Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

In Polish you even cannot hide your gender while talking about yourself in the past tense, because the form of verbs you use will reveal your gender.

I was.

byłam (female)

byłem (male)

And you don't even need the pronoun, because the verb's form also includes that.

I think Latin works this way: Veni, vidi, vici - (I) came, (I) saw, (I) won.

Latin verbs change only according to when something happens and whether it's done by me, us, you, s/he or it, or them.  No genders are indicated.

• Like 1

Oh, good to know! Than Polish is even worse than Latin, LOL.

Another thing:

Recently I noticed a strange (or not) effect: synchronicities that hardly occurred in my life before*, now are happening almost daily. Just like the one right now: I'm reading Twitter post about someone winning a dart championship and at the same time the TV is showing someone playing dart in an old Sherlock Holmes movie.

Of course it can be caused by the sheer load of information we are facing, but still it feels funny. Anyone noticed something similar?

*Once I was reading a book and as I read the word Ararat, it was said in the radio that run in the background, EXACLY simultaneous and it almost gave me a heart attack. The second I remember was driving behind a truck of a company I haven't known before and listening to a radio ad of the said company.

• Like 2

I experience that sometimes, it is very weird. Just the other day I had the same thing happen where I was reading something and the exact same words were spoken on TV at the exact time I was reading it. Gave me a start, too.

• Like 1

As I may be VERY tired later:

:D :WELCOME 2018! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU, WHEREVER YOU ARE :lol: :lol:!

post-2931-0-25148200-1514742513_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I saw these on Tumblr somewhere.

If you start watching A Scandal in Belgravia at 10:58:15, Sherlock will say “Happy New Year, John” and begin angstly playing on his violin at exactly midnight. Start off your New Year right.

If you start watching The Great Game at 11:04:16, Sherlock will say “Meretricious” and Lestrade will reply with “And a happy new year” at exactly midnight. Start off your New Year right.

• Like 5

Five and a half hours to go here -- eight and a half for the West Coast.

I experience that sometimes, it is very weird. Just the other day I had the same thing happen where I was reading something and the exact same words were spoken on TV at the exact time I was reading it. Gave me a start, too.

The possibility that those things happen is very, very tiny if you think of it, even if you are swimming in an ocean of information. Like winning a lottery. Weird.

The probability of any specific random incident being "echoed" is indeed minuscule.  But consider how many, many such incidents you experience every day, and it becomes plausible that you're bound to experience an echo once in a while.

• Like 2

Down to 5:35 for Central Time in the US.

• Like 1

6 hours for Alaska, 7 for Hawaii.  3 more for me.

• Like 1

Sherlockians, Happy New Year! May 2018 be a fruitful year for all of us. ^^v

• Like 4

Last night was the first time I saw fireworks for New Years. 18 years ago when everyone was celebrating y2k, I was sick in bed so missed seeing what the rest of the world was doing to usher in the last year of the 20th century (including a fair amount of fireworks as I could hear my parents' tv).

Humph. Well, I must say, this year looks much like the last one. Oh well. Happy New Year, everyone!

• Like 1

Ooooh, is it what the Germans call iced coffee ("Eiskaffee")? If so, it's delicious! You take ice cream, good flavors are vanilla, chocolate or coffee, and pour coffee over it. Top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.

Many places put milk or cream in the coffee but I think that's silly because some of the ice cream will melt into it anyway.

Man, now I want one. Oh dear, but I can't have dairy any more, at least for the time being. Maybe I could find some plant based ice cream and make it at home.

• Like 1

No, it was called something weird, might have had chai or something in it too? I should have saved it. 

Ah reverse searching tells me it's masala chai. That particular image is masala chai ice cream with coffee as far as I can tell from skimming. It's vegan so might be useful for you to use/adapt. 

http://thefirstmess.com/2016/04/27/vegan-dirty-masala-chai-affogato-recipe/

I've only had one experience of chai, which was a chai latte at Starbucks, which was vile. Of course the real thing is probably quite different.