What about Sherlock's feelings for Molly?

kattholmes

/>

Steve Moffat: “And he adores Molly, of course he does. He loves her. I don’t think she has the same sort of crush on him anymore. She’s fascinated by him, but she knows that’s not who she actually wants to end up with.”

Oh phew. In that case, Sherlock and Molly are unlikely to be the next wedded couple in this series.

I have the impression that if series 3 was "about" anything, it was how the tables were turned for Sherlock, relationship-wise, after he came back "from the dead". Before, the few people whom he loved orbited around him. Molly had a crush on him and would do anything for a cheap compliment. John lived in his flat, did the shopping and all other "boring" stuff along with Mrs Hudson and rushed across London to find Sherlock wanted his phone or a pen. Then Sherlock was gone for two years and suddenly, his "planets" found how well their lives went on without him, meaning when he comes back, he is suddenly behind things and realizes, (too?) late, just how much the people whose loyalty he used to take for granted mean to him and how lost he would be without them.

the thing is, if it is as moffat says, he made things more interesting by having molly break it off with her boyfriend

Even Loo Brealey wants an answer to that question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHscS1d78XM

Sadly, I can't understand a thing in that clip. Is there a transcript somewhere? I haven't gotten to the end of this thread so maybe someone posted one and I haven't gotten to it:)

Loo 'Is there any hope for Molly'.

Benedict 'There is always hope for Molly. Thats the cruel thing'.

I prefer that dynamic in the relationship. If there was no hope it would become a very static relationship.

Although even if Sherlock had feelings I don't suspect he would ever express them; as it would put her in

danger from his enemies.

The rest of the clip is not about the Sherlock/Molly relationship but about Loo fancying Benedict in his

motorcycle gear. She also has a thing about his hair. She tweeted that she was allowed to play with it on

her birthday

• Like 1

sh has feelings for molly as one would a loving sibling. he has feeling for adler like i have feelings for julie christie ;)

I agree, at least about the Molly bit. ;) However, there are quite a few people out there who see something deeper there as far as Sherlock is concerned (I know, because I was recently attacked by a couple of them on tumblr. :rolleyes: ). To each his own, I guess.  B)  (That was in lieu of a shrugging smiley, since I couldn't find one.) 

• Like 1

I think Molly may have a massive crush on Sherlock and imagines herself with him but he will never have a proper relationship with her because her brain doesn't interest him.

:molly:  >  :inlove:     :sherlock2:             :sherlock2: > :sofa::molly:

• Like 2

I think Sherlock realizes that Molly is a genius in her own right. She is a scientist, can help him in the experiments at Bart's and knows what he is trying to accomplish. She is also very shy and socially inept. But he is so emotionally suppressed that any kind relationship would be difficult.

• Like 3

...there are quite a few people out there who see something deeper there as far as Sherlock is concerned (I know, because I was recently attacked by a couple of them on tumblr. :rolleyes: ).

I just never got the impression that Sherlock finds Molly attractive (i.e. sexy). I'm sure he's come to love her, more or less the way he loves John, he respects her and is grateful for and flattered by her admiration of him, but I think he was being honest (rather than intentionally cruel) when, in earlier episodes, he said deprecating things about her body.

Of late, though, it seemed to me that Sherlock was wondering more than ever if there "was something wrong" with him and Mycroft for not having regular relationships and that he at times thought he might be happier if he found somebody like John's Mary for himself. If Molly hadn't been engaged when he came back, who knows what would have happened, but I don't think it would have lasted long.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Yes I thought Sherlock was very sweet with Molly when he tried her out as being his partner.  He even asked her out for dinner.  I can't help but wonder if he thought even for a moment of a possibility of a just maybe...I mean here is someone he trusts as a friend, is smart, can assist him - like John only not forbidden ha.  I haven't watched this scene in a long time but my memory is that after he asks her to go with him, they start talking about her engagement, and he winds up walking away alone.  What happened that cancelled the dinner invitation?  Did he just try and gracefully step away once he realized she was moving on?  I always thought there something so sad and wistful about that scene. 

The way she watches him walk away alone down the road, nearly debating going after him, reminds me of the way he left the wedding alone, and there she was sadly watching but did not go after him.  Part of me is waiting for the day she does run after him like a fool and he does not brush her off but is grateful and maybe a little hopeful.

