Benedict Cumberbatch News

Ruthyone

Benedict Cumberbatch returns as young Rumpole in two new Radio 4 dramas

Cumbers displays his taste for radio dramas as he reprises his role as John Mortimer's much-loved barrister in two new stories to be aired next week

47017.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch fans, you’re in for a treat next week. Radio 4 will be airing not one but two freshly-minted Rumpole adaptations for your pleasure. 

Yes, folks, that’s right. Recorded last month (pictured) when Cumberbatch was on a flying visit to London, it sees Cumbers play the younger version of John Mortimer’s much-loved barrister. 

In Rumpole and the Old Boy Net to air on Radio 4 on Thursday 20 March 2014, Cumberbatch’s Rumpole fights a case of blackmail with the help of his new pupil Phillida Trant (Cathy Sara).

The younger Rumpole is also being badgered by his wife to become a QC in order to have enough money to pay for a decent private education for their young son Nicholas.

The following day – Friday March 21 – Radio 4 will broadcast the next new Rumpole drama, Rumpole and the Sleeping Partners.

In it Rumpole temporarily leaves his wife Hilda after a row and discovers Phillida appearing to get close to his rival Claude Erskine-Brown (Nigel Anthony) before she falls for Rumpole himself. In addition, our hero examines the case of Hugo Lutterworth, who's accused of trying to kill the husband of his lover. 

Cumberbatch has been playing the role of the younger Rumpole in Radio 4 dramas since 2009.

Adaptations have included Rumpole and the Expert Witness and Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders.

Previously, Timothy West has played the older Rumpole remembering his early career and introducing listeners to the younger version of himself. But R4 confirmed that he will not appear in the two new dramas, which focuses squarely on the younger incarnation played by Cumberbatch.

However West may well reappear future Rumpole dramas according to producer Marilyn Imrie.

She told RadioTimes.com: "We are very much hoping to have  an episode in which they meet and talk to each other in some form of ether. That would be a great story."

During his "flying visit" to London Cumberbatch also recorded the last ever episode of John Finnemore's Cabin Pressure to air at Christmas, an occasion witnessed by RadioTimes.com.

Fans flooded the BBC with requests for a prized ticket to the recording of - with 22,854 fans applying for just 200 places.

* Rumpole and the Old Boy Net airs at 2.15pm on Radio 4 on Thursday 20 March 2014.  Rumpole and the Sleeping Partners airs at 2.15pm on Radio 4 on Friday 21 Mar 2014.

• Like 5

Oh, my goodness -- I didn't know about this radio program at all.  I loved Leo McKern as the television Rumpole a few decades ago, even though I always had a heck of a time understanding what he was saying.  (McKern-as-Rumpole talked like he had a mouth full of mashed potatoes, and there were no subtitles back then.)

Wonder if I could understand Mr. Cumberbatch's Rumpole?  Too bad we don't get Radio 4 over here!

Oh, my goodness -- I didn't know about this radio program at all.  I loved Leo McKern as the television Rumpole a few decades ago, even though I always had a heck of a time understanding what he was saying.  (McKern-as-Rumpole talked like he had a mouth full of mashed potatoes, and there were no subtitles back then.)

Wonder if I could understand Mr. Cumberbatch's Rumpole?  Too bad we don't get Radio 4 over here!

Hi Carol - I don't know whether you can get BBC Radio 4 through your computer - here's a newspaper link http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2011/nov/03/ask-jack-bbc-radio-italy

I'm sure someone on the Sherlock Forum will know more about this subject though.

• Like 2

Benedict Cumberbatch- News Round Up

C2-225x300.jpgBenedict Cumberbatch will be appearing at Oz Comic Con. He will be appearing in both Adelaide & Sydney on 5th & 6th April and 12th & 13th April respectively. VIP tickets to both events sold out in less than 5 minutes but other tickets are available at the site.

Benedict was recently interviewed by the New York Times and you can read the interview here.

Benedict and Alice Eve appear in a new photoshoot for GQ Style magazine which is on sale now.

Benedict has also voiced a new ad for Jaguar.

Finally if you enjoyed Benedict photobombing U2 at the Oscars you can now see the video of it!

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Pale text colors are nearly invisible against the white IP.Board and Mobile background

Don't know where else to put this, but ET Canada has an online bracket-style Hottest Actor of 2014 battle. Didn't it mention it round here yet because whoever chose the candidates obviously has no taste and forgot to include Martin Freeman :P. But now it's in Round 3 and it's Benedict Cumberbatch against Tom Hiddleston, and he's trailing behind (49/51 as of now) so go vote here.

Can't win 'em all, but Benedict was just (about 2 minutes ago!) used in a Jeopardy clue, and Tom Hiddleston wasn't. That must count for something! :-)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Benedict's been selected as one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People of 2014!

Link: http://time.com/#70781/benedict-cumberbatch-2014-time-100/

However, I found the website virtually unnavigable, so here's the text (full text? Can't tell.) of the article here. Note who wrote it.

TIME 100

Artists

Benedict Cumberbatch

By Colin Firth

April 23, 2014

The alarmingly talented English star

When I was about 25 years old, I worked with two very good actors. The encounters were brief, but I’ve remembered them both with great admiration. Wanda Ventham and Timothy Carlton both embodied qualities which one is fogyishly tempted to look at with nostalgia. Along with very considerable talent, they had elegance, glamor, wit, kindness and decency.

I didn’t know at the time that they were married or that they had a son of about 10 who was quietly gestating all the same attributes. And now, 30 years later, the boy has been let loose. He has taken the form of Benedict Cumberbatch.

His parents’ qualities are on rampant display. It’s rare to the point of outlandish to find so many variables in one actor, including features which ought to be incompatible: vulnerability, a sense of danger, a clear intellect, honesty, courage — and a rather alarming energy. I take no pleasure in feeling humbled, but there’s no getting around it.

He must be stopped.

Firth won an Academy Award for his portrayal of King George VI in The King’s Speech

• Like 3

Thank you so much for these, Alex! I have bookmarked them only because I hope to visit England and Scotland next year and if a guy like him recommends something it's got to be more then decent.

Carol and I would agree with him on how great it is to see London from a river boat.  We took a cruise boat from Westminster to Greenwich in 2011 and it was great (when we came back to Westminster, we walked to Trafalgar Square to see the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Premiere event).  Walking along the Thames is also great.  I think my favorite walk was in 2013 from St. Paul's Cathedral to the Tate Modern and then along the south bank, crossing back over onto the north bank on the Tower Bridge. We crossed the Waterloo Bridge and Westminster Bridge several times in 2011 because our hotel was on Waterloo Road and the view of Big Ben and the Parliament from those bridges was fantastic.

• Like 1

I had to laugh at the headline, because when has Benedict ever NOT looked good in a suit!