Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to link to Youtube & other things

youtube link

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Convict13

Convict13

Detective Superintendent

• 328 posts
  • Location221B Baker Street.
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:43 AM

I've looked and cannot find (except one mention that doesn't seem to work), so hopefully someone can enlightened me, how does one attach a link to youtube on here?

I'm not your housekeeper!

#2 Caya

Caya

Consulting Detective

• 3,059 posts
  • LocationVienna
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

If you mean a link to youtube as in blue text that you click on and that then takes you to youtube, just the same as any other link (the symbol that looks like a chain to the right of the Numbered List symbol, above the box where you write the text in).

If you mean a link to youtube as in the video showing up here in the forum directly, just copy and paste the video URL in. No extra effort necessary - the nifty forum software understands what it is.

Or just put it in however you like and one of us mods will fix it as soon as we come across it :smile:.

• Carol the Dabbler and Convict13 like this
Martina

#3 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Right -- though for making the video show up in the post, one is supposed to use the "media" BBCode -- like this without the spaces between the [ and the ] and the word media:

[ media ]  video.URL  [ /media ]

While Martina is correct in saying that the naked URL will work just as well at this point, I suspect there's no guarantee that it will continue to do so.  If you want your posts to keep working despite future software upgrades, it's safest to use the advertised methods.

There are several ways of getting the video's URL -- if you're on the actual YouTube page, just copy the URL from the bar at the top of the page.  If not (say, if you're wanting to repost a YouTube video you've seen embedded in a blog), then right-click on the video frame and select "Get Video URL" from the drop-down menu -- or alternatively click the YouTube button at the bottom of the video frame, which will take you to the actual YouTube page, then copy the page's URL as above.

P.S.:  There's also a "media" option in the editor task bar.  All in all, I find it just as easy to type in the code, but for those who prefer to use the buttons, here's how:

Get the video URL as above and paste it into your post, then highlight it.  Click on the Special BBCodes button (the square thing between the "eraser" and the "Font" menu) in the editor task bar, and you'll get a drop-down menu -- click on "Media."  Click "OK."

Testing (to make sure I didn't just lie to y'all):

Yay!  It worked!  :D

• Undead Medic and Convict13 like this

-- Carol

#4 Convict13

Convict13

Detective Superintendent

• 328 posts
  • Location221B Baker Street.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

It works,  great  thanks so much.  

I'm not your housekeeper!

#5 Pawse

Pawse

Detective Superintendent

• 410 posts
  • LocationInside Sherlock's Mind Palace
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

What's going on with the video clips? I saw some in a couple of threads, tried to click, and they wouldn't play..! :o
Jeremy Brett/David Burke/Edward Hardwicke, Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce, Ronald Howard/H Marion Crawford, Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law,
Douglas Wilmer/Peter Cushing/Nigel Stock, Vasily Livanov/Vitaly Solomin, Benedict Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman

#6 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

Could you link us to a couple of those posts?

-- Carol

#7 Bendydoodle Cantaloupe

Bendydoodle Cantaloupe

Consulting Detective

• 1,611 posts
  • Twitter @UnoffishaMisha
  • Locationthe deepest depths of a closet in michigan
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

Can you embed pictures in this way too?

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Don' t sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. ~George Carlin ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

*AO3*    SH  -  JW  -  JM x    *dA* 

#8 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

If you mean still images, those are handled just a bit differently (as below, but omitting internal spaces):

[ img ] URL-of-image [ /img ]

This is called hot-linking, because you're not actually embedding the photo in your post, you're actually linking to the website where you found it.  If that's, for example, on somebody's blog, then every time someone looks at that page of the forum, they're causing activity on the blog itself, which can eventually cause the owner to be charged an extra fee or even get kicked off the hosting site.  So I try to use that method only when the photo is on a commercial site.  Alternatively, you can copy the photo to your Photobucket account and hot-link to that.

-- Carol

#9 Bendydoodle Cantaloupe

Bendydoodle Cantaloupe

Consulting Detective

• 1,611 posts
  • Twitter @UnoffishaMisha
  • Locationthe deepest depths of a closet in michigan

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

Thanks, Carol! :D

• Carol the Dabbler likes this

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Don' t sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. ~George Carlin ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

*AO3*    SH  -  JW  -  JM x    *dA* 

#10 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Inspector

• 75 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:54 PM

If you mean a link to youtube as in blue text that you click on and that then takes you to youtube, just the same as any other link (the symbol that looks like a chain to the right of the Numbered List symbol, above the box where you write the text in).

If you mean a link to youtube as in the video showing up here in the forum directly, just copy and paste the video URL in. No extra effort necessary - the nifty forum software understands what it is.

Or just put it in however you like and one of us mods will fix it as soon as we come across it :smile:.

I am bumping this three-year-old query because I have yet to be successful at cutting and pasting anything into these text boxes.  I've tried links and regular text.  The only way I am able to insert a link is to type it out verbatim.  I'm sure I am doing something wrong or not activating some function I need to be, but Caya's instructions here are not working for me so I need a tutorial.  Thanks!

I am the Stormy Petrel of crime.

#11 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:28 AM

First, what sort of device are you on? That makes a difference for some things, and it never hurts to have that information.

What exactly are you wanting to accomplish (and failing at)? If there's more than one type of thing, pick one for now (to minimize confusion) and we can deal with the others later.

-- Carol

#12 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Inspector

• 75 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

First, what sort of device are you on? That makes a difference for some things, and it never hurts to have that information.

What exactly are you wanting to accomplish (and failing at)? If there's more than one type of thing, pick one for now (to minimize confusion) and we can deal with the others later.

I am on a regular Windows PC.

Every now and then, I would like to post a link to a YouTube video or a book title on Amazon, for instance.  Or just a block of regular text from an article.  Nothing happens when I attempt to cut and paste from my browser into this text box.  That's it, really.  I'm not trying to embed videos or anything crazy.  The few times I have been able to put a link into here, I had to type it out manually from the website.  So do I need to 'enable links' or something from a command I don't know about?

I am the Stormy Petrel of crime.

#13 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Glad to hear you're on a Windows PC, because that's what I have the most experience with myself!

OK, first let's work on simply copying text, using some Sherlock Holmes quotes as our source.  I have no idea whether you have any experience with copy-and-paste in general, so I'll be fairly specific -- but if you need help with any particular step, please let me know.

1.  Open the Holmes quotes page in another tab or another window.

2.  Highlight some text, like this:

His ignorance was as remarkable as his knowledge. Of contemporary literature, philosophy and politics he appeared to know nothing. Upon my quoting Thomas Carlyle, he inquired in the naivest way who he might be and what he had done. My surprise reached a climax, however, when I found incidentally that he was ignorant of the Copernican Theory and of the composition of the Solar System. That any civilized being in this nineteenth century should not be aware that the earth traveled round the sun appeared to me to be such an extraordinary fact that I could hardly realize it.

3.  Copy the highlighted text.  You can use either your browser's Copy function, or you can type Ctrl/C (which I find easier).

4.  Back on the forum page, position your cursor where you want the text to appear in the Reply box.  (If you haven't yet opened the Reply box, just click anywhere inside it and the toolbar will appear.

5.  Paste the copied text.  You can use either your browser's Paste function, the Reply box's Paste function (toward the right-hand side of the top row of the toolbar) or you can type Ctrl/V (which I find easiest).  The text should appear in the Reply box

6.  Finish typing what you want to say as usual, then click Post.

Please try that and if it doesn't work, please let me know how far you got before things didn't seem to be working.

-- Carol

#14 Artemis

Artemis

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 724 posts
  • LocationBolt-hole
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

I mostly use the right click function on my mouse to copy/paste, but occasionally it won't work on something (like a fussy text box), in which case CTRL+C and CTRL+V usually do the trick.
  • Carol the Dabbler likes this

"Why have I got this blanket?  They keep putting this blanket on me."

#15 J.P.

J.P.

Consulting Detective

• 5,656 posts
  • Twitter @jp30567
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

A side note: I noticed that sometime the link made by the "share" function under a YT video will not embed this video on the forum. To be sure I always copy the URL that's in the browser's address bar.

• Carol the Dabbler and Artemis like this

Where's your heart - there's your treasure.
221C-Sherlock's Cellar - My designs for Sherlock Fans who don't want to be too obvious

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: youtube, link