Irene Adler plothole?! and hello ;)

MrsMiggins

Since you put up with me here, when I dug out old problems from Season 2, may I invite you over to the thread about I-O-U in Rumors and Speculations? I think the thread starter was spot on with his explanation. He just did't have all the info he needed at the time. I wrote a lengthy comment and would like to hear your opinions.

• Like 2

I assume that solving the boomerang case was Sherlock's drug vision while he was taken home - that's why the bed shows in the picture in such a weird way. He is so impressed by Irene, that his subconscious allows her mental representation in S's mind to solve the riddle.

When she's talking about returning the coat - it is what S actually see. She has woken him up, but he is still dizzy, so he cannot be sure if it was a dream or reality.

As for the Karachi scene - there ar some scenes as odd and dubious as this one. The midget on the roof. The Arab that attacks him in his flat, the harpooned pig. I tend to forget them because they don't matter.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, have read the older discussions, and for now I agree with the hoax version (that Sherlock staged the beheading to fool Mycroft) This would explain why Sherlock was smiling at the memory. And Irene is definitely alive. She sent him a rose to the hospital (the scene with CAM, which was cut), and Jim in the padded cell says that she would cry if Sherlock died. 

• Like 2

Oh, I hadn't thought that Sherlock staged the beheading! Hm, interesting idea. In some ways that makes more sense than him charging to her rescue. Plus I'm always happy any time S. puts something over on Mycroft. :D

Yep, however it happened, I'm sure she's alive and Sherlock had something to do with it. The smug git. :D

• Like 1

Okay, have read the older discussions, and for now I agree with the hoax version (that Sherlock staged the beheading to fool Mycroft) This would explain why Sherlock was smiling at the memory. And Irene is definitely alive. She sent him a rose to the hospital (the scene with CAM, which was cut), and Jim in the padded cell says that she would cry if Sherlock died. 

Oh, I hadn't thought that Sherlock staged the beheading! Hm, interesting idea. In some ways that makes more sense than him charging to her rescue. Plus I'm always happy any time S. puts something over on Mycroft. :D

I hadn't thought of that either.  I know we had talked about maybe it was just Sherlock's daydream, but I don't recall anyone suggesting that he had staged the "execution."  So congratulations, J.P., it looks like you have come up with yet another theory!

Hmm, playing with that -- as you say, if he staged it in order to fool Mycroft, he would presumably not have included the part where he rescues her.  In fact, he wouldn't have needed to rescue her.

But either it was some kind of a fake or he actually did rescue her -- if she really had been beheaded, he would not have smiled at the memory.  I guess I'm still leaning toward he actually rescued her, but the terrorists had sent Mycroft only the first part of the video, so he really does believe what he told John, even though the truth bears more resemblance to his cover story.

• Like 1

OK, sorry, I musta missed it somehow.  But you do seem to understand it better than I do.  Is the video that we see supposed to be something that was sent to Mycroft, or am I missing the point?

Is the video that we see supposed to be something that was sent to Mycroft, or am I missing the point?

Not necessarily sent to Mycroft, but just being somewhere in the net, or news. One had only to ensure he would get the information.

Hmm, playing with that -- as you say, if he staged it in order to fool Mycroft, he would presumably not have included the part where he rescues her.  In fact, he wouldn't have needed to rescue her.

Bugger. Bad deduction. Bye bye, idea... bye.gif

It's still an interesting idea -- but it's not sufficient to explain the video that we see.  Just needs a bit more backstory!  :D

• 2 years later...

Alone against a bunch of armed baddies - with this ridiculous pirate saber... That's a tad too big to swallow without choking.

I still sort of cling to my head-canon that the Karachi scene isn't real, but just a day-dream of Sherlock's. I mean, it is such a male fantasy. I know it's supposed to be real, because the showrunners said so, but as long as they don't provide any real evidence for that in the story, I can continue to believe it is not, and thus enjoy the episode whole-heartedly.

Well, it's 2017. I guess we have our evidence now. :smile:

• Like 1

Well, if he's not sending those messages to himself, he somehow rescued her. But not necessarily the way it was shown… :P

True. That really did look like a hero fantasy.

• Like 1

I actually do believe the rescue story as shown, at least the intent of it.  I'm sure that Sherlock, like most of us, put the best possible spin on his memory of the events, especially since he's so besotted with Irene.  But I do believe he rescued her more or less from her certain death in Karachi.  Whether or not he used a scimitar (is that what it was?) is beside the point.  

• Like 1

Alone against a bunch of armed baddies - with this ridiculous pirate saber... That's a tad too big to swallow without choking.

I still sort of cling to my head-canon that the Karachi scene isn't real, but just a day-dream of Sherlock's. I mean, it is such a male fantasy. I know it's supposed to be real, because the showrunners said so, but as long as they don't provide any real evidence for that in the story, I can continue to believe it is not, and thus enjoy the episode whole-heartedly.

Well, it's 2017. I guess we have our evidence now. :smile:

Sorry, I'm not following you.  All I can think of is, the last ACD copyrights expire this year, and I doubt that's the evidence you're talking about.

I just mentioned the date because the last post was 2 years earlier, I wanted future readers to notice the time jump. What I meant is, the end of TLD confirms Irene is alive, it wasn't just Sherlock's fantasy.

• Like 1

I actually do believe the rescue story as shown, at least the intent of it.  I'm sure that Sherlock, like most of us, put the best possible spin on his memory of the events, especially since he's so besotted with Irene.  But I do believe he rescued her more or less from her certain death in Karachi.  Whether or not he used a scimitar (is that what it was?) is beside the point.  

As we know now, he's very good at re-writing memories :P

• Like 1