I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I felt we needed (Well I needed :P) a Shakespeare thread.

I LOVE Shakespeare. My favourite Tradegy is Richard III (I had the honour of playing Lady Anne, Richards 1st wife, at school). My favourite comedy is a toss up between A Midsummer Nights Dream and As You Like It.

I can't even begin to choose a favourite Sonnet! It changes frequently.

Some of my favourite Shakespeare quotes...

"Now is the winter of our discontent" - Richard III

"A horse! A Horse! My kingdom for a horse!" - Richard III

"All the worlds a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances and one man in his time plays many parts" - As You Like It

"Lord, what fools these mortals be" - A Midsummer Nights Dream

"Shall I compare thee to a summers day?" - Sonnet 18

"The course of true love never did run smooth" - A Midsummer Nights Dream

"This above all, to thine own self be true" - Hamlet

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" - Romeo & Juliet

"The better part of valour is discretion" - Henry IV Part I

"If music be the food of love, play on" Twelfth Night

"Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them" - Twelfth Night

That's all I can remember for now haha!

Anyone else a Shakespeare fan? I can be a ye olde fangirl when I want to be :P

I wouldn't call me a fan, but I appreciate some of his works. Generally, I'm not so much into "classics" but favour reading modern books in my spare time. However, as part of my studies, I read Hamelt and A Midsummer Night's Dream and liked both of them - especially Hamlet, though. When I started, I was quite annoyed because I was on holiday in Norway and had to read it, and it meant an intrusion of work into my holidays. But I soon realised that it was a great story and beautifully written, and I came to really enjoy it. I wouldn't grab another Shakespeare play to read, though, because as I said I generally prefer modern books of another genre. But I own a great collection of Shakespearean sonnets and I really really like those. Even at school, I was one of the few who liked sonnet interpretations in our English classes. At university, I once did a fun project on Sonnet 18: A group of students including me did a brick movie version of it for a literature seminar. That's one of my favourite memories about literature classes at uni because it was pure joy to think through this gorgeous poem and find a way to visualise all the images.

What is a brick movie?

I'm afraid the only Shakespeare I read was in junior high and high school, college was all contemporary stuff. But I remember I liked Hamlet and Othello, not so much Merchant of Venice. But in general I like hearing Shakespeare more than reading it.

A brick movie is one made with lego bricks: you take loads of pictures of a set built with lego bricks and move everything like 1mm for each picture. And when you do kind of a very fast slide show of these photos you get a flip-book effect with the lego figures moving. I just found this example on youtube.

• Like 1

I was hoping it would be something like that, that's brilliant! Now I want to make one.

Stop motion animation can be fun.  I have seen a music video that used a Lite Brite & stop motion.

I haven't read Shakespeare since High School.  Read Romeo & Juliet in 9th grade as our introduction to the older language.  We would read a set of lines then stop and discuss it.  In 10th grade, we did Julius Caesar, also out loud but without the discussion.  I explained that play to a friend of mine in my class.  The concept clicked with her after the test we had to take.  I have seen movie versions of both of those as well as Hamlet.  I wouldn't mind seeing a stage version of any of Shakespeare's plays or movie versions of the rest.

• Like 1

Stop motion animation can be fun.  I have seen a music video that used a Lite Brite & stop motion.

I haven't read Shakespeare since High School.  Read Romeo & Juliet in 9th grade as our introduction to the older language.  We would read a set of lines then stop and discuss it.  In 10th grade, we did Julius Caesar, also out loud but without the discussion.  I explained that play to a friend of mine in my class.  The concept clicked with her after the test we had to take.  I have seen movie versions of both of those as well as Hamlet.  I wouldn't mind seeing a stage version of any of Shakespeare's plays or movie versions of the rest.

Stage productions are unmatched! I like going to the Globe of an evening, but I'm lucky enough to live near it haha! As You Like It at the Globe was amazing, but they best production of Richard III I've seen (and I've seen 5 so far) was the one with Martin Freeman in it. I'm sorry but it was!

• Like 1

I like Hamlet. I can't say why, exactly, but it just grabs me. And this is totally unoriginal, but I think my favorite quote is the whole "to be or not to be" soliloquy.

I've never seen it on stage, unfortunately. But I have repeatedly watched the Kenneth Branagh film version, all four plus hours.

For some reason, I get very annoyed at elaborate Shakespeare stage productions with lots of sparkle and crash and bang and provocative images and so on. I always think, don't they trust the text? I'd be perfectly contented if the actors didn't do much more than just recite the lines, actually.

I'm hoping that National Theatre is able to film Benedict's Hamlet next year so I can see it at the cinema after that.

For some reason, I get very annoyed at elaborate Shakespeare stage productions with lots of sparkle and crash and bang and provocative images and so on. I always think, don't they trust the text? I'd be perfectly contented if the actors didn't do much more than just recite the lines, actually.

There's a Shakespeare Theater a few hours from here, it's an "authentic reproduction" of the Blackfriar's Playhouse -- I've been lucky enough to attend a few productions there. Everything's simple, few props, one set, simple costumes, professional actors and the audience is practically perched on the stage ... It's just the best thing ever. And the funny thing is, it feels so fresh after seeing the type of productions you're talking about!