I never even realized I like Sherlock and Molly together until mid-way through this post lol.  But it doesn't matter, because a single Sherlock is not only more correct to the character but also more fun.  Let him stay above all that.  (but maybe just a twinge for Molly from time to time).  ;)

• Like 3

Yes I thought Sherlock was very sweet with Molly when he tried her out as being his partner.  He even asked her out for dinner.  I can't help but wonder if he thought even for a moment of a possibility of a just maybe...

I definitely think there was some hope on Sherlock's part that she'd become his personal version of a girlfriend, yes. And then he realized that she was engaged and decided she deserved something better, anyway.

My impression of Sherlock and Molly at this point is that they kind of missed each other, affection wise. While she had her worst crush on him, he wasn't interested and once he came round to at least wanting to maybe give it a try, she was over him enough to know that it would be a terrible idea. It's kind of sad, but kind of lovely and touching and, above all, believable, too. And I also think that Sherlock as a character works best when permanently single.

After Molly described Tom, Sherlock said, "Well, everyone you fall in love with can't be a sociopath."  The first time I heard that I thought, how terribly impudent! 

But as we've all said, after multiple viewings, we tend to change our minds about things, and now I think he was just, well, saying what he felt.

• Like 1

Not sure how I missed finding this thread before but it's a kick!

Why do people find the idea of Holmes having a regular relationship so appealing? ...

I suspect it's because most people believe a regular, romantic relationship makes one happy. (Statistical analysis seems to bear that out; married people as a group are healthier, live longer and report more satisfaction with their lives.) And fans love Sherlock, so they/we want to see him happy. Ergo, he needs to find someone. Alas, I rather fear Sherlock's fate is to be lonely and alone.

Well, I think he is capable of love (he certainly loves his closest friends and I think he had some feelings for Irene but I'm not sure whether it was love or just admiration) but isn't capable of having a romantic relationship. With his personality, I wonder what woman would want to be with him.

I do too, but unfortunately I know women who are with someone exactly like that. (By "that" I mean smart, narcissitic, controlling and manipulative.) How they put up with it is a mystery to me but somehow they do.

Sometimes I wonder why I even like Sherlock, but then I realize: it's because his personality is played for laughs, not as someone we should aspire to be. And, I suspect, because he's portrayed by this amazing actor...

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder why I even like Sherlock, but then I realize: it's because his personality is played for laughs, not as someone we should aspire to be. And, I suspect, because he's portrayed by this amazing actor...

Yes, I've often thought the same; that Sherlock is a character we're supposed to laugh at many times. He is often comical. Of course this does not always apply, and I'm glad, as I think I would tire from a character that I could never take seriously. Sherlock is amazing with all his character traits, and I guess someone could probably live with him, even in a romantic relationship, but they would have to be very independent and strong - honestly I have a bit of trouble picturing it even so.

I never thought of Sherlock having genuine feelings for Molly. It's an interesting idea, but I don't see it that way. He seems to me in TEH to be trying to make up for past behavior, and also trying to replace John, whom he thinks has given up on their friendship.

• Like 1

Yep, that's what I thought as well.

And I meant his "not so good" personality traits are mostly meant to amuse, the "great heart" side of him is quite properly heroic!

• Like 1

... my memory is that after he asks her to go with him, they start talking about her engagement, and he winds up walking away alone.  What happened that cancelled the dinner invitation?  Did he just try and gracefully step away once he realized she was moving on? ... The way she watches him walk away alone down the road, nearly debating going after him, reminds me of the way he left the wedding alone, and there she was sadly watching but did not go after him.

My impression has always been that the invitation was still open, but Molly chose not to take him up on it. She watches him walk away, and she's sort of still considering it, but then decides no.

I never thought of Sherlock having genuine feelings for Molly. It's an interesting idea, but I don't see it that way. He seems to me in TEH to be trying to make up for past behavior, and also trying to replace John, whom he thinks has given up on their friendship.

I assume you mean genuine romantic feelings? Because it's quite clear on the show by now that he really loves her as a friend, right? (Or isn't it?)

