TheImprobableOne

"Geek" sounds about right, but I can't offhand think of any in the show (except perhaps for "Jim from IT").  Who did you have in mind?

Oh, right!  Doubt it would have been any of them, though.  Sherlock is supposed to have had some sort of prior (perhaps indirect) contact with Improbable, but he doesn't seem to know who these guys are.

I haven't read much of the blog, but "the improbable one" sounds like a reference to the famous "rule out the impossible and whatever remains, however improbable, must be true" quote.

So, who is impossible here and who remains?

Okay, this is what I get for having such a boring job my mind can mull over such things as John's Blog.  What if Sauron is actually Sebastian Moran?

I guess what got me started was that Sebastian Moran and Sauron share a lot of the same letters and even sounds alike.

I still think Sauron1976 is Benedict Cumberbatch!  ;)

Hmmm...since he found their case interesting to I thought he took their case. Oh well, no matter.

He may well have taken their case, but that was well after Improbable left his(?) first comment on Sherlock's blog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was trying to figure this out awhile back, the only one that seems to fit so far is Anderson. Altho he's not all that improbable. Also I note the blog hasn't been updated since Season 3 ended, I wonder what we're to make of that?  (Not too much, probably.  :-)

Nope, not too much.  It just sat there between Series 2 and 3 also -- though that made sense in-universe, because John had lost interest in doing the blog after Sherlock "died."

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

To continue from above:  I just noticed that the most recent entry on John's blog at this point is the wedding write-up.  So perhaps the (in-universe) reason for John's silence this time is that he's been too busy being married -- and then too weirded out by later developments.

Well, what *can* he write? "My wife's a murderer"? "Sherlock's a murderer"? Neither topic lends itself to recreational blogging much :smile:.

• Like 2

Which one of those smileys is whom? :)

• Like 1

Well, what *can* he write? "My wife's a murderer"? "Sherlock's a murderer"? Neither topic lends itself to recreational blogging much :smile:.

It would, however, be fun to read the comments to those posts.... TeamMoriarty would certainly feel vindicated!

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought the improbable one was Irene Adler.  Sounds like her to me! 

What throws me is that TheImprobableOne is supposed to be a computer geek, which doesn't seem to describe anyone in the show (as far as we know.) Irene? I don't know, somehow I think her posts would be more ... seductive.

The most improbable person I can think of who isn't dead yet is Donovan....

I might guess Mummy -- except that I believe John refers to Improbable as "he."  (Though that could be a privacy-protective ruse, of course.)

Or Daddy? He might not be as dumb as he makes himself out to be. Then again, neither Mummy nor Daddy would be so rude to their little boy, would they?

They seemed to have let Mycroft get away with tormenting Sherlock as a child. Mycroft said that Sherlock was considered to be "the idiot child" until they started meeting normal people. Did this treatment also come from Mummy and Daddy as well?

Yipe. Is that what Moftiss considers "normal parents"? :D We're doomed.

• 6 months later...

Okay, back to speculating about "theimprobableone" ... because our lives are empty and fruitless and we have nothing better to do. :p

What do we know about this person?

1. Always referred to as "he", so I'm assuming that until something changes my mind.

2. He's a fan of Sherlock's from way back, even before Sherlock met John. http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/forum/page1

3. He's as snooty and dismissive as Sherlock, but nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is. And he seems rather jealous of John, at least at first. http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/forum/page5 passim and http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/07february passim.

But he's smarter than me (altho that's not hard) because he figured out Moriarty's 3rd message: http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/forum/page4

4. Because he's "internet savvy", Sherlock enlisted him to help solve a crime. And he appeared to have some kind of crisis/breakdown after Sherlock's "death". http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/23may and http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/17june. At this point, John appears to know who he really is. (?)

Soooo ... not smart, so not Mycroft. Helps/likes Sherlock, so not Jim or CAM or any of the other villains. Not Molly, Donovan, Harry, Stamford or Mrs. H, they're accounted for. Not Lestrade, he's too sane. Not Irene, just because I don't think she would write like that, she'd be all games and seduction.

I still lean towards Anderson, mostly because of the breakdown, and because he just seems like the type. Or a character we haven't met yet. Or even possibly a character we never will meet..... :(

Mummy or Daddy? I just can't see them as "internet savvy", honestly. Bill Wiggins maybe? Who have I overlooked?