Janine

Arcadia

She struck me as a social extrovert looking for a man at the wedding. She wouldn't have minded sex with Sherlock so likely sexually active. Why would someone like that want to be in a sexless beekeeping companion type relationship with Sherlock? I wonder if someone like Janine or Irene for that matter fits the bill for that even in older age.

I could certainly see it in older age. A lot can happen to a person, and some people simply grow weary of their hectic lives. Maybe her libido lessens as she gets older. Maybe she goes through a few bad marriages and decides not to bother with it anymore. Maybe she's a widow and prefers to retire quietly. I don't know whether she struck me as an extrovert, but she definitely didn't strike me as so much of one that the idea of a quiet escape held no appeal for her. She did buy the cottage after all, as a single person, which at least shows it's somewhere she thinks she'd like to be sometimes, even alone. She doesn't have to do the beekeeping, Sherlock or someone else can do that. Maybe she doesn't even live there, maybe Sherlock does and she just visits from time to time. Who knows.

• Like 3

To be honest I've always had a harder time seeing Sherlock as someone who would retire to the country with bees, and yet...

But do we really know that much about Janine?  About all I can recall is her sense of humor.

Well, let's see ... we know she's comfortable wearing nothing but Sherlock's shirt in front of John, so I'd say she's fairly confident about her body (and rightly so. :smile:) To me that always implies someone's fairly confident overall, and we saw that she has no trouble approaching men. She puts up with Sherlock's drug use, and she works for slimebag Magnussen, so she's not a prig and might possibly be a little shady herself. She gets her revenge on Sherlock and then lets bygones be bygones, so she's willing to fight her own battles, but isn't clingy or vengeful.

How'm I doin'? :smile:

• Like 2

A lot of people extroverted or introverted have summer or vacation houses in the country or by a lake somewhere but they don't live there so I'm not sure that speaks to being extroverted either way. Yes older people slow down but the social types generally retire in communities with others similar to themselves so they can still maintain social circles because that's their fundamental nature. Janine didn't strike me as a retire to the quiet country by herself type of person.

I could see them as friends but semi live-in companions or beekeeping? Not so much.

To be honest I've always had a harder time seeing Sherlock as someone who would retire to the country with bees, and yet...

I could see Sherlock having no trouble living alone and not having to deal with the goldfish of the general population. Probably have some drugs on hand to deal with the boredom when in between his experiments and beekeeping. Maybe consult on cases here and there....

What about her did you think pointed to her being extroverted? There are confident introverts, talkative introverts, introverts with people-oriented jobs, introverts with high libidos, etc. Even introverts with a lot of social activities. Not saying she's not extroverted, I just didn't get a definitive feeling about that one way or the other, so I'm curious.

And yeah, I see them more as friends than anything, with her maybe or maybe not living there, and probably not taking much of an interest in the beekeeping herself. But at the least I could see her coming by for a few days to collect the rent, making them tea, and listening to him ooh and ahh over the wonders of bees.

• Like 3

My believing she's an extrovert had nothing to do with her job or liking sex. I was referring to her demeanor, how she communicated with everyone. She was demonstrative at the wedding hooting and hollering at the violin solo, how she got her revenge on Sherlock. She had no qualms about going to the press and putting her personal life on display even if it wasn't the truth. These are not signs of introverted people as she clearly has no trouble being the center of attention or making herself the center of attention.

Yeah I know what you mean. I just think it's hard to put introverts and extroverts into neat little boxes like that. I know some introverts who are not attention-averse and will hoot and holler at times, and vice-versa with some extroverts. How they'll behave depends more on their circumstances and surroundings. And some people are closer to the middle of the spectrum. Again I'm not saying you're wrong though; if we're generalizing then she probably does tick more boxes with extroversion than introversion. I just didn't feel like I saw enough of her to make that assumption.

• Like 1

I wasn't trying to put anyone in box. There is no personality description that will apply 100% of the time in every circumstance, but as a personality description, extrovert seems far more apt for Janine given what we saw of her. There's more evidence of her being an extrovert than wanting to be a beekeeper with Sherlock.

Did anyone say they thought she wanted to be a beekeeper, though? :/

No. Was more a reflection of the deleted lines from the hospital scene combined with the idea of her being his companion in his retirement years while beekeeping.

That doesn't mean she'd have anything to do with the beekeeping.  Maybe she bought that particular cottage because it's right near a nice little village with the liveliest pub imaginable.  So she socializes and Sherlock bee-keeps, and then they have dinner together (literally or otherwise).

Or maybe she loves to garden (and Sherlock's bees are very fond of her flowers).  ;)

• Like 2

Janine specifically said she was getting rid of the bee hives, so she has no interest in beekeeping.  It's the deleted lines where Sherlock tells her to keep them, and that strikes me as a way to maintain a connection.  So she doesn't really have to have that in common with Sherlock.  

Or maybe she loves to garden (and Sherlock's bees are very fond of her flowers).   ;)

Oh, Carol.  ;)  Now we're back into the territory of my fantasies!

• Like 3