My interpretation of Sherlock and Molly and romance in general is roughly this:

Of course he's trying to replace John, or, more accurately I suppose, trying to find another close relationship to make up for the one he thinks he lost. What I see happening throughout series 3 is Sherlock realizing Mycroft is right - what "people do" is get married (i.e. find romantic love at some point) and it's going to leave him alone and lonely when all his friends are paired off. So some part of his funny old brain at least begins to wonder whether he shouldn't maybe try to find a woman himself, even though he knows it probably wouldn't work and doesn't really want it to, either. Molly is of course the first option that come to mind here. She's had a crush on him for years and until now, I guess he thought she'd be there for the asking at a moment's notice. But, she turns out to be engaged. Too bad. Well, not too bad for Molly. In The Sign of Three, we learn that he's been probably fantasizing about Irene, but has no idea where she is (and it's very doubtful that he'd really want to meet her again in the flesh... although who knows, Sherlock is just as attracted to danger as John). Then along comes Janine. Now, I am sure that Sherlock could have found other ways of getting into Magnussen's office (because Mary did, didn't she), but he chose to start an affair with his PA, (just like he chose to take drugs to offer Magnussen a pressure point). This serves the double purpose of Sherlock also trying out a "proper" relationship and proving to himself (and others) that yes, he can do this, he's not alone because nobody will have him but because he doesn't need love and he's above all that human weakness.

I don't see any hints that he finds Molly or Janine physically attractive, though he does class Janine among the "beautiful" during his wedding speech. Irene, yes, I saw plenty of attraction there.

As for Molly, I think she'll always be in love with Sherlock, but by series 3, she has realized that it would be a terrible idea to start a relationship with him and she wouldn't even say yes if he asked her to. I love her concern for him before and during the wedding speech. It's as if she identifies with him a bit. They do have some traits in common; Molly isn't a terribly sociable person either and if she had to entertain a room full of wedding guests for any length of time, I think she'd be profoundly uncomfortable.

I hope Molly will never leave the cast. The scenes with her are always a special treat for me. The actress is amazing and the character is extremely lovable and believable.

• Like 2

I don't see any hints that he finds Molly or Janine physically attractive, though he does class Janine among the "beautiful" during his wedding speech. Irene, yes, I saw plenty of attraction there.

If by that you mean he's not attracted to them, I more or less agree. But the most observant man in the world surely notices how physically attractive they are.

Sherlock (looking up at the stars): Beautiful, isn’t it?

John: I thought you didn’t care about things like that.

Sherlock: Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate it.

• Like 2

I assume you mean genuine romantic feelings? Because it's quite clear on the show by now that he really loves her as a friend, right? (Or isn't it?)

I hope Molly will never leave the cast. The scenes with her are always a special treat for me. The actress is amazing and the character is extremely lovable and believable.

Sorry, yes, I meant romantic feelings, and/or a genuine interest in her as a potential partner. I just never saw that, but I see now why some interpret it that way. I suppose Sherlock could be considering it as a means not to be lonely, which becomes a distinct threat in both TEH and TSo3. Does he love Molly as a friend? Yes, I firmly believe so. If anything proves that to me, it's the little scene in TSo3 where he asks her for advice prior to the stag night. It's not so much the asking for advice, but more that he tries to be nice to her, tries to avoid insulting her. It's such a big contrast to his past treatment of Molly.

I love Molly too, more and more.

• Like 2

Does he love Molly as a friend? Yes, I firmly believe so. If anything proves that to me, it's the little scene in TSo3 where he asks her for advice prior to the stag night. It's not so much the asking for advice, but more that he tries to be nice to her, tries to avoid insulting her. It's such a big contrast to his past treatment of Molly.

Now that's odd -- I didn't see it that way at all.  To me, the main difference between that scene and the cafeteria scene in "The Blind Banker" is that Molly has changed -- she's less gullible and more assertive.

Sherlock, on the other hand, may still be his old manipulative self.  When he realizes that she's taken his initial question as a veiled insult, he backs up and goes into flattery mode, same as he did in TBB.  It's just that this time we don't know whether he's being reasonably sincere or not, because she keeps facing him, whereas in TBB, he dropped the pretense the instant her back was turned.

Oh, I think we can assume he's not being particularly sincere about his interest in her personal life. Even I don't care and I'm not Sherlock. But I do think he was attempting to be polite. Which may be more difficult for him than being sincere..... :D

• Like 2

Yeah, I think that's it; Sherlock doesn't take interest in Molly's life, but he's being polite. Perhaps it's for manipulative reasons, I can't be sure, but I see it as him appreciating her more since she reached out to him in TRF.

He seems to appreciate people who are nice to him; John, Molly, Mary, Hudders, I assume Lestrade .... OMG, he IS human!

• 1 month later...