Stories Behind Your User Names & Avatar Pictures.

It'd be fun to hear the stories behind the user names on this forum. (I'm curious about a few of the pronunciations, too!) Even if your name is clearly a Sherlock reference, it'd be interesting to hear how you happened to choose it.

Likewise with the avatar pictures -- in some cases, what the heck is it, and in others, how did you come to choose it?

P.S. to the Admins: Since this thread is somewhat analogous to "How Did You Find Us?", I thought this forum would be the best place for it -- but on the other hand, this thread isn't at all analogous to the individual introductions that constitute the bulk of this forum. Am I overlooking a more appropriate locale?

Perhaps it would make sense to keep just "Hello Everybody And Welcome!" and the individual introductions in this forum -- and then put this thread and "How Did You Find Us?" into a new forum, where people could add other similar threads. (Failing that, or for the time being, maybe you could just pin this thread.) Thanks!

My user name has been "Carol the Dabbler" ever since I joined my first internet forum. I chose it because my first name (as you might guess) is Carol, and I'm interested in a variety of things (so I dabble in a little of this and a little of that). I've been trying for years to come up with one avatar that I could use for all my forums, and it occurred to me just last night that ducks who feed near the water's surface (rather than diving for their food) are called "dabblers," just like me! (Besides, I like ducks -- they're very sweet people.)

The avatar that I used for a few weeks before this was an old television test pattern, which was appropriate for this forum and one other, but not for forums on non-media-related topics.

• Like 1

I've been a Banshee for a long time, different varieties in different places at time, but always a Banshee. I love banshees, especially the fact that although they announced death, they were respected, and the fact that one's family was supposed to have a banshee to announce deaths was almost something to be proud of, because it meant one could trust their ancestry to the kings of old...

The avatar is mostly there for Sherlock's hands. Yes, I have a thing for hands. I wanted a good shot of Shelock's and John's hands while they are cuffed, but couldn't find a good screencap of it...

My username comes from the Torchwood fandom, my favourite character Owen Harper was a Medical doctor who came back from the dead. Hence Undead Medic, besides I have quite grown to like it!

As for my current avatar, I think it speaks for itself! :D

• Like 1

Haha love yours Tim!

Mine is because my first name is Alice, as some of you know, and the last name...self-explantatory...? But I suppose you could take it more than one way...choose for yourselves... :violin2:

... I have a thing for hands. I wanted a good shot of Shelock's and John's hands while they are cuffed ....

Doesn't this sort of thing belong over at Irene's place? Tsk!

Sherlock & John do both have very deft-looking hands, though. I'm thinking that John is probably an excellent surgeon (which he would surely have needed to be, during his time as a battlefield physician).

I'm Ally (or Al, Ali or Aly) in RL and Aeron Lanart in fanfic circles (and have been for about 15 years). I couldn't decide which id to use on here as I'm known as both by a lot of people who frequent this locale so I decided to mix them up a bit, hence Aely. The story behind Aeron Lanart as my name can be found on my profile page at LiveJournal if you want to know more.

My Av is the one I use primarily as Aeron Lanart - my default on livejournal, dreamwidth and archive of our own - it just happens to be a pic of the front print of one of my favourite tshirts.

I'm Ally (or Al, Ali or Aly) in RL and Aeron Lanart in fanfic circles ... so I decided to mix them up a bit, hence Aely.

D'you have any idea how to pronounce it (before I get my brain all tangled up trying)?

• Like 1

D'you have any idea how to pronounce it (before I get my brain all tangled up trying)?

My brain insists on pronouncing it "Ay-lee" (Although I'm not sure that's right! :D)

Depends on what side of bed I get up

mostly A as 'say' lee

sometimes e as in 'step' (but longer) lee (which is actually the most accurate for the dipthong but not that easy to say)

sometimes I as in 'eye' lee

*shrugs* I'm awkward like that

• Like 1

If you ask me anything you'll often get a detailed answer - even if you didn't want one! :whistle:

• Like 1

If you ask me anything you'll often get a detailed answer - even if you didn't want one!

