"BBC Sherlock" articles & other miscellany

sfmpco

Hmm. From a purely editorial point of view, I didn't find that article to be journalistic at all ... it read like a high school essay. It stated a thesis, supplied references, and stopped when it reached the approved word count. It didn't even have a summary paragraph.

I've always taken "our" version of Sherlock to be basically a fantasy show, with a large dollop of humor -- it may make commentary on the human condition, but it's not meant to be taken as realistic. (I hope! :smile: ) And Ben infuses Sherlock with a warmth and vulnerability that is completely at odds with the character's outward behavior, which was a brilliant move. Also, as Tobe pointed out, "our" Sherlock could learn and grow (unlike the other male ego named in the article.) So, no, I don't find him particularly toxic.

I've never seen Elementary either so can't speak to that. I tried to watch it a few times and it just didn't engage me at all.

^ I saw your icon and was wondering why I couldn’t remember posting in this thread, lol.

• Haha 1

I watched Elementary for the first season or two, and didn't find Miller's Sherlock at all off-putting.  He is a bit of a fussbudget, but that's hardly stereotypical toxic male behavior, is it?

I like Jonny and I like Elementary...I just don't really consider it to be real Sherlock Holmes!

• Like 2

Sherlock, an example of toxic masculinity???? Really not!!

Sherlock BBC is the 2nd best international show of the last decade??!! I totally agree with that!!! Hmmm... all right, actually, no!! Sherlock is THE best international show of the last decadeS!

I take it you've never seen Babylon 5. :wink: And welcome back, Jen! :wave: