Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Lifting The Ban on Series Four Spoilers.

As it has now been a decent amount of time since the airing of series 4 of Sherlock we feel it is prudent to relax the ban on discussion of series 4 episodes in the general Sherlock discussion areas.

We would ask that members continue to keep within the bounds of topic titles and subjects, in order to make it easier for people to choose which discussions they wish to view.

Photo

New Russian Sherlock Holmes TV series

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Pawse

Pawse

Detective Superintendent

• 410 posts
  • LocationInside Sherlock's Mind Palace
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

The only Russian version I've heard of is one starring some dude called Vasily ... something.

Never mind - I found him Vasily Livanov. His screen partner was Vitaly Solomin, who died a few years ago. I have the boxset on order.
Upon which I now have it and am almost at the end of it. It's amazing!
  • Carol the Dabbler likes this
Jeremy Brett/David Burke/Edward Hardwicke, Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce, Ronald Howard/H Marion Crawford, Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law,
Douglas Wilmer/Peter Cushing/Nigel Stock, Vasily Livanov/Vitaly Solomin, Benedict Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman

#22 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 15,924 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:44 PM

How would you compare / contrast it with the newer Russian show (assuming that you've seen any of the episodes linked to in this thread)?

-- Carol

#23 Boton

Boton

Consulting Detective

• 1,518 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:51 PM

I watched "Baker Street 221B" last night, and I must say I'm rather charmed -- this is the most delightfully bizarre thing I've seen in a while.  John Watson looks exactly like what you think John Watson would -- if he were Russian.  Which is awesome.  

And 221B Baker.  I love it that it's a rooming house more than a series of flats -- Holmes tips John Watson* off that there's a room available, and the two are basically neighbors rather than flatmates.  And there are about 17 other people living there.  

*I keep referring to this Watson as "John Watson" in my head, because it seemed that they used his full name an inordinate amount.  So, OK, for me: Sherlock Watson is John, canon Watson is Watson, Elementary Watson is Joan, and Russian Watson is John Watson.  Now I need to figure out how to differentiate RDJ Watson. 

Read Boton's fanfiction at AO3: http://archiveofouro...on/pseuds/Boton

Boton's Sherlock thoughts: http://221Boton.tumblr.com

#24 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 15,924 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

Somebody could be "Doctor Watson."

I notice you didn't mention Nigel Bruce or either of Brett's Watsons -- but they're all canon, right?

-- Carol

#25 Boton

Boton

Consulting Detective

• 1,518 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

Somebody could be "Doctor Watson."

I notice you didn't mention Nigel Bruce or either of Brett's Watsons -- but they're all canon, right?

I think every version is "Moftiss canon," so I accept that as well.

I just haven't yet made it to Bruce or Brett yet.  I expect to have a surfeit of "Watsons" to keep track of in my own mind.  

ETA:  There is a terrible danger that RDJ Watson is just "Jude Law."

• Carol the Dabbler likes this

#26 Boton

Boton

Consulting Detective

• 1,518 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

OK, succumbed to the temptation to watch another one last night while the hubby was out on a consulting job.  I watched "Baskerville Hound."  Literally, if you watch only one episode of this version of Sherlock Holmes, this is the one to watch.  And here's why (but I'll spoiler tag for anyone who wants to experience the jaw-dropping dumb-squizzledness in real time as they watch):

Spoiler

I got done watching that and muttered, "well, that about covers it, doesn't it?"

I swear, whoever wrote these scripts had an old, English-language copy of Conan Doyle and had seen the entire Sherlock series once, illegally, on a grainy bit torrent site when he decided he needed to write a Sherlock Holmes series.

• SherlockedCAMPer likes this

#27 SherlockedCAMPer

SherlockedCAMPer

Consulting Detective

• 4,755 posts
  • Twitter @4himccm
  • LocationMN, USA: Land of the frozen til summer then we melt ;)
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

I'd agree with a dose of laughter as I read it.
  • Boton likes this

"Killing me is so 2 years ago."  "I'm a high-functioning sociopath! Do your research!" -Sherlock (This explains so much of what goes through my head but never comes out.) "Should I be impressed?" -Wenceslas S1.3  ~Jenn, Jenny, or Jennifer, not Jen (there's a story to this besides being inspired by Louise)

#28 Pawse

Pawse

Detective Superintendent

• 410 posts
  • LocationInside Sherlock's Mind Palace
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:57 PM

How would you compare / contrast it with the newer Russian show (assuming that you've seen any of the episodes linked to in this thread)?

The 221B Baker Street one is the newer one? :o Haven't actually seen it yet, but since I got the Vasily and Vitaly one, I watched that - amazing! Love it!
Jeremy Brett/David Burke/Edward Hardwicke, Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce, Ronald Howard/H Marion Crawford, Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law,
Douglas Wilmer/Peter Cushing/Nigel Stock, Vasily Livanov/Vitaly Solomin, Benedict Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman

#29 Mateos

Mateos

Detective Constable

• 11 posts
  • Twitter @blogosiaka
  • LocationSiedlce, Poland
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

I'm going to be a terrible digger, but I find this series really interesting, especially when it comes to the interpretation of Holmes and Watson. Watson comes back from the war, so his physical strength, energy, agression and simply his masculinity is very natural. Even if he was only a doctor in Afghanistan, he needed to meet tough conditions of the war, so that's exactly how I imagined Watson. It's quite contrasting to with BBC's Watson who is a bit weaker and mixed-up, because of his PTSD. Of course, that's completely understandable - Russian Watson is very Russian, BBC's Watson reflects nowadays soliders after their return to home.

More fascinating in this Russian version is Sherlock who is definetely weaker than Watson. In fact, he is a doormat (I hope that's a good English word to describe his behaviour) and it's Watson who teaches him how to fight and how to be a real man. It's contradictive to the original Doyle's hero, but for me it's really funny and I like it. 

• Carol the Dabbler and J.P. like this

I'm writing my MA about Sherlock and I need your help. Fill this survey, please: https://www.survio.c...R1X6V3N2S2S4N9F

#30 Pav Krum

Pav Krum

Trainee Detective Constable

• 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Does anyone know if this Sherlock book is any good? Seems to be new

https://www.amazon.c...The Last Gambit

#31 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 15,924 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

It was just published (independently) today, so of course there are no reviews yet.  However, Amazon allows us to look inside the book, so I can offer a few observations:

Although the title is Sherlock: The Last Gambit, the book has little similarity to the BBC television program Sherlock other than the use of several Conan Doyle characters -- or in this case, their namesake descendants.  Oddly enough, even though the book is set in the fall of 2001, the language has a Victorian flavor, with the main characters addressing each other as "my dear Holmes" and "my dear Watson."

The author is apparently Russian -- there is no copyright as such, other than an appeal to respect "the heritage of the Russian culture."  As the back cover points out, "the genre of this book is called 'mystical-philosophical political detective story,'" which describes the tone very nicely.

-- Carol