Benedict Cumberbatch in "Frankenstein"

sfmpco

This just popped up onto my Facebook newsfeed... The filmed version(s) of Frankenstein are being released into theaters (probably UK only) on Oct. 30.

• Like 1

They work with a bunch of venues in the US (and other countries) as well -- though I have no idea which (if any) of them might be showing Frankenstein this time around.

Also check with your local cinema, mine is not on the list on the link above,  yet they are showing it again.  I've seen both versions, and although I would like to see it again, if I had to choose one version it would be as Miller (Monster) and Cumberbatch (Frankenstein) 

Oh, thanks, Arcadia -- I hadn't noticed that handy little interactive map of "Venues on sale soon."  Much more user-friendly than the list I linked to!

• Like 1

That has no cinema's in Australia showing it, and I know my local cinema is, so maybe just check with the cinema's around that would be likely to show this just in case.

Hands up - who has seen Frankenstein 

On stage?

At the cinema?

I've seen both versions at the cinema,  I might struggle to get someone to come with me to see it again, but I would like to.

On stage?

At the cinema?

I've seen both versions at the cinema,  I might struggle to get someone to come with me to see it again, but I would like to.

Where are you located?

On stage?

At the cinema?

Where are you located?

In Australia.  

• 2 weeks later...

Both versions are being shown at one of our local cinemas - Jonny Lee as the Creature on October 30th and Benedict in that role on November 4th. Can't wait to see them again, and The Imitation Game will be out on the 14th. Bliss.

Anyway, if you haven't seen them and get the chance, I would advise seeing both if possible, to see what each man brings to the different roles. No disrespect to Mr Miller, but in my (biased) opinion, Benedict gave the better performance in each case. For a start, he was funnier. The story isn't a million laughs but he does manage to wring a little humour fom both roles. He is also heartbreaking. That is why, if you can only see one film, I would suggest the one with Benedict as the Creature. He is excellent as Frankenstein (and very pretty!) but so moving as the Creature. I defy anyone to watch the scene where he speaks of what love and companionship means to him, and remain unmoved. It is not a frightening story - just incredibly sad.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the USA and it's being shown here as well.  I am about to get my ticket through Fandago (hopefully) and noticed that the link will tell you who is playing the creature & who is playing Frankenstein if you read it even though the page doesn't directly say it.  The date I'm planning for has BC as the Creature.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On stage?

At the cinema?

I have never seen it and for some reason it never interested me, though I do like the book and some of the previous versions I have seen.

now I want to go and see it in cinemas (NTL). I look actually forward to it. 

I am soooo seeing this on 10/27 with a bunch of friends!!  I saw that preview above when we were watching Streetcar.  Looks sooo good.

2653371-3760870025-cheer.gif

• Like 2

Just saw this today, with Cumberbatch as the Creature. It was simply fantastic. I didn't think I was much of a fan of live theater, but I guess I've just needed to be able to really see what the actors are doing, which I could thanks to great, close-up but not intrusive camera work. I'm hooked on this format now.

Both Cumberbatch and Miller did a fantastic job. For those who aren't familiar with this script (I wasn't), the Creature is very much the protagonist, and Cumberbatch just brought (as you'd expect) an intelligence, a vulnerability, and an athleticism to the part. At one point, I became convinced that the purpose of switching roles each night was a kindness to let "stage burn" and bruises heal after the mesmerizing introduction where the Creature is learning how his body works.

Miller was wonderful too. He brought strength and internal conflict to a part that had to stand out to balance the raw emotion from the Creature. I can't wait to see more of his work.

Does anyone know if they plan to release these performances on DVD?

• Like 3

Looks like I'm the only one who chose to see BC as the doctor? Going Wednesday, can't wait.

• Like 1

I would have loved to see Benedict as Victor Frankenstein however, my schedule does not permit it.

Well, Boton, looks like that decided my evening activity for 13 November: Cumberbatch as the Creature. I had an eye on it for some time now, but was still not sure since the ride to the only cinema I found showing Frankenstein takes quite some time and it's expensive, too. But what must be, must be.

• Like 1

Well, Boton, looks like that decided my evening activity for 13 November: Cumberbatch as the Creature. I had an eye on it for some time now, but was still not sure since the ride to the only cinema I found showing Frankenstein takes quite some time and it's expensive, too. But what must be, must be.

well, normally NTL is not show in the local cinemas too.

I'd have loved to go and see Coriolanus again (after the theatre), but I'd have had to travel to another city and I was too lazy to do it, after all.

surprisingly we're being lucky with frankenstein, which pleases me a great deal   :lol:

• Like 1

Just saw this today, with Cumberbatch as the Creature. It was simply fantastic. I didn't think I was much of a fan of live theater, but I guess I've just needed to be able to really see what the actors are doing, which I could thanks to great, close-up but not intrusive camera work. I'm hooked on this format now.

Live theater is da bomb! -- when it's done well. The next time someone tries to hand me tickets to an amateur production, remind me to run the other way ... fast.

Can you say why it's rated R? I'm trying to get some friends to go with me but the R rating's scared them off.

Live theater is da bomb! -- when it's done well. The next time someone tries to hand me tickets to an amateur production, remind me to run the other way ... fast.

Can you say why it's rated R? I'm trying to get some friends to go with me but the R rating's scared them off.

Arcadia, I'm not the motion picture ratings board, but I would guess it's a couple of things:

1.  The Creature is semi-naked, spending a lot of the first part of the play wearing a flesh-colored breach clout.  It's not sexual in any way.  Also, the Creature's "bride," who appears briefly, is clothed the same, so you do see bare breast and nipple -- the nipples have flesh colored make-up on, so the effect is again not sexual in any way.

2.  There is a stylized rape and murder scene.  It's clear what's going on, but I didn't find it graphic, other than being clear that this is what they were portraying.  

I think those are the only things that could have done it.

Yes, I agree with you about amateur production.  I'm totally fine with a production that's supposed to be amateur -- like community theater or a school -- but I am officially done with the kind of "professional" tours that visit this small city I live near.  I'll wait to do one of these NTL show, thankyouverymuch.

• Like 2

I'm leaving in a few minutes myself. Looking forward to Benedict as the creature.

• Like 1

Arcadia, I'm not the motion picture ratings board, but I would guess it's a couple of things:

Thanks, Boton. Alas, my friends are all a bunch of scaredy cats, they're still not going. :P
  • Like 1

1c94eb014fbade041bba788fffe3a1ab.jpg

You just made my day, that gif is like one of my all time favorite things ever.