Amanda Abbington press

sfmpco

That's so sad -- you must have really missed them.  :(  As you say, though, most people didn't take pets so seriously back then.

As I see it nowadays, a pet is depending on you.  So if you can't commit to care for a cat or a dog for the rest of its life, then you shouldn't have one in the first place.  An older couple that we know had a cat, but it died recently.  So now they're looking to adopt an older cat, one that isn't likely to outlive them.  I think that's very responsible of them, and pretty sweet as well.

• Like 4

As I see it nowadays, a pet is depending on you.  So if you can't commit to care for a cat or a dog for the rest of its life, then you shouldn't have one in the first place.  An older couple that we know had a cat, but it died recently.  So now they're looking to adopt an older cat, one that isn't likely to outlive them.  I think that's very responsible of them, and pretty sweet as well.

That is so nice of them, and very unselfish.  :wub:

Most pet treats us as center of universe and loves us unconditionally.

n1pe04.jpg

Picture taken on latest Adoption Drive that I attended. It's sad to see those hopeful faces.

• Like 3

I couldn't resist this photo Sherlockology posted of Ms. Abbington with Arthur, one of her three dogs:

tumblr_nz1cy4cSJi1qkgkowo1_500.png

Have you seen Dogs Trust’s ‘A Dog Is For Life’ ‪#‎ADIFL‬ Christmas campaign this year with Sherlock’s very own Amanda Abbington lending her support?

Find out more here: https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/whats-happening/latest-appeal/

And of course we just wanted an extra excuse to post these beautiful portraits by Gerrard Gethings of Martin and Amanda‘s dog, Arthur!

“Arthur has a tendency to walk into things. He is a very clumsy dog. And quite miserable. But that’s part of his charm. I like to think of him as the canine equivalent of Oliver Hardy. I have three dogs and wouldn’t be without any of them. I adore them.” - Amanda Abbington

• Like 2

That really is a beautiful dog. He looks a lot like ... Redbeard!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that Ms. Abbington's current show Cuffs has not been renewed.  Hopefully the existing 8 episodes will be available on DVD.

• 4 weeks later...

The book I most relate to is How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran.  Love her, love her writing, love what she stands for.

Does she mean the same Caitlin Moran who ambushed her hubby and his co-star into reading a Johnlock slash story?  Aloud?  In front of an audience?

Along with the video, that site had a well-thought-out editorial, pointing out that it wasn't only Cumberbatch and Freeman who were put on the spot by the aptly-named Moran -- it was also the author of that fan story, whose work was held up to public ridicule.

Not saying that Moran has to like the story -- but when a story isn't my cup of tea, while I might explain why I don't care for it, I certainly wouldn't make fun of it, especially in public.

Apparently it is one and the same Caitlan Moran.

I have to admit -- I think some people have been a little too hard on her. I saw a video of the moment in question and Ben & Martin didn't come across as being nearly as weirded out as some people have described; there wasn't a lot of pressure from her to continue; but there was a lot of laughter all around, especially from the fans in the audience. I didn't get the impression at all she was trying to embarrass anyone, she just thought it would be fun for the fans, and when it backfired, they moved on.

This may get me in trouble, but my perception is that some of the "Johnlockers" -- by no means all -- simply take their "ship" a little too seriously, as fans of things are wont to do. In fact, I just read this quote: "Johnlock is no joking matter to Sherlock fandom." Well, I beg to differ; it's a huge joke to me, and I'm part of the fandom. And Moftiss have several times said it's a huge joke to them too, so ..... I don't know. Just lighten up, people! Besides, Caitlan Moran has been a huge supporter of the show right from the start as far as I can tell, I'm thinking she should get a little leeway for that.

And I didn't mean to defend her at such length either; for all I know she's a really horrible person and deserves every arrow that's been slung her way. :blink: So on to another topic; is it just me, or does it seem as if there's been a bit of publicity effort lately to show everyone how likeable Amanda Abbington is? I'm thinking this is their way of trying to counteract the anti-Mary sentiment ... "oh look, the actress is absolutely charming, so how can you hate her character?" If that's what they're trying to do ... good luck with that! :P But I agree that the actress is quite charming.

