Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

I liked Friends and watched it for a time when I was in high school.  Seinfeld I never got into though.  And everyone talks about Seinfeld as if it's the greatest show ever... and I just don't get it.

I will say my preference in comedies tend to be really ridiculous shows, like Parks and Recreation or Arrested Development.  I still don't get into them the way I do more dramatic shows, but if I'm watching a comedy that's the way I trend.

Home Improvement was good.  I liked TGIF on ABC.  Those shows were good.

My favorite comedy may have been WKRP in Cincinnati. Their spoof on the Hindenburg disaster was brilliant.

• Like 1

Turkey on the head, first time I saw it in Mr.Bean, then yes Friends. I remember seeing it somewhere else I almost thought it's a common joke. XD

I am quite indifferent with Friends, but many people who I know love it. It does hold some memory, of a period of time when a bunch of us had to stay late everyday, Friend's first season was aired on odd time, sometimes after midnite (maybe for testing out) and we looked forward to that in middle of zombying (zombifying?) ourselves.

Seinfeld, I like it, seems like nobody else does? I had a 160 degree (not 180) turn, used to dislike it until a couple years ago. I guess I become appreciative to satire and tired of predictability and 'too-much-emotion' on regular sitcoms. I like watching them ridiculousing (is it a word?) social norms.

That is the nature of the show, I believe they mention the concept is no hugging, no learning. The characters are not meant to be likeable because they represent the more sinister sides. Similar ones created by Seinfeld creator Curb Your Enthusiasm, although it's often too whiny and annoying for me, I still enjoy the satire and matter of facts. Beside daily life, of course they make fun of PC too.

The other sitcom I enjoy is probably The Office (earlier seasons), for sure I am not into feel-good-all-nice predictable regular sitcom, maybe I prefer dry and dark humor.

Turkey on the head, first time I saw it in Mr.Bean, then yes Friends. I remember seeing it somewhere else I almost thought it's a common joke. XD

I am quite indifferent with Friends, but many people who I know love it. It does hold some memory, of a period of time when a bunch of us had to stay late everyday, Friend's first season was aired on odd time, sometimes after midnite (maybe for testing out) and we looked forward to that in middle of zombying (zombifying?) ourselves.

Seinfeld, I like it, seems like nobody else does? I had a 160 degree (not 180) turn, used to dislike it until a couple years ago. I guess I become appreciative to satire and tired of predictability and 'too-much-emotion' on regular sitcoms. I like watching them ridiculousing (is it a word?) social norms.

Close! Ridiculing is the word you're going for, but either way it makes perfect sense. :smile: My mom used to like Seinfeld, so I'd watch it with her. I admit there were bits and pieces I found funny.

Maybe I'm just jaded, I don't even bother to look at most comedies any more. I tried to watch the one with Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar, because I love both those actors, and even that left me cold. I guess I'm a prude but modern comedies are just too smutty and/or mean for my taste.

I think what I really like is dramas with humor. Like Sherlock, of course, but many of my other favorite shows share the same characteristic: Star Trek, Buffy, and Full Metal Alchemist come to mind. I've recently discovered NCIS; it's a bit routine at times but the humor makes it work. (I think I just described my life! :blink: )

• Like 2

The other sitcom I enjoy is probably The Office (earlier seasons)....

Since you say "earlier seasons" (plural), I assume you're talking about one of the copycat versions (perhaps the American one)?  I liked it for a while, but after about half a season all the episodes started to seem alike and I stopped watching.  Later on, I saw the original British series (with Martin Freeman as Tim) and enjoyed it hugely.

• Like 1

Close! Ridiculing is the word you're going for, but either way it makes perfect sense. :smile:

Thank you. I know the one I used sounds too wordy.

I think what I really like is dramas with humor. Like Sherlock,..

Yes! I never thought drama would be my genre, but since Sherlock is in it. Yes!

And yes to Sherlock makes me laugh more than comedy.

Since you say "earlier seasons" (plural), I assume you're talking about one of the copycat versions (perhaps the American one)? I liked it for a while, but after about half a season all the episodes started to seem alike and I stopped watching. Later on, I saw the original British series (with Martin Freeman as Tim) and enjoyed it hugely.

Yes, the copycat one XD.. although I didn't know it was a copycat bcs I know American version first, didn't know there was a British version back then. Now it's ready for me to watch if only I could find more time.

Off to catch Victor Franskenstein in a while, hope it doesn't dissapoint.

