Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

That is a short time - is your steamer super powerful?!

Worse thing I've had it happen with is Baileys. When I was eighteen the only alcohol I liked was Baileys, so that's all I drank in Freshers (my first week of uni) - I, uh, this is gross, but I drank loads of it, vommed it up in my sleep, and woke up with it everywhere. Couldn't go near it for years afterwards... I like it again now though!

EWWWWWW, I'm looking up 'hiking' and 'trekking' blogs to follow on Twitter and somehow Trump came up as a suggestion. 😱🤢🤮

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

Thanks for the tips!  I only steamed for 5 minutes.  :bemused:  I guess next time I'll try 3.  Or maybe 2.  They were super mushy.

What happened to you with Brussel sprouts happened to me with a few things too, like ramen noodles.  I ate so much of it, I can't stomach the stuff anymore.  Even the smell turns my stomach.  Heck, even the mention of it is making me a bit nauseous, lol.

5 minutes? What are you steaming them in. The cooling tower of a nuclear reactor?

You can't have a Sunday roast without sprouts. It's not possible. Anyway, I like to roast them in the oven at 200 for about 30 minutes until they smell sort of nutty. Then into a pan with some water and a knob of butter. Cook fast until all the water boils away and the butter glazes the sprouts. Yumm.

• Thanks 2

The coat, the scarf... I know blonde is sacrilegious but... a blonde femlock?

b4b1d38590153cb9957c27ce99caea39.jpg

Update: thank you for all the support and help, we talked about about it and we agreed to make time for each other. 😀

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

EWWWWWW, I'm looking up 'hiking' and 'trekking' blogs to follow on Twitter and somehow Trump came up as a suggestion. 😱🤢🤮

I tried to multiquote Pseud's above post but ended up clicking on Sheerluck's profile 4 times (even when I tried to adjust my banana finger to click higher). 

So don't be alarmed Sheerluck, I am not stalking you, I'm harmless and very well behaved. :) Believe I had not said my welcome, Welcome!

Anyway, please don't tell me that I'd find Trump when I go trekking. Seriously!

Also I tried to quote your previous post, Pseud. Your mom is so nice for putting up both you and your dad! :D

I'm light sleeper myself and know how monstrous I feel when there is constant disturbance to my sleep.

Great to hear it works out FL.

Wow you guys have lots of Sherlock related dreams. :D

You’ll be out in the wilderness and see something orange and yellow streak across the landscape in the distance. You pause, listening, but it’s gone. Warily you continue on...

• Haha 1

Dreamt I was John again last night, and just to spice things up there was also an alien invasion going down. 🚀

• Haha 2

Were you the conductor to his light or just creating trouble by hiding in the bonfire?

Most importantly, what is your hairstyle? Hm? Hmmm?? And did you or did you not punch him in the face? TELL ME!

I miss Sherlock, maybe I should really try S4 rewatch one of these days.

• Haha 1

Sherlock was looking after Rosie and had to hike 50-odd miles with her in a carry thing on his back - I blame that visual on the Cargo poster. 

At the moment my hair is in a bun, so I guess I was... shock, horror... man-bun John. Luckily I don't think MF has ever had a man-bun. Phew. 

No punching. We were too busy fighting all aliens and making plans to survive. :D

• Confused 1

Well, sounds like cheesy alien invasion movie. Can't help but imagining USS Calister color scheme. John's man bun, good god! Not many guys could pull that off! I have to give this one 5/10.

Throw in dinosaurs I'd raise it to 6/10. Mycroft speaking alien gibberish to 7/10. Sherlock in sheet 9/10. Rosie accidentally pulls off that sheet 10/10.

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2018 at 12:26 PM, J.P. said:

They pass so fast - after 50 you have the feeling of having birthdays weekly. :D

Hey, JP.  I was on Red Bubble yesterday updating my (non-Sherlock) store, and I have to tell you that I love so many of your designs!  They are awesome!

Meanwhile, I'm still thinking about Brussels sprouts. Roast them. Takes longer, but easy and oh so yummy.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2018 at 11:15 AM, Sheerluck said:

I like to roast them in the oven at 200 for about 30 minutes until they smell sort of nutty. Then into a pan with some water and a knob of butter. Cook fast until all the water boils away and the butter glazes the sprouts. Yumm

On 6/21/2018 at 10:29 PM, Arcadia said:

Meanwhile, I'm still thinking about Brussels sprouts. Roast them. Takes longer, but easy and oh so yummy.

Do you roast them the same way Sheerluck does?  (I'm assuming that the 200 is Fahrenheit? :D )  I'd like to try it sometime, but I've never even seen it done.

This is the recipe I use, although I usually leave off the vinegar and honey, and sometimes sprinkle the sprouts with a little garlic salt or tarragon before roasting. Also sometimes I add a little mustard to the oil; can't find that recipe anymore, so I just have to guess.

https://www.aheadofthyme.com/2016/10/easy-roasted-brussels-sprouts/

I also like to roast peppers with them. Put them in about halfway through. Carrots too, though they're not my favorite.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! When you roast peppers, is that bell peppers?  And I assume you cut up them and the carrots -- about how big?  Do you ever roast potatoes?

We roast potatoes a lot, Carol. Two options: either use small ones, wrap them up in aluminum foil and be very patient or cut them into slices, place them on a greased baking sheet and wait a reasonable time for your meal. 

We frequently bake whole potatoes, though we don't use foil, we just rub a little oil on them and pierce the skin with a fork in a few places.  It's roasting them in pieces that I'm not sure about.  (Think I did it once, but forgot to save the directions.). So you don't use oil on the pieces of potato, just on the pan?

Perfect roast potatoes. Peel potatoes and cut into largish chunks. Boil in salted water until yielding. Add enough duck or goose fat into a roasting tin and place in hot oven, 200-210C, until smoking. Drain potatoes and pour into hot pan. Roast for about 30 minutes until potatoes are golden, turning a couple of times to ensure even cooking. Season to taste.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thanks! When you roast peppers, is that bell peppers?  And I assume you cut up them and the carrots -- about how big?  Do you ever roast potatoes?

Yes, bell peppers (I like the red, orange and yellow ones, they're sweeter) and in strips about  1" wide. Although I'm willing to bet other mild peppers would be good too. Around here they sell something called a cubanelle pepper (looks a bit like a poblano, but not as hot) that's just as good as a bell.

Carrots … I'm a big fan of baby carrots, so the couple of times I've done it, I just split them in half lengthwise, or not at all if they're already skinny. Regular carrots, I think I'd be tempted to quarter lengthwise.

There's so many ways I like potatoes better than roasted, so I've never roasted them myself. But instinct tells me you'd still want a little oil on them, or they'd dry out too much, no?

Mmm, crispy roasties (potatoes). Being different to a baked potato, though both are good.