I met Misha Collins in a Elavator and texted everyone, most people said "jel" or "cool." Aely sent back a 2 text first growling about me saying elavator insteaid of lift then saying cool :D. she loves her details

but thats not my name or my avi:

My name on here is EvigMidnat is a cross of Danish and Swedish (mainly because i missed a t) it means Forever Midnight, which I just thought was both cool and apt, as Like Banshee and Aely Midnat or Midnight as it is in english has followed me through the boards and sites and journals...for exactly 13 years, unlucky for some, one day i'll get a Tattoo or something.

oh yeah Aely mentioned LJ earlier There was a writersblock question on Livejournal a while ago which asked this :D my answers here ofcourse over there my names Midnightmurdina (Midnight Seawarrior) but it explains Midnight.

I will say quiet simply, you want my attention anywhere your more likley to get it by calling out Midnight or Night rather than my RL which can go suck an Elf

The reason for the crossed languages is because at the time I chose my name on here (and AO3) I was re watching True Blood Season 2... well the good parts anyway

s2 introduces Godric a childlike ancient Vampire and the Father/Brother/Son/Maker of my other fave vampire Eric Northman. Godric is played by Danish actor Allan Hyde and Eric by Swedish actor Alexander Skarsgard, long story short I love the languages they both come from even if i verbally suck at them.

long winded I know but I love a long explanation (scriptwriter you see)

Avi:

up till today my avi was a soft picture of Sherlock in his scarf from s2 for obvious reasons (mainly because it was the best i had to hand when i joined) but i've changed it to one of Penelope Garcia Tech for the BAU in Criminal Minds because... well besides the obvious i've got two of my friends hooked on CM, Garcia is a big girl in a main stream show and shes a Geek, she even managed to get Frak into a conversation with a Unsub.

I grew up reading Sherlock Holmes, The Hardy Boys, and a bit of Nancy Drew so anytime I went on a site my name would be one of two things. Ideduce or Yourid. Ideduce comes from my love of mysteries. Though I also love crime novels which is a little different with some key aspects. The name yourid is me being cleaver whenever asked for a username or Id name.

I figured Ideduce would be a proper fit and no one had the name so I'm quite pleased n_n

• Like 1

EvigMidnat, I am certain that your reply will satisfy even aely!

Ideduce, I'm jealous of your childhood. I grew up on the Bobbsey Twins (who were at least cool in that they had friends who were American Indians), and somehow missed out on detective stories till many years later, when my father got me hooked on Nero Wolfe. I also love your alternative name -- the perfect response to "Please enter your ID"!

:P thank you

I love Nero Wolfe ❤️ when I saw CBS pretty much say they were going to cop BBC Sherlock without their permission I was like that's stupid. I heard the story plot. Why didn't they just have it be Nero Wolfe T_T That would have done better *face palm*

I also suggest reading Reinhaert the bat. She's a very old author *Dead actually sad...* but her writing style is AMAZING

Added 19 Aug 2021 by Carol the Dabbler:  I just found out what Ideduce was referring to.  Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia [link]:

The Bat is a three-act play by Mary Roberts Rinehart and Avery Hopwood that was first produced ... in 1920. The story combines elements of mystery and comedy as Cornelia Van Gorder and guests ...[search for] money they believe is hidden in the house, while they are stalked by a masked criminal known as "the Bat".....

The play originated as an adaptation of Rinehart's 1908 mystery novel The Circular Staircase.

My name is InGenHarborMaster because I love the movie Jurassic Park!

I'm probably the only person who never saw the Jurassic Park sequels at all, so I had to do some googling. Just in case anyone else is a bit rusty on their JP lore, InGen is International Genetics Incorporated, the company that was developing dinosaurs for the theme park, and the Harbor Master was in charge of their docks at San Diego. (In The Lost World, he was played by Jim Harley, a real-life retired Navy Chief Petty Officer.)

Your avatar is clearly a really cool picture of Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes, yet at first glance I took it for Zachary Quinto as Spock. Not sure what that means! EDITED LATER: Did you change your avatar to avoid confusing me? (Spock would never wear a deerstalker!)

Indeed a lot of my friends know me as InGenHarborMaster XD those movies are quite amazing even the books are awesome as well the movies make a good representation of the book without using a lot of the lingo that Michael Crichton does, he did extensive research you can tell by just reading the first page of JP

... the movies make a good representation of the book without using a lot of the lingo that Michael Crichton does ....

Like "mitochondrial DNA"? I haven't read the book, but that was a key element in the original movie, as I recall.

• Like 1