Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

1 hour ago, Sheerluck said:

All this talk of Marmite is fine, but I'm sure we can all agree that the best sauce on, or in, anything is BROWN SAUCE!

Just what is that stuff, anyhow?  I've seen the bottle on British restaurant tables, but was never tempted to try it.  Sounds like a beef-gravy wannabe and/or generic worcestershire.

12 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Just what is that stuff, anyhow?  I've seen the bottle on British restaurant tables, but was never tempted to try it.  Sounds like a beef-gravy wannabe and/or generic worcestershire.

It's certainly neither of these. There are slightly varying types of brown sauce, but the most famous is HP sauce. Unfortunately it's now made in the Netherlands of all places.

Pick up a bottle if you can and add it to things like bacon (rashers) and in your beans.

Haven't actually watched this cuz NSFW based on photos.  But that doesn't mean you all can't enjoy it right now!  I'll be back later.

You're welcome, Strange fans.

• Like 1

In which 'bondboy68' shares his fondness for brown sauce with us all.  "It's behind your Newccy Brown!'

53 minutes ago, Sheerluck said:

There are slightly varying types of brown sauce, but the most famous is HP sauce.

We have HP sauce over here, but I've never been tempted to try it either.  Guess I prefer my beans to taste like beans!

Ah, Wikipedia to the rescue:

The ingredients include a varying combination of tomatoes, molasses, dates, apples, tamarind, spices, vinegar, and sometimes raisins or anchovies. The taste is either tart or sweet with a peppery taste similar to that of Worcestershire sauce.  It is similar to brown sauce marketed as steak sauce in the United States.

Oh -- steak sauce.  Why didn't you say so?  Yeah, I've tasted that.  The flavor is nice enough, but I don't want all my food to taste alike. (That's my main complaint about Indian restaurants -- well, that plus the fiery spices.)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, J.P. said:

Can we come back to discussing shoes? lurk.gif

Sure! :P Can someone explain why the sandals that fit me perfectly last year are giving me blisters now? 

11 hours ago, J.P. said:

Can we come back to discussing shoes? lurk.gif

7gsN3iM.gif

11 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Ah, Wikipedia to the rescue:

The ingredients include a varying combination of tomatoes, molasses, dates, apples, tamarind, spices, vinegar, and sometimes raisins or anchovies. The taste is either tart or sweet with a peppery taste similar to that of Worcestershire sauce.  It is similar to brown sauce marketed as steak sauce in the United States.

Mmm, sounds yummy. Now we know.

Can one of you British-type folks explain this to me? https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/uk-lawmakers-vote-to-strike-brexit-date-from-bill/ar-AAwXZTy?OCID=ansmsnnews11  I don't understand why the date is such a big deal.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Can one of you British-type folks explain this to me? https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/uk-lawmakers-vote-to-strike-brexit-date-from-bill/ar-AAwXZTy?OCID=ansmsnnews11  I don't understand why the date is such a big deal.

In the Uk we’re being bored to death by this. As you know we voted to leave he EU. A date was set and in the meantime loads of negotiations have gone on to finalise the terms (basically trying to ensure that we don’t lose out trade-wise.) It drags on and on. Some even believe that the remain/leave campaign was so full of untruths that we should vote again. So basically Arcadia I think that this is purely an effort to put back the final severing until we have what we want (whatever that is?)

its a politicians job to bore us into a coma so that we end up voting just to get them to stop talking about a subject that very few are interested in.

~Herlock Sholmes~ UK I Hate Politicians Party👍 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HerlockSholmes said:

~Herlock Sholmes~ UK I Hate Politicians Party👍 

That sounds like a good party, I'll vote for that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheerluck said:

In all honesty, if the shoe is grilled properly, brown sauce would probably be a good choice. It would cover up the taste of the insole.

I’ve had some sandwiches in my time Sheerluck which would have been improved by a bit of shoe leather.😃

• Haha 2

Just now, Pseudonym said:

That sounds like a good party, I'll vote for that. 

Cheers Pseudonym,

i just need to get a stupid Donald Trump/ Boris Johnson type hairstyle. Might take a while as my head is shaved🙂

Just glue this caterpillar on your head, no one will know the difference. 

trumphairindexphoto-copy.jpg?quality=90&

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It would look more natural than The Donald's do.

So if I'm understanding correctly, this is just a delaying tactic by those who don't want to leave the EU? I thought the EU said there's no going back now.

Perhaps you'd prefer the American system; we just start a civil war and shoot each other until the side with the most resources wins.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Perhaps you'd prefer the American system; we just start a civil war and shoot each other until the side with the most resources wins.

We've had plenty of civil wars so not sure that's the 'American System.' :P Of course, according to Trump we're all stabbing each other in the streets anyway.

Just reading back through the previous posts; I'll preface by saying I didn't watch that fanfic Dr Strange clip, so can't comment on that one specifically, but I wish interviewers would stop trying to get a reaction out of actors by showing them fanart or making them read fanfic. First off, the chances are that someone who is interested enough to be watching repeated interviews on one film or with one actor may well be the people who enjoy creating fanfic/fanart - if you scoff at it you're alienating a franchises staunchest supporters. Second of all, it's never all that funny, the actors, usually being savvy enough to know it'll insult some of their fans, never react in the horrified/aghast manner the interviewer is hoping for. Thirdly, the thing that really bugs me, is when an interviewer makes a snide remark about how the people writing/drawing that stuff clearly have no social life and are locked away in a basement somewhere hunched over a keyboard - I remember Graham Norton making a comment on New Years Eve a couple of years ago about how no fanfic writer would be out partying (the inference being they were too pathetic to have friends). I've noticed actors tend not to join in on these jibes, they just smile politely, they clearly get it doesn't come across great to the fans so I don't know why interviewers don't get it too. :wacko:

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It would look more natural than The Donald's do.

So if I'm understanding correctly, this is just a delaying tactic by those who don't want to leave the EU? I thought the EU said there's no going back now.

Probably not a delaying tactic but it has that effect. There is no going back. I think that ‘negotiators’, just want a longer holiday away from the office.

• Thanks 1

Was Trumps recent ‘knife’ comments one of the stupidest things ever or am I imagining it? Surely he realises that you cant ban knives as they tend to be quite useful. Guns are a slightly different proposition. The fact that anyone can walk into a store and buy a gun that Rambo would be proud to own is surely a little worrying. I’m sure that he thinks guns are vital for family’s to protect themselves against marauding tribes of cherokees😃

Although being scalped wouldn’t be the worst thing in his case😃

• Like 2

I can't watch him, because he makes me so angry. I just wonder who exactly is whispering these things in his ears - a major London hospital is swimming in blood from all the horrific stabbings. There is, literally, 'blood all over the floors.' What an idiot. 

Imagine the poor person who finds the scalp. They'd never be able to figure out what it was. 

• Like 2