... is it just me, or does it seem as if there's been a bit of publicity effort lately to show everyone how likeable Amanda Abbington is? I'm thinking this is their way of trying to counteract the anti-Mary sentiment ... "oh look, the actress is absolutely charming, so how can you hate her character?"

If this were the case, I would find it deeply irrational. Also unfair, somehow - does Andrew Scott need an image campaign to demonstrate he is not in fact a dangerous madman, or does Lars Mikkelsen need to prove how in real life, he doesn't actually lick perfume off unwilling women's faces?

I do not understand how people can confuse actors with characters they play. I see why Mary isn't popular and I can't quite warm to her myself, but why would that influence my attitude towards Amanda Abbington? She just plays Mary, and does a bloody good job of it, too. And vice versa, of course - I am not going to like Mary any better just because I saw a nice photo of her or a charming interview.

Neither do I understand the tendency some fans display towards expecting the relationship between any two actors to be similar to the one their characters have (or these fans think they have, or should have).

It reminds me of the time I took part in a play in high school. I had a few scenes together with a boy I personally detested, and who returned the favor tenfold. Our roles however were that of an elderly madwoman (me) who takes kindly to a good young man in trouble (him) and tries to help him out. He in turn later impersonates her lost lover so that she can talk to him once more and find closure for herself in that relationship. I had to hold his head in my lap. I had to hold both his hands for almost an entire scene. And there was other fairly intimate stuff as well. Now, I would not have touched this boy with a ten-foot pole usually and he wouldn't have come near me either, but as soon as we were on stage, I didn't see him any more at all, I saw only his character, and I wasn't me, I was my character, and our characters interacted just as they were supposed to with no trouble at all. We never spoke to each other in anything resembling a friendly way in real life during or after the play and the way we felt about each other did not change. Nobody seemed to expect anything else either, there were no rumors that we were in love or anything. I used to think the kids I went to school with were pretty dumb, but it turns out they were actually smarter than television audiences all over the world...

• Like 2

I have to admit -- I think some people have been a little too hard on her. I saw a video of the moment in question and Ben & Martin didn't come across as being nearly as weirded out as some people have described; there wasn't a lot of pressure from her to continue; but there was a lot of laughter all around, especially from the fans in the audience. I didn't get the impression at all she was trying to embarrass anyone, she just thought it would be fun for the fans, and when it backfired, they moved on.

This may get me in trouble, but my perception is that some of the "Johnlockers" -- by no means all -- simply take their "ship" a little too seriously....

While I cannot argue with many of your individual points, I still think that -- overall -- what Ms. Moran did was inconsiderate at best.

If the actors didn't seem all that perturbed, maybe it's because they weren't all that perturbed -- or maybe it's because they were trying to be good sports.  After all, they're both excellent actors -- how can we possibly know how they actually felt at the time?

Also, even if the author of the story Moran happened to choose may "take her ship too seriously," that's no reason to ridicule her work in a very public way.  If Moran wants to ridicule the Johnloc genre, she should have written her own damn parody for them to read.  If she's half as good a writer as Amanda Abbington says, it should have been a piece of cake for her to turn out something so campily over the top that even the Johnlockers would find it amusing, and the actors would not be embarrassed in the slightest.

• Like 1

... is it just me, or does it seem as if there's been a bit of publicity effort lately to show everyone how likeable Amanda Abbington is? I'm thinking this is their way of trying to counteract the anti-Mary sentiment ... "oh look, the actress is absolutely charming, so how can you hate her character?"

If this were the case, I would find it deeply irrational. Also unfair, somehow - does Andrew Scott need an image campaign to demonstrate he is not in fact a dangerous madman, or does Lars Mikkelsen need to prove how in real life, he doesn't actually lick perfume off unwilling women's faces?

