200 400 600 700 -- 1,000 members now!

I am a bit slow on the uptake, but I saw when I started a thread a few days ago, it auto-posted to my Twitter account.  Which is a great thing, because I can RT it.  It got me to thinking: the atmosphere is so relaxed here about straying around the topic, part of what can make really good conversation, but I wonder if we are missing the opportunity to let people know about the forum?

So, it occurs that if we are chatting about something and part of that can be a whole thread, let's make one!  I think I'll do that a bit later!  The closer we get to Series 3 next fall, I think the more activity we'll have.

... if we are chatting about something and part of that can be a whole thread, let's make one!  I think I'll do that a bit later!  The closer we get to Series 3 next fall, I think the more activity we'll have.

You're absolutely right, Julia Mae, and we do split a thread sometimes when it wanders off onto a really specific topic.  Sometimes, though, doing this seems to kill the enthusiasm, so I'm a bit hesitant about it (and also a bit lazy!).  And of course, sometimes I just don't think of it -- so please feel free to suggest dividing a thread.  In case you aren't sure exactly what I'm talking about here, Admins and Mods are able to choose specific posts from one thread and either move them to another existing thread or use them to create a brand-new thread.

Alternatively -- and I think this is what you're actually talking about -- if off-topic chitchat inspires you, please free to start a new thread yourself.  I believe new threads show up on our news feed, so yes, any new threads would help "advertise" us.  The only proviso is, please KEEP ALL TITLES NON-SPOILERY, even if they are in the Spoilers forum area, since they will be seen by innocent eyes all over the web.

I think you're right about Series 3 sparking new interest.  In fact, I think it's starting to happen already!

• Like 1

Not only do new threads show up in our RSS feed, they are cross-published to our Twitter account @SherlockForum too, all by the magic of the Interwebs!

Huzzah!

:D

(In other words, we like new threads, new threads are good!)

:lol2:

Hmm, just checked out our Twitter page (thanks for the link, Tim!), and noticed that they cut things off after only about 100 characters (counting the title).  Is that limit imposed by the RSS feed?  In any case, bearing that in mind, it pays to keep our thread titles terse, and then get to the point right away!

That would be Twitter itself. No single tweet can be more than 140 characters in length. So once you add the shortened URL...

... if we are chatting about something and part of that can be a whole thread, let's make one!  I think I'll do that a bit later!  The closer we get to Series 3 next fall, I think the more activity we'll have.

Alternatively -- and I think this is what you're actually talking about -- if off-topic chitchat inspires you, please free to start a new thread yourself.  I believe new threads show up on our news feed, so yes, any new threads would help "advertise" us.  The only proviso is, please KEEP ALL TITLES NON-SPOILERY, even if they are in the Spoilers forum area, since they will be seen by innocent eyes all over the web.

I think you're right about Series 3 sparking new interest.  In fact, I think it's starting to happen already!

Yes, that was what I meant, the we, the members, can start new threads.  Heck, I bet there's three different threads just in my welcome thread! 

Right, we do tend to jump around a bit, just like a "real" conversation!   :)

Thanks, Tim -- I didn't realize that the 140 characters included the URL.  Wow, that's really short!

• 2 months later...

Oops!  You're absolutely correct -- well over 600, in fact!  :applause:

Thank you, congratulations to all of us  :boing: and I'll go change the title again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, Alice, it looks like you were (and are!) number sixty.  (And several of the earlier "members" are test accounts and such, so your member number is by all rights even lower than that.)  I came along about a month later at number 112.

By the way, we're rapidly approaching 700 now, and I expect we'll reach it within another month.

You need an account to post anywhere on the forum, or to send private messages, but the only area where you need an account just for looking is the adult section.  A lot of people seem to join and then mostly just lurk.

Hey, out there -- post something & join the fun!

Hmm, I see what you mean.  When I'm logged out, I can still bring up that subforum's index page, but if I try to open a thread, I'm blocked.

So yeah, you have a very good point there -- some people may very well be joining the forum just so they can read the Spoilers threads.  That's fine.  But hopefully some of them will become sufficiently interested to post now and then!

Some may also register without intent to post to be able to use that nifty "new posts" function.

Regardless, I concur - come and join the fun :lol:. This forum is an oasis of politeness in the wilderness of the www that has to be experienced to be believed.

• Like 1

Some may also register without intent to post to be able to use that nifty "new posts" function.

Another good point!  I'm so fond of the "New Content" page that I've bookmarked directly to it, and rarely even see the main index page.

Actually, Alice, it looks like you were (and are!) member number sixty

Oh, goodness me. Sixty, then! :P  HA! (Thanks, Carol.)

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Added quote that Alice was responding to

• 4 weeks later...