Here's the video of Stephen Fry and Sam Claflin reading the nominations for this year's BAFTAs

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Posted almost simultaneously on another thread:

BAFTA Audience Award Winner!!!

https://twitter.com/BAFTA/status/597492634043740162

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
Moved here from another thread
  • Like 2

Dear sfmpco, what amazing news!

Simply wonderful, and I had to twist a few arms in the family and friends' circle to flipping vote for it, because it required actual e-mail accounts! Hope that Messrs Moffat and Gatiss heed this warning bell and stop fooling around about shooting in 2083 or whatever! They had better pull their socks up and plan the fourth series to be as brilliant as the first and second ones, because it seems a LOT of people will turn absolutely monstrous if kept on a never-ending hiatus!

• Like 1

Is this the same audience that voted the S3 episodes as the worst episodes? :D

What?  Who said that?  Let me at 'em!  Let me at 'em!

• Like 1

I should say, pretty much YES! The award was for the series, not for what we got slapped with in S3! I fervently hope they take a long, serious look at that previous vote before they start writing S4, because there are things one can do with the sharp end of Mycroft's umbrella without even leaving a scrap of evidence for either Molly or Anderson's official replacement to find!

• Like 2

What?  Who said that?  Let me at 'em!  Let me at 'em!

There was a poll  ...  I'll try to remember which thread has the link to it. The forum had a bit of a discussion about it, ring a bell?

Oh who cares about polls.  Fluff and nonsense.  S3 was the best so far and S4 is likely to be even better.

• Like 2

Found it ... and I had forgotten that it was also conducted by Radio Times. So yes, it IS the same audience! :D

http://www.sherlockforum.com/forum/topic/2798-radio-times-favorite-sherlock-episode-vote/page-1

• Like 2

One thing Moftiss really should bear in mind is that people who like Sherlock Holmes are likely to be, to a certain extent, traditionalists.  They sucked in that audience with Series 1, and toyed with them a bit in Series 2.  Presumably they then felt free to A] appeal to the unwashed masses and/or B] tickle their own fancies with Series 3.

God knows where they'll go with Series 4, but hopefully they'll help us remember why we fell in love with the show in the first place.  I'll be sure to fasten my seat belt, and pray that I won't need a crash helmet.

• Like 2

Oh who cares about polls. Fluff and nonsense. S3 was the best so far and S4 is likely to be even better.

Dear sfmpco,

We shall have to agree to disagree on this one!

I tend to believe Carol is right, which is why they made the Special.

You only started reading the actual ACD stories about a month and a half ago, I started when I was twelve, practically know bits by heart, can spot the two creators' allusions to the Holmes stories the moment an actor opens their mouth, and I joined this friendly forum to discuss my concerns with fellow-sufferers from the Long Hiatus (to paraphrase Douglas Adams). If S3 were so exceptionally good why do we have a thread to "fix" HLV, since doing an Indiana Jones stunt as Sherlock flipping Holmes is more than a Bit Not Good?

Why did they deem it necessary to go all Victorian (1895 according to Mr Gatiss) if not to test the water? Why did Mr Moffat decide to announce the filming of S4 right around BAFTA award time?

There's no business like show business, as the old musical went, and you should know it better than we laypeople do!

I tend to believe Carol is right, which is why they made the Special.

Actually, I tend to doubt that the Special is intended to "fix" anything other than possibly the (otherwise) three-year hiatus.  It sounded to me like they were struck by a nifty plot idea and just couldn't resist implementing it, regardless of needing to pop back to 1895.

• Like 4

Some of us don't think anything at all needs to be fixed with HLV.  Long haitus?  At least we are getting 4 more episodes (counting the special).  After that?  Who knows.  World politics are fast changing and a major financial crisis is looming, and making more episodes of Sherlock may not be a high priority for anyone.

• Like 2

Dear sfmpco, blame it all on Nixon! He took the Treasury off its obligation to honour US bonds, from there on, every country has printed money on the supply/ demand Adams principle. Keynes and FDR were right back in the 1930s, this is simply another international conflict, with the Dragon factored into the equation! Right back to Mahan, then, almost a hundred years before Pearl Harbor! The current World Trade Centre is located in Shanghai, wonder why, really! But, in the 1930s Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers gave stellar performances, not to mention James Stewart, Cary Grant and Cathrine Hepburne,

David Niven ( an early, Scottish edition of BC) was as glamorous as could be, Bette Davies and Shirley Temple won Oscars for acting, not just looking cute, and ordinary people had lots of fun with Laurel and Hardy. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose! In difficult circumstances, especially, people seek release in light entertainment!

Oh, and I almost forgot Larry and Vivien, Gone With the Wind, Rebecca with Greer Garson, Wuthering Hights and the Korda brothers together with J. Arthur Rank piling on the entertainment on the British side. As for Germany, who can ever forget Hans Albers as Baron Von Muenhauusen and a very young, very alluring Kurt Juergens (ok, he's Austrian) in all the UfA films!

There's no business like showbusiness!

One thing Moftiss really should bear in mind is that people who like Sherlock Holmes are likely to be, to a certain extent, traditionalists.  They sucked in that audience with Series 1, and toyed with them a bit in Series 2.  Presumably they then felt free to A] appeal to the unwashed masses and/or B] tickle their own fancies with Series 3.

God knows where they'll go with Series 4, but hopefully they'll help us remember why we fell in love with the show in the first place.  I'll be sure to fasten my seat belt, and pray that I won't need a crash helmet.

Hmmm, I think I'll have to disagree with that ... since I like Sherlock Holmes as a character in general, but I am not a traditionalist, and it is the departure from tradition in this show that appeals to me, not the adherence to it, if you see what I mean. (Altho to be fair, I could be in a small minority, and therefore not very representative of the average Sherlock fan.)

My gut feeling is that B is the correct answer here ... and I strongly suspect we all fell in love with the show for different reasons, so S4 is probably going to work beautifully for some and be a horror for others. That's just how it goes, I'm afraid; the larger and more diverse the fan base, the harder it becomes to please everyone all the time. :( Personally, I intend to have the crash helmet ready, just in case! (I am one of those people who thinks if I prepare for the worst, somehow that means it will never happen..... :wacko: )

• Like 1

Hmmm, I think I'll have to disagree with that ... :lol2:

Second the motion! I would also like to annexe TGG from S1 as the starting point for S2!

• Like 2

And I'm inclined to regard all 13.5 hours as one gigantic episode ... :D

• Like 3