instead of fangirl. Fangirl makes me think of the Twilight fans and as y'all probably know they're a bit...out there. That fandom really scared me for life :sofa: Not enough to not get involved in another one though. I blame Benedict!

Yes, still, fan is a bit ... generic, don't you think? I'm still stumped as to what to replace it with. Fangirl, groupie, all these terms are so derogatory, shipper is only for pairings, and specific terms, like (ahem) the Cumbercollective aren't applicable elsewhere - so what does that make Carol and me, Watsonians? :)

Glad to meet another Snape (sigh) fan, at any rate :wave2:. You sound positively scarred by your Twilight experience, though. What is that fandom like? Are they out for blood or do they make the fur fly?

Yeah, I'll let myself out now :picard:.

The (as you say, *ahem*) "Cumber Collective" refers of course to fans of a certain actor himself, whereas we were discussing what to call fans of a character.  Bit different.  On the other hand, I'm not so much a fan of John Watsons in general -- what has really grabbed me is Martin Freeman's performance as John Watson, as the character is written for the BBC Sherlock.  This could get complicated.

• Like 2

Okay, until we can find a more generic term, then, I hereby dub us "fiends" - as in, Freeman Is Extraordinary, No Doubt, in Sherlock :lol:.

• Like 3

Okay, until we can find a more generic term, then, I hereby dub us "fiends" - as in, Freeman Is Extraordinary, No Doubt, in Sherlock

Absolutely no doubt!

• Like 2

Ooh, I'm a FIEND, now. Jolly good. :devil:   halo.gif   :giggle:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I'm a sherlock fan (duh) and I love the BBC series but I also enjoy the Basil Rathbone Show, and the Original Conan Doyle short stories. This forum looks well organized and I think I will enjoy reading the speculations and such. Tata :wave: !

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody!

My name is Mary. I'm a Russian schoolgirl in age of 13.

I am a great fan of Sherlock yet my English is bad enough. This forum seems to be very friendly!

Hope I will enjoy reading this forum and chatting here :)

:welcome:    Hi Mary! So glad you found us. Yup, we are indeed a truly international community and proud of if. Don't worry about your English. We will help you along the way so don't be shy. Will love hearing your thoughts and ideas on our favorite obsession.

• Like 1

Hello Mary -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:  We're glad you found us.

The reason your first post didn't show up right away is that when anyone joins the forum, their first ten posts have to be approved by a staff member before they can be seen by others.  So just keep sharing your ideas with us, and you'll be past your first ten posts in no time!

• Like 1

Hello Mary and welcome :wave: ! So glad that Jane brought you here!

Don't worry about your English, many of us on this board have a different first language, and the native speakers are very patient with us :).

I absolutely adore your avatar pic :wub:.

• Like 1

Hi! My name is Jana and I'm from the Czech republic, so sorry for my English. I've been reading this forum for some time and now I decided that it's time to actually write something  :) I love the BBC Sherlock but unfortunately I haven't found any Czech Sherlock forum so I was really happy when I found this one  :)   

Hi Jana! :welcome: to Sherlock Forum. And congratulations for taking the plunge into posting. Don't worry about your English, it seems fine to me, and if you need any help with how to phrase things then the native speakers on here are usually more than happy to help.

:wave: