Martin Freeman News

Carol the Dabbler

On 3/11/2018 at 11:51 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

MF just filmed a sitcom pilot called Breeders (about being a parent) based on an idea he got from a dream.

That same article mentions that he also has an upcoming comedy film called Ode to Joy. 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Do I dare hope it fails so he'll be available to film another Sherlock instead? Does that make me a bad person?

Drat. Now I feel guilty.

I seriously doubt that a BBC sitcom would keep him so occupied that he wouldn't have time for anything else.  Even the cast members  of American shows often make movies between seasons -- and BBC sitcoms are generally only six episodes per series, not fifteen or twenty.

So you are being a bad person for no good reason. But repent the error of your ways and you will be forgiven.

1 hour ago, Hikari said:

This man was born to play a Hobbit.  And John Watson. 

Martin's eyes are dark blue but they always seem to photograph brown.  Am I the only one who thinks so?  I'd been watching 'Sherlock' for three years before I realized that MF's eyes weren't hazel or darker but actually navy blue.  They look more blue in the vid above this one.  When it dawned on me was when Sherl and John wake up in the drunk tank in So3 and John is sitting on the floor in a full blinding sunlight.  Only then did I see those orbs are actually blue. 

I thought they were brown as well, till we had watched the Series 1 DVD several times, and I finally noticed in the Sherlock-meets-John scene (I think the version in The Pilot, but not sure) there's a close up of John where the light catches his eyes just so.

In that instant, they looked a bright, clear blue, which made me wonder how they could often look a definite brown or amber.  So, as I do whenever something puzzles me, I went a-Googling and found a good clear high-resolution photo of him that shows his eyes as a whole hodge-podge of colors.  I would post a copy here, but, you know, PhotoBucket.  Short version -- they *are* hazel of a sort, what Mom's eye doctor calls blue-hazel.  (She and I also have eyes that color, so now I *finally* know what to call 'em.)

If I can find that photo again, I'll post a link.

But in the close up of his eye when they wake up in the cell after the stag do they very definitely look blue. 

Eurgh, Tumblr's back to being a cesspit because of this MF interview. Not read it yet, off to do so now. 

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-03-16/sherlock-watson-relationship-benedict-cumberbatch-martin-freeman-shipping-bbc/

Edit: Have now read. And yet again I think it's all an overreaction and what he said is perfectly reasonable and understandable. 

I don't even follow any of the ranty blogs on Tumblr, I only go on there for art and fic-recs, but people just will insist on reblogging other people's bile. 

As Tobe just said on another thread, I can see why people could have had those expectations, and the Moftisses shouldn't be surprised that many of those people didn't believe their denials, considering that they lied about other things in order to "surprise" us.  But blaming the actors?  Hardly seems either fair or lgical.

• 2 weeks later...

Pseud, do you know what that poster was advertising, exactly -- theatrical release, DVD, streaming?  All I've seen so far is this info from IMDb:

USA, 19 April 2018 (Tribeca Film Festival)

Australia, 17 May 2018

Wonder if that Australian date is theatrical release?  (The film was already shown there and in the UK at festivals last October.)

I don’t know, I think I saw someone say it was from the official website. 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1

The Cargo trailer is out. The baby is called Rosie. :D

There's a longer Ghost Stories trailer out too, but that looks too spooky for me. Actually I don't think that is new, I just hadn't seen it. 

• Like 1

The Cargo trailer ends by saying "Only on Netflix."  :cry:

Even if I wanted to spend that kind of money to watch just one movie, I don't think our internet service is fast enough for streaming.  Guess I'll just have to hope that they eventually make it available on DVD.  I really want to see this one.

Dunno 'bout Ghost Stories.

MF's on the Graham Norton show next week. I suppose he's talking mainly about Ghost Stories but I hope he mentions Cargo. 

• Thanks 1

He didn't talk about Cargo. There was a funny story about his fear of choking, but he didn't really talk a huge amount. 

Cumberbatch is on next week. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, to me he just looks sincere. Hard to tell with someone you don't really know. Especially if they're an accomplished actor. :smile:

At any rate, I don't see anything wrong with him saying whatever he's supposed to have said. Some of the fandom did indeed go overboard, imo, and some still are. I would find it off-putting too. 

• Like 1

I don't find anything wrong with it either. 

That second gif definitely looks ticked off to me. 

I think he's being sincere and/or earnest -- possibly because he's ticked off but doesn't want to show it.  ;)

Are you saying he's not a good enough actor to hide his annoyance? :P 

What I believe I said was that he may have been ticked off, but presented himself as sincere/earnest.  Or maybe you were talking to Pseud?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

He has every right to be irritated with the press. The press is just trying to create controversy where there isn't any. But maybe I'm being unfair. I mean the press isn't concerned with anything other than reporting the truth, right? :rolleyes:

He's especially ticked off because the misreportage resulted in Ben throwing some shade.  FreeBatch rift might be getting sewn up.