The Look Who I Met Thread

Undead Medic

• 5 months later...

That's about what I figured.  I'm currently a hair under 5'8" (having misplaced half an inch somewhere), and my shoes add about an inch.

5'8"?? you are girl right??.....oh! i hope i born in Europe, i'm 6'3" tall, but still a giant in my country  :D

my fiance head just around my chest, and that is my country girls average high  :( among her friends, she will be consider as tall

(sorry, out of topic....you guys please proceed with the original topic that been discuss :P )

• Like 1

Yup, I'm a girl!  I'm taller than about 90% of the women in the US -- so I'm tall but by no means a giant.  You would also be considered "merely" tall here.  I think 6'2" is 90th percentile for American men, so at 6'3" you would be a little taller (for a man) than I am (for a woman).

Yup, I'm a girl!  I'm taller than about 90% of the women in the US -- so I'm tall but by no means a giant.  You would also be considered "merely" tall here.  I think 6'2" is 90th percentile for American men, so at 6'3" you would be a little taller (for a man) than I am (for a woman).

we must look good together  :wub:

• Like 1

You'd better not let your fiancee hear you say that!   ;)   (Besides, I'm probably about your mother's age.)  But since we're on opposite sides of the world, it's safe enough to speculate -- so OK, I bet we would!

• 2 years later...
On 4/14/2015 at 3:53 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I accidentally came into this thread and saw this post.  You’re kind of freaking me out with this.  5’8” is 90% taller than most women here in the US?  I’m 5’11”, have never cared for being tall and always feel like I’m towering over other women (and many men) but 90% seems so high!

Let's try searching for - women height percentile - and see what comes up.  OK, here's a site that calculates it for you (type in your data, then scroll down).  They say I'm "kinda tall," which is precisely how I describe myself.  They say I'm 93rd percentile, which is higher than I'd seen elsewhere, but here's another site that gives me the same result.  This site has charts broken down by age and ethnicity, and according to them I'm around 95th percentile for my age group.

I know 90-something percent sounds like a lot, but it isn't really -- when I'm with a group of women, chances are that at least a few of them will be somewhere around my height -- maybe only 80th percentile or so, but close enough that I don't feel like I stand out.  You say you do feel that you stand out, and the figures support that -- you're apparently around 99th percentile -- but they're only telling you what you already knew.  But hey, you can see over everyone else at parades!  (Why do people always say that? :P )

23 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You say you do feel that you stand out, and the figures support that -- you're apparently around 99th percentile -- but they're only telling you what you already knew.  But hey, you can see over everyone else at parades!  (Why do people always say that? :P )

It just seems like the generations are getting shorter and shorter.  At one point, I heard that the US average male height is 5’11” or something but that seems kind of high in my experience these days.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s actually closer to 5’9”.  Either way I’m sure there are aspects of my height I take for granted (maybe not necessarily seeing better at parades!) but I’ve always wished I were shorter.  5’8” was my wish so I envy you but at least I have the silver lining of not being 6’ or taller!  My best friend from college was 4’10” and she had a lot more challenges, like finding a car she could drive, so I am probably better off than the other extreme.  

Yeah, I suppose any height has its pros and its cons.  I'd kinda like to be around five-four or five-five so I could easily buy clothes that fit.  I'm too tall for most regular sizes, but too short for some companies' tall sizes -- in addition to being thin enough that tall-medium (the smallest tall size that's generally available) is baggy on me.  I finally found some nice shirts from Lands End in tall-small, so I'm stocking up.  :D

I totally know what you mean!  I’m constantly having to hem pants, either taking regular out or shortening the tall sizes.  It’s like the tall sizes are meant for women 6’ or taller and the regular sizes are meant for a maximum of 5’9” but that I’m sure that depends on the brand and what size heel you wear.  Also good luck finding tall sizes in stores, you usually have to order online and the selection is usually limited which is annoying. 

I don’t have that much trouble with tops because styles are longer than they used to be.  Ironically, pajamas and coats are worse for me.