Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

17 hours ago, Hikari said:

I'd like to say I wasn't profoundly disturbed, but that wouldn't be true.

Sorry for disturbing you with a Fantom of the Oper (or Fantomas for those who know) version of BC. He needs a bit colour, that's true, but first he needs a body. I might call Molly.

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

I've had "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" ("Master and Commander" soundtrack version) on repeat for about 4 days now.  Why, I do not know, but I can't seem to get enough of it.

Also, I had a green tea with ginseng a little while ago, so I'm slightly hyper.

Well hello again!

I have that soundtrack too, I play it in the car a lot. When that track comes on, I usually play it back again at least once. That's one of the most beautiful pieces of music I can think of. Always leaves me feeling a little sad, though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I have that soundtrack too, I play it in the car a lot. When that track comes on, I usually play it back again at least once. That's one of the most beautiful pieces of music I can think of. Always leaves me feeling a little sad, though.

It does have a sadness to it, but I think that's what I like about it.  I connect with that kind of music.

I like the rest of the soundtrack too, some of which is decidedly more cheerful.  The Cello Suites are some of my favorite songs ever, and I especially love this excerpt of String Quintet in C Major, Op. 30, No. 6.:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like "sad" music orchestrally. I'm  not overly fond of it lyrically, though. Why, I don't know.

Just found out this sad news--

Actress Margot Kidder passed away at her home in Montana yesterday.  She was 69.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/margot-kidder-superman-actress-dead-at-69-w520293

• Sad 2

I'm just glad that she was able to make a comeback, both personally and professionally, and live her remaining years in peace.

I once spent a week in Livingston -- nice quiet little town (and right across the pass from little college-town Bozeman for a bit of variety).

17 hours ago, Artemis said:

It does have a sadness to it, but I think that's what I like about it.  I connect with that kind of music.

I like the rest of the soundtrack too, some of which is decidedly more cheerful.  The Cello Suites are some of my favorite songs ever, and I especially love this excerpt of String Quintet in C Major, Op. 30, No. 6.:

I love the partnership between Captain 'Lucky Jack' Aubrey & his very good friend, Dr. Stephen Maturin, ship's surgeon.  I am working on a monograph to delineate the ways in which these gents are an homage to our Baker Street duo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm just glad that she was able to make a comeback, both personally and professionally, and live her remaining years in peace.

I once spent a week in Livingston -- nice quiet little town (and right across the pass from little college-town Bozeman for a bit of variety).

She is survived by a daughter, but apparently the funeral home was the one that broke the news.  This makes it seem like she had a fairly isolated existence and was alone when she died.  I hope it was peaceful. 

Her chemistry with Chris Reeve was off the charts.  Superman I and II remain my personal favorite superhero movies.

45 minutes ago, Hikari said:

She is survived by a daughter, but apparently the funeral home was the one that broke the news.  This makes it seem like she had a fairly isolated existence and was alone when she died.  I hope it was peaceful. 

Her chemistry with Chris Reeve was off the charts.  Superman I and II remain my personal favorite superhero movies.

Probably mine as well.

Perhaps the daughter asked the funeral home to handle the announcement?  They would have more experience with that sort of thing than the average person would.  Though if her death was unexpected, the daughter may well have been elsewhere at the time.

23 minutes ago, Sheerluck said:

Sad news. She's still the best Lois Lane, just as Reeves was the greatest Superman/Clark Kent.

Just checking -- sounds like you probably mean Christopher Reeve, rather than George Reeves (the other iconic Superman, from 50's American television).  It's confusing!

I found this story this morning.  I think it's a reminder from above to be thankful for my blessings.  I am less than thrilled with my living arrangements, but compared to where this lady was living, it's Windsor Castle--has hot running water and electricity, for example.

I am reminded of Dame Maggie Smith's The Lady in the Van, only on land.  Saddest of all, this scrappy lady (with possible mental health issues, perhaps) was struck and killed by a car while walking in her neighborhood. 

https://nypost.com/2018/05/09/how-a-late-actress-paid-only-28-in-rent-for-an-nyc-apartment/

This is another, even more horrifying account from CNN. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/us/new-york-apartment-rent-control-actress-trnd/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+(RSS%3A+CNN+-+Most+Recent)

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Probably mine as well.

Perhaps the daughter asked the funeral home to handle the announcement?  They would have more experience with that sort of thing than the average person would. 

Based on my experience, that's part of the service, yes.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Probably mine as well.

Perhaps the daughter asked the funeral home to handle the announcement?  They would have more experience with that sort of thing than the average person would.  Though if her death was unexpected, the daughter may well have been elsewhere at the time.

Just checking -- sounds like you probably mean Christopher Reeve, rather than George Reeves (the other iconic Superman, from 50's American television).  It's confusing!

You are quite correct. Christopher Reeve. :~

I hear yanny.  I even sat last night and tried to look at the word Laurel and make myself hear it, and I couldn't do it.  Most people around here seem to hear Laurel.

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Laurel.  Completely.  Not getting Yanny (Yanni?) at all. 

Aaaargh! I've seen that stupid thing everywhere and it's annoying the shit out of me because it's just so dumb and asdfghjl. But maybe I'm cranky because I turned 24 last week, I'm easier pissed off than usual

and I have somehow already gained the getting old starter pack. Basically: 595aa60c4705d5d10cbfe41ea0cb7d4d.jpg

Happy Birthday, you young thing, you.

Incidentally, I was just coming here to post this!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/awards/the-most-popular-song-the-year-you-were-born/ss-AAoP2zQ?li=BBnb2gh#image=1

Hope it plays in your country.  If not, the answer for 1994 is Ace of Base's 'The Sign'. 

Don't feel bad--I got 'Wooly Bully'.  And no, I'm not saying the year.  Just know that when your mom was giving birth to you I was at a health club in Niigata, Japan, doing cardio on the stationary bike to 'The Sign'.  Enjoy your 20s while they last because they go incredibly fast.

• Like 1

Well, it was the first time I'd seen it, so here's my response to your Peter Griffin. :P

8854918dc2fb87c14e528743bbd81999.gif

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Well, it was the first time I'd seen it, so here's my response to your Peter Griffin. :P

8854918dc2fb87c14e528743bbd81999.gif

Got a bit of Elvis lip going on there.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

Aaaargh! I've seen that stupid thing everywhere and it's annoying the shit out of me because it's just so dumb and asdfghjl. But maybe I'm cranky because I turned 24 last week, I'm easier pissed off than usual

and I have somehow already gained the getting old starter pack. Basically: 595aa60c4705d5d10cbfe41ea0cb7d4d.jpg

What's bad about being 24? I loved being 24. My 20s were great. Much better than my teens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T.o.b.y said:

What's bad about being 24? I loved being 24. My 20s were great. Much better than my teens. 

When you're in your twenties, you have time to get used to being a certain age, so when you're suddenly a year older, you really notice it.

Don't worry, @Fantasy Lover, it gets easier over time.  Every year that passes is a smaller and smaller fraction of your lifetime, and eventually you'll hardly notice your birthdays.