Why does "Blind Banker" bother some people?

jesskayding

Why does the blind banker bother people so much. That was one of my favorites. Probably because I have a sort of fascination with the Asian culture. I love the opening scene. It was so serene. I collect tea pots. I have a really nice hand painted one, that's truly from Taiwan, not " made " in Taiwan for American manufacturing.

Not only that we got to see that weakness Moriarty refers to.."everything has to be so clever".

He asks John how did he know which shop..."its right here in his diary"

He's spinning John in circles to see how much of the painted over code did he actually remember. Johns like I took a picture of it.

The romantic side of me wishes that Soo Yoo? had lived & in the episode somewhere we could've seen her & that geeky guy on a date having drinks @ the pub.(tear). But life rarely is so neat.

I also think it was an episode where we saw the loyalty & dependency these men had for one anther. I really loved it. It was one of those episodes that made my heart flutter. Ok I may be about to get something started, but I would have liked to see Sarah as John's Mary. I really liked her.

• Like 2

Why does the blind banker bother people so much.

I'm not sure... I like it fine too. Not my favorite, but I like it. It's very Doyle-ish, and I liked Soo Lin as well. And that "Sherlock, I took a photo" moment, that is one of my favorites.

• Like 1

Why does the blind banker bother people so much.

I'm not sure... I like it fine too. Not my favorite, but I like it. It's very Doyle-ish, and I liked Soo Lin as well. And that "Sherlock, I took a photo" moment, that is one of my favorites.

I don't dislike it, exactly, but it is my least favorite ... I find the Soo Lin bits, and the circus bits, rather boring. On the other hand, it has some of my all time favorite scenes in it!

I liked Sarah a lot too.

• Like 2

I really liked the circus bit, Set us up for the tunnel scene. Not only that Sarah did the whole I'm frighten I need to hold on to my strong man for protection. Flirtation & how to get a 2nd date 101.

But hay we are all entitled to our opinions. :)

Why does the blind banker bother people so much. That was one of my favorites. Probably because I have a sort of fascination with the Asian culture. I love the opening scene. It was so serene. I collect tea pots. I have a really nice hand painted one, that's truly from Taiwan, not " made " in Taiwan for American manufacturing.

Not only that we got to see that weakness Moriarty refers to.."everything has to be so clever".

He asks John how did he know which shop..."its right here in his diary"

He's spinning John in circles to see how much of the painted over code did he actually remember. Johns like I took a picture of it.

The romantic side of me wishes that Soo Yoo? had lived & in the episode somewhere we could've seen her & that geeky guy on a date having drinks @ the pub.(tear). But life rarely is so neat.

I also think it was an episode where we saw the loyalty & dependency these men had for one anther. I really loved it. It was one of those episodes that made my heart flutter. Ok I may be about to get something started, but I would have liked to see Sarah as John's Mary. I really liked her.

Yes, I loved Sarah, and was hoping she'd become a regular.  And Andy is such a sweetie.  I like a lot of other things about the episode too (including the scenes you mention).  But in order to enjoy watching it, I have to force myself to ignore the plot.  It simply Does Not Hang Together.

• Like 1

I thought it worked wonderfully, it connects to the show before & after it. We were set up in SIP with the mention of Moriarty, then we start to get a taste of how involved he is in seriously criminal activity with this gang in TBB. Also we get a since of his coldness & level of intelligence in his response to Shan.

Then in TGG... We see Moriarty's master criminal mind @ work .. We actually get to meet him.

TBB gave us a glimpse into the past of Sherlock, not only as a kid, but who he was & how he was perceived in college. I thought out of any season that's been produced so far, TBB has been the most cohesive transition between show 1 & 2. :mellow:

• Like 1

True, TBB contributes very nicely to the story arc.  But when I said the plot doesn't hang together, I meant the episode's own internal plot.  Just for starters, the Black Lotus knows that either Van Coon or Lukis stole the hairpin, meaning that one of them is the only person in the entire world who knows where it is now.  So how do they go about getting it back?  They kill both Van Coon and Lukis!  Congratulations, guys -- now nobody knows where it is!  (Good thing they have Sherlock Holmes to figure it out.  ;)  )

There are other plot weaknesses as well, but I needn't go into them here, because a number of them have already been mentioned on the "Blind Banker" thread (which is easy enough to read through since it's only six pages long).

Okay. Now I get your point. Van coon probably would have sang like a canary if they would have questioned him 1st... Then they would have killed him without needing to leave cyphers. Hay, but we never would have met Raz & got introduced to the graffiti jungle... And my miss understanding of ASBO( although now that scene isn't as funny to me now that I know he didn't say a** bow), would have never been clarified.

Yeah I don't see Spider being able to scale that bank. It was still fun. That guy really did look like a Sebastian.

• Like 1

Okay. Now I get your point. Van coon probably would have sang like a canary if they would have questioned him 1st... Then they would have killed him without needing to leave cyphers.

Exactly! (And Lukis would've sung even quicker, I bet -- though of course he had no idea what they were looking for.)

But you're right, we would have missed out on a lot -- kinda like if Sherlock had simply let Mary shoot Magnussen in the first place.

You know I'm noticing in every show there would have been a more natural response to this or that. It has me thinking. The past 15 years movies really try to get rid of those yeah right moments.

Back in the day, the story was just the story. Rather it was plausable or not. Do you think the writers of this Sherlock is just getting back to good ole fashioned story telling?

Story-telling, definitely! Old-fashioned or not, I don't think I'm qualified to say.

In a lot of cases, I think Moftiss are focused on working a particular canon tidbit into the story.  For example, "Blind Banker" uses a lot of the plot from "Sign of the Four," including the small-but-athletic intruder coming in through the skylight and killing someone that (at least in the original story) his boss didn't actually want killed.  So maybe General Shan was really pissed!

• Like 1

Oh that would explain the bad reasoning behing the killing of van coon & the other guy. It wasn't supposed to happen that way- forcing Shan to rely on the wit of Sherlock Holmes.

Wish they'd had Shan say something to that effect.  That would have helped immensely.  But she doesn't seem the type to confide in her enemies.  And I think she still had the same guy working for her, so if he had screwed up, maybe she was somehow unaware of it -- like maybe he lied (not that I'd blame him!)?

That's a pretty neat conclusion, Carol. I think I'll assume that's what happened from now on. :)

Of course we love it! Just, ah, not as much, y'know, as some of the other (8) episodes..... :D

• Like 1

That's a pretty neat conclusion, Carol. I think I'll assume that's what happened from now on. :)

Thanks!  Think I'll give it a try too.  Sure can't hurt!

• Like 1

Guess what's on one of our PBS stations at this very moment. Yep, Soo Lin is still rather boring, sorry. She's a bit of a cliche. And, there they go, abandoning her to her fate .......

You so lucky. My PBS station hasn't shown anything Sherlockyish!

I feel like her character transports me to another time or place. I imagine the gentle tussle of leaves in the forest... Oh look over there a waterfall & a lagoon. Her scenes are so tragically romantic. :mellow:

• Like 1

Yeah, we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to PBS stations in the DC area! But no way to know what's on them without going online to every channel every day. So I miss half the good stuff.

This was the edited version, again, though. Grrrr.

• Like 1