What did you hope for / fear in S3 - that didn't happen?

Carol the Dabbler

Well, I know that's the reason he (sort of) gave, but I regard that as a rather pathetic excuse. :-)  No, I was thinking more of his remark "there were so many times I almost got in touch." (Or something to that effect.) It was so similar to John's "lettling it slide." Neither of them quite had the -- nerve? -- to initiate contact once they had let so much time go by. Basically, the same thing you said! :-)

It still doesn't explain why John was lied to in the first place tho, does it? I'm still wrestling with that one.

I was afraid Mary would be too perfect a character because of all the criticism about Irene. I thought, they won't dare to do anything wild with a female protagonist again; she'll be a total role model and form a crime solving trio with Sherlock and John. How wrong I was! I must say, I like everything they did with her except for the "professional assassin" background (I did want and expect her to have a guilty secret but I was hoping for something better than that) and the reconciliation at Christmas. I get angry when she starts to cry. Not at her, but at the person who wrote that scene. Poor Mary.

• Like 1

I agree.  Due to the prior two episode AND Amanda Abbington's terrific portrayal, I can't help liking Mary, but I feel very sorry for the character, being forced by the writers into that sort of nonsense.

I continue to be amazed that we can all experience the same scenes so differently :) It is very interesting. I was actually moved by John's forgiveness of Mary, and by her tears - despite not liking her much throughout HLV. However, that's what moves me; that someone unforgiving gets forgiveness... because, really: No person always deserves forgiveness. So I liked that part, but didn't care much for her coldness. I'm starting to reconsider that viewpoint, though, as it makes for a more interesting character. I just hope she won't be a female version of Sherlock. He needs to remain unique.

I continue to be amazed that we can all experience the same scenes so differently :) It is very interesting. I was actually moved by John's forgiveness of Mary, and by her tears - despite not liking her much throughout HLV. However, that's what moves me; that someone unforgiving gets forgiveness... because, really: No person always deserves forgiveness. So I liked that part, but didn't care much for her coldness. I'm starting to reconsider that viewpoint, though, as it makes for a more interesting character. I just hope she won't be a female version of Sherlock. He needs to remain unique.

He does! That is what I want to see most of all, Sherlock being the great, brilliant, unparalleled Sherlock Holmes!

• Like 1