Convict13

Mark Gatiss News

Being the same age range as the writers gives me at least a little hope it still will happen in my lifetime.

Perhaps we will get an S5 of Sherlock that picks up with Holmes and Watson in their retirement years.  The careers of our two leads may have cooled off sufficiently by then to allow them the time.  Sherlock retired to the Downs and his bees in 1904, when he was 50 years old.  Benedict is presently 41, so we will have to keep our hope alive until at least 2027.  Holmes and Watson were 60 and 62 respectively when the Great War broke out in 1914, and the Doctor rejoined the Royal Army Medical Corps.  So it might be closer to 2037, provided Moffat doesn't kick in the interim.

If I remember correctly my ACD, that is in the short story "His las bow", isn't it? The sentence "There's an East Wind coming", refering to the beginning of the Great War, must be somewhere in the last paragraphs of this text.

I'm finally rather happy to have seen all the episodes of the series, so to say, one after the other. I miss them so much, can't imagine how it would have been to wait some two years between each season...moreover with cliffhangers! Here after the end of S4, there is a proper end, and I don't really believe in other eps...But, wait and see...the old years you refer to, Hikari,are also very interesting for our writers...

Being the same age range as the writers gives me at least a little hope it still will happen in my lifetime.

Perhaps we will get an S5 of Sherlock that picks up with Holmes and Watson in their retirement years.  The careers of our two leads may have cooled off sufficiently by then to allow them the time.  Sherlock retired to the Downs and his bees in 1904, when he was 50 years old.  Benedict is presently 41, so we will have to keep our hope alive until at least 2027.  Holmes and Watson were 60 and 62 respectively when the Great War broke out in 1914, and the Doctor rejoined the Royal Army Medical Corps.  So it might be closer to 2037, provided Moffat doesn't kick in the interim.

If I remember correctly my ACD, that is in the short story "His las bow", isn't it? The sentence "There's an East Wind coming", refering to the beginning of the Great War, must be somewhere in the last paragraphs of this text.

Yes, you are correct.  'The East Wind' is referenced in 'His Last Bow'.

ACD meant the Great War . . with tensions in the Middle East at an all-time high, terror alerts on high and what have you, that line would still be applicable to a 21st century potential war.  Bit quizzical to me what Mofftiss ultimately chose to do with it--create a psychotic homicidal maniac little sister for Sherlock and make her the East Wind . . literally.  'Eurus'.  Perhaps multiple-episode director Euros Lyn gave them the idea for this?

I can't realty talk about Eurus--that whole plotline makes me sick. 

• Like 2

Yes, Euros Lyn may have given Moftiss an idea. But the way "East Wind" is turned into a real character is just amazing (yeah, I love TFP and Euros very much, in spite of clumsy things in it). However, you know that  in my opinion, there is a historical-geopolitical meaning in Moftiss's Euros, as there was in ACD's "East Wind". That may not be the main point in the story, but when I see her, I can't help thinking about preachers of hate and indoctrinated people of our time (but also in other periods in history). When she burns Musgrave, I'm always taken by the scene, the ashes around Mycroft who closes his eyes, and I think of all the book burnings that fanatics all around the world used to make, and still make nowadays... 

• Like 1

I actually didn't see anything that meaningful in the sentence. I thought John means returning Sherlock and his "Fire and Fury" that would fall on anyone who was threatening England this time. And to be honest, I a little bit… disappointed. (said in Anderson's voice)

That's what I thought too, JP, but ... it's possible the Moftisses were also making some sort of ... not political, but maybe a social statement? Didn't one of them (Gatiss, I think) say something to that effect? Something about needing to write the story a little different because of the times we were in? Agghh, I can't remember. But I remember thinking what they were referring to was Sherlock embracing Eurus at the end. Comforting her, instead of destroying or rejecting her. And I agree (if that's what was meant) that we could use some more of that right now.

• Like 2

I actually didn't see anything that meaningful in the sentence. I thought John means returning Sherlock and his "Fire and Fury" that would fall on anyone who was threatening England this time. And to be honest, I a little bit… disappointed. (said in Anderson's voice)

John uses the sentence, indeed, bacause Sherlock just comes back from what was supposed to be a trip in Eastern Europe, and because our dear detective has just explained before that Mycroft told him stories involving "East Wind" in his childhood (and in this time, it refered to Euros, I think it was one of the words Mycroft needed to "monitor" Sherlock). I'd say John's words here are meant to put us on a wrong trail...

About my theory, I admit that it is a quite personal way of reading the episode, the sentence and Euros's character. I would give much to know if it matches with Moftiss's intentions when they wrote the screenplay...

• Like 1

First time I'm hearing of it too.

He's quite private about his film roles (sadly!). The same was with Denial, he only posted a short Tweet from Auschwitz, but without any comment on the reason of his trip.

I believe that's exactly what they had in mind, yes. :p

The topic of the book looks quite interesting. I had never heard of it, but this new series may be an opportunity to get me in the universe of fantasy (saying I'm not familiar with it is an understatement...).

Excellent portrait. I didn’t know that Mark Gatiss could draw?

45 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Excellent portrait. I didn’t know that Mark Gatiss could draw?

Nor did I.  But I guess it doesn't surprise me.  These creative types are multifaceted.  I bet Mark plays in a band, too.  Maybe he sings.  Look at Hugh Laurie . . he's a one-man band.

You are also very talented with the artistic media, btw.

*What* is that on MG's Twitter icon?  I must take a closer look.

Update:  Oh my God.  I cannot unsee that now.  My eyes!  My eyes!  Don't know if he's trying to channel Marilyn Monroe's famous cheesecake calendar, but he does not have the endowments for it.  The pose also looks vaguely like Christ on the cross--in rosepetals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mark's avatar it from his latest photo shoot made around the new TLOG. And it's the remake of the quite famous poster of American Beauty. And I've warned you about it some time ago :P

I also saw another of Mark's sketches, must find it. In the meanwhile…

• Like 1

American Beauty!!  Aha, yes.

MG is posing for the sequel film: "English Not-So-Beauty".

I like Mark's looks just fine.  As a man, though. 

I am not a follower of TLOG, then or now, so I'm afraid it's all completely mystifying to me.  I guess if he really wants to do . . .*this* instead of more Mycroft Holmes (Mark has a niche as tormented clerical types on BBC crime shows as well) . .I can only say, "Well, mate, it's your career!"

Well, actually *this* made him a star in UK, long before Sherlock.

As for liking it - I can't believe it, but I did fall into that rabbit hole too.

BTW, I noticed that the new forum ate my American Mark warning and spoiler boxes.

Aaaand - here is the other sketch. On paper - not on the stage.

• Like 4

A man of great culture, proud of the British artists, writers... but without any "flag waving" attitude... and it looks like he loves sharing this culture...we really, REALLY need someone like him here in France...

• Like 1

Oh so good to see a man trying to deal with tight skirts and heels! Should be compulsory for all of you guys!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually Mark has pretty nice gams.  He looks better in that outfit than I would.

How depressed am I right now?  :)

• Haha 3

Just watched TLOG Apocalypse and it was beeping delicious most of the time and disgusting at moments. The film's main plot is my very favorite theme, and they even used some ideas I did, writing a story years ago. And I found another of BBC's Props That Last Forever (first is from the Pilot, the second from the Apocalypse

2vmx7uo.jpg

mcr7dd.jpg

• Haha 1

Unbelievable. I can think of a million questions to ask about Sherlock, and they can't even come up with one? Aghhhh!