The trailer for it looks fantastic, I'm going as soon as I can find someone to go with me. I used to enjoy going to movies by myself, but for some reason I don't anymore. Saves me money, at least.... :smile:

The other way around here. Staying apart from my movie buddies, I have been watching movies alone and it has been fun.

I tried watching with some people here but they had been annoying; comments, talking and different movie preferences, of course.

It's also my bolt hole when I am too tired.

Anyway, I like Victor Frankenstein, not sure why the reception is not good.

Maybe

people expect more 'monster?'

For me, eventhough the style is bit over the top, I like that they choose that story. It's story about the creator, not the monster. The style is weird but entertaining.

Also like James McAvoy in his role. There are various scenes that really remind me of Sherlock. I might be thinking of Sherlock too much.

He is a genius without good social skill.

He does crazy experiments.

He has delicate feelings behind his exterior.

He has his Watson and screws up his love life, for a bit.

His place, really like a more elaborate Baker Street.

He never stop moving.

• Like 1

help.gif

Can anybody help me? I'm looking for a post, in which someone so beautifully described Sherlock as a hero for nerds and that he is not how the world sees us but how we see ourselves. Cannot find it via search function. Does anybody remember where it was written?

Nobody? puppyeyes.gif

I recently noticed that I miss Sherlock. Somehow the show got lost in the last time, while we were busy with Hamlet, Dr. Strange and the Special, and the things the other cast and crew members were working at. I think it's time to go back to the real stuff again. Haven't re-watch any of it (even in parts).

I cannot recall any of our extended almost-family mentioning being on vacation during this year. Can you? There might be some cute pictures with koalas, but Australia was still work.

Sorry, I looked but could not observe. :(  I need to steal Carol's magic wand.....

I actually did a rewatch about 2 months ago, it was lovely. I'm glad I leave long gaps between viewings, actually; the show still feels fresh to me when I do watch it. I always have to watch all the way through, I can't jump around from bit to bit ... it just doesn't feel right, somehow. So I seldom get the time needed to watch the whole thing in anything like a short amount of time. All to the good, imo.

BC took a vacation after he got married, didn't he? And I think Moffat mentioned being on vacay too. I imagine it's not something any of them care to advertise.

Can anybody help me? I'm looking for a post, in which someone so beautifully described Sherlock as a hero for nerds and that he is not how the world sees us but how we see ourselves. Cannot find it via search function. Does anybody remember where it was written?

Sorry, I looked but could not observe. :(  I need to steal Carol's magic wand.....

I tried too, but my wand must be broken.  Sorry!  Sounds like a great quote, so I hope somebody finds it.  Failing that, maybe you could write it yourself?

Glad you found it, I almost cried reading it again, I relate to it so well. Of course it was Toby, we should have known! :smile:

Found it.

Well, a correct spelling is usually helpful for searching.   :blush:  But at least I haven't dreamt it. Sigh.

I am so sorry, JP, I misunderstood your first post and thought you were talking about something you had read elsewhere online, like an article or blog post or something.

I have nothing to add. It pretty much sums up how I feel about the show and why I love it. :)

I rewatch slowly and with the episodes quite far apart. Right now I'm back in series 1 and waiting for a good opportunity to see The Great Game. That's not an episode I can just turn on while I sew or something, I have to be able to really observe it. It's my favorite, after all.

Been terribly, terribly tired and low energy these past few months, though, so the time somehow never seems right. *Sigh*... I've watched so much trash lately.

I'm the same way, I feel like I need to have my full attention on the program or I'll spoil it somehow.

Toby, are you checking your vitamin levels and all that kind of stuff? I'm sorry you've been feeling that way, I know what it's like. For me it's usually stress related though, I just have to stop trying to do so much when I get like that. Reading a good book always helps. :smile:

• Like 1

Toby, are you checking your vitamin levels and all that kind of stuff? I'm sorry you've been feeling that way, I know what it's like. For me it's usually stress related though, I just have to stop trying to do so much when I get like that. Reading a good book always helps. :smile:

Also, are you getting enough sleep?  I know it can be tough, but as you already know, it's super important.  (Do as I say, not as I do!)

• Like 1

help.gif

Found it.

Well, a correct spelling is usually helpful for searching.   :blush:  But at least I haven't dreamt it. Sigh.

Great that you found it. The description sounded interesting. Now I have read it and I think it is a really good post.

Baby's First Baby

:wtf:

Whuaatt... what kind of toy is it?!? Toys are complete with stretch mark, etc etc... and there is twin edition with pregnant twin babies..! :blanket:

And this..

Avenging Unicorn

Everyone wants an imaginary unicorn friend that they can call forth to smite their enemies.

Well, not ME!