Star Wars

Caya

Oh my!  This site states that the narrator isn't Smaug, it's Gollum -- Andy Serkis!

And for those who haven't seen said trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OMOVFvcNfvE

I don't think so, but I don't know for sure, but I do know the shot of the x-wings flying over the water was cool.

Well, Andy Serkis is in the movie -- and he does do "voices" -- so more likely him than Benedict Cumberbatch, at any rate.

• Like 1

Yeah when I first heard it I thought the very first line sounded like Benedict, but then the rest of it not as much.  I do hope he shows up in the series somewhere, sometime...if not that's okay because it will still be incredible I'm sure.  I got chills just watching that trailer. I can't wait!!!! 

• Like 1

The narrator's identity has been "revealed" all over the internet, but not yet by any truly reliable source.  I suspect they'll wait till all the hubbub dies down, and then issue an official statement -- which may trigger more hubbub.

• Like 1

Reported from what appears to be a very reliable source (hitfix/ global news via uproxx.com) that it is indeed Andy Serkis voicing the teaser.

While watching some of the absolute radio interviews linked in The Hobbit thread, I found 1 of Andy Serkis & he indeed confirms he's the narrator of the teaser trailer but won't reveal his character/role in the film.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I'll bet the crowd went nuts!! Based on what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek, I expect to fall head over heels for this myself!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Alex just found this:  Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens Official Teaser Trailer #2:

Warning:  Some of the comments on the YouTube page may contain spoilers.

P.S.:  Did we already know that Simon Pegg is in this?  (No character name listed yet on IMDb.)

And wow -- Kenny Baker (of course) and Warwick Davis and Kirin Shah all in one movie!

• 2 weeks later...

:wtf:   All I see in your post, J.P., is "This portion of the requested page has been blocked."  When I "click here for details," I get a time-out error.

I do see the video and the link - maybe your temporary ISP is blocking YouTube, Carol.

eta: Great minds think alike (and at the same time) :D.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We just came back from the midnight premiere. First impression - meh. Not bad but not spectacular either, imho, mostly more of the same. Will write more tomorrow when I'm awake enough to spoiler-tag properly ;).

• Like 1

No fair -- you get midnight sooner!  :P

I think we'll wait till next week and do a weekday matinee.  Should be fun to see all those familiar faces (and/or prosthetics), regardless of the plot.

Okay, reasonably well rested review incoming. Don't click on the spoiler tags unless you, well, want to be spoilered or have seen it already.

The good:
It's a beatifully shot film, and it feels organic. No more CGI orgies like in the prequels, the ground scenes look like real places and you can actually follow the space battles.
The initial disorientation phase is short. I was wondering whether I was supposed to know

the guy Poe is meeting at the beginning, and how come there are still stormtroopers around,

but the story draws you in quickly enough.
Speaking of

stormtroopers

- there are female mooks, and no big deal is made out of it ... some of the

stormtroopers and rebel pilots

just happen to be female, because of course they are. That left me really happy.
The new chars are mostly great additions.

Rey is written and acted well, as is Finn (the only stormtrooper who ever managed to actually hit anything, and he defects - got your problem right here, bad guys). While Maz reminded me a bit of Edna Mode, she was okay. Poe remains a bit bland imho.

Nostalgia - the film hits the sweet spot quite beautifully there on occasion, mostly when Han Solo is involved. All the recurring actors do well, though, without hogging the spotlight. Great balance there, though I would've liked a bit more Leia.

The bad:
The logical leaps, both physics and plot related. Okay, I understood from Star Trek that JJ Abrams isn't particularly interested in even pretending to care about scientific believability, but that

death star, pardon me, planet,

was bad.

Firing across half the galaxy because they just can, somehow, with a planet-based (and sized) weapon that still has its contractually required weak point conveniently located at the surface.

The universe isn't much better. So we have

a Republic and a First Order, against which there is a Resistance that is affiliated with the Republic but not really,

and it doesn't make a lot of sense considering the end of the original trilogy.

Snoke wasn't much of a character, but maybe they're saving him for the next episode(s). Considering Kylo Ren, maybe seeing so little of him was for the best, though.

Han's death was telegraphed a mile away imho, which took away some of the impact.

Otoh, it finally answered the question, "How did they get Harrison Ford to return for the role?"

So Luke Skywalker has a bad experience with a student and just runs away to a place unknown and pouts? This ancient Jedi temple had better have some big payoff in the next episodes, or that seems mightily irresponsible of the last Jedi. "New Jedi are needed or the galaxy is doomed, and I am the sole person who has the ancient knowledge to train more, but sorry, I'm currently being emo." And while we're at it, why did he train Ben but not Leia? Not that training seems to be all that necessary these days, though. Both Rey and Finn do well in a lightsaber duel against a trained Force-user despite having zero of it, so maybe Luke is excused there.

The ugly:

Kylo Ren. Oh dear. "He's got too much of Vader in him." No, he's got too much of Anni in him. Granted, Abrams stayed true to canon there - he really is little Anakin's grandson. Apparently it's no longer fear and anger that lead to the dark side, but angst.

The Firing of the New Weapon scene.

Could they maybe hit you over the head with the symbolism a bit harder? It's difficult to imagine how.
The "more of the same" feeling. That's what remains as my overall impression. Okay, there's nostalgia and there's fanservice, but

sending the orphan from the desert planet with the latent Force powers against a copycat Empire with a bigger death star,

that's pushing it.

Like I said, it's not a bad film overall, imho. But it certainly didn't overwhelm me either. Good popcorn entertainment, which was probably the goal anyway.