I do not understand how people can confuse actors with characters they play. I see why Mary isn't popular and I can't quite warm to her myself, but why would that influence my attitude towards Amanda Abbington? She just plays Mary, and does a bloody good job of it, too. And vice versa, of course - I am not going to like Mary any better just because I saw a nice photo of her or a charming interview.

Neither do I understand the tendency some fans display towards expecting the relationship between any two actors to be similar to the one their characters have (or these fans think they have, or should have)......

I would say the difference is, neither Moriarty nor CAM ever threatened the "inevitability" of Johnlock, while Mary does. (Although I get the impression some people would be just as happy if Sherlock were paired off with Jim instead of John. :blink:) But yeah, why some people can't separate actors from their roles is a bit of a mystery ... and has been, for a long time. Remember in Singing in the Rain when the two stars had to pretend to be lovers in real life, because they were always lovers on screen? Whatever the phenomenon is, at least it's not unique to Sherlock fans. (We're really not crazier than anyone else ... just as crazy! :D )

This may get me in trouble, but my perception is that some of the "Johnlockers" -- by no means all -- simply take their "ship" a little too seriously....

While I cannot argue with many of your individual points, I still think that -- overall -- what Ms. Moran did was inconsiderate at best.

If the actors didn't seem all that perturbed, maybe it's because they weren't all that perturbed -- or maybe it's because they were trying to be good sports. After all, they're both excellent actors -- how can we possibly know how they actually felt at the time?

Also, even if the author of the story Moran happened to choose may "take her ship too seriously," that's no reason to ridicule her work in a very public way. If Moran wants to ridicule the Johnloc genre, she should have written her own damn parody for them to read. If she's half as good a writer as Amanda Abbington says, it should have been a piece of cake for her to turn out something so campily over the top that even the Johnlockers would find it amusing, and the actors would not be embarrassed in the slightest.

Well, what I forgot to say was, nothing about what I saw suggested to me that Moran (that name! :D ) meant to ridicule anyone or anything. She's a fan, she knew other fans liked the genre, she thought if would be fun to bring their "ship" to life, so to speak ... that was the impression I got. But of course I have absolutely no way of knowing what her true intent was. I'm just saying my perception of the incident was that it was pretty benign, and so far I haven't seen anything that makes me think those who castigated her have any more knowledge than I do. But maybe they do.

I take it that was a response to T.o.b.y rather than to me!  ;)  (We've gotta stop cross-posing like this!)

Yes it was! Shall we start designating times when we can be on here so we can't cross post so often? :P

Or I can just keep going back and editing my posts..... ;)

Well, what I forgot to say was, nothing about what I saw suggested to me that Moran (that name! :D ) meant to ridicule anyone or anything. She's a fan, she knew other fans liked the genre, she thought if would be fun to bring their "ship" to life, so to speak ... that was the impression I got. But of course I have absolutely no way of knowing what her true intent was. I'm just saying my perception of the incident was that it was pretty benign, and so far I haven't seen anything that makes me think those who castigated her have any more knowledge than I do. But maybe they do.

I believe some of them were there, which could add some weight to their opinion.

But I must admit that the "bring their ship to life" explanation had not occurred to me (or if it did, that was only because it was Moran's defense, so I interpreted it as a flimsy excuse).  It's possible.  (But I still think she showed truly rotten judgment.)

I can agree on the rotten judgement part, considering how it backfired on her. The perils of not knowing your audience, is my guess.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How'd we miss this? A nice interview with Amanda, including a little of her take on Mary. http://www.vulkanmagazine.com/amanda-abbington-by-joseph-sinclair/

• Like 2

Maybe it took awhile to get here from Vulcan (couldn't resist because of the name of the magazine).

Agreed it was a nice interview.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I just discovered that Ms. Abbington is co-host of a semi-regular radio show.  (And word is that the other co-host is her boyfriend.)

Here's a sample program.

So far all I'm hearing is the "Peanuts" theme. Not that I mind.