How I think Moriarty faked his death

Mind TARDIS

Two words: Molly Hooper.

In order to find out how Molly contributed to Moriarty faking his death, we have to know why she would have done it. Molly loved Sherlock, cared for him deeply, even if it could only be a friendship between them. She even helped him fake his death, serving as Sherlock's confidante. So why in the world would she help Moriarty fake his death?

Blackmail. Think back to the time when Moriarty went out with Molly. Now think back even further. Moriarty probably had this all planned out, the whole game. Maybe he didn't really want to kill Sherlock, but instead show him what he could do. However, that's another rant. But Moriarty had probably only went out with Molly to gain information about her to use it against her when it came down to faking his own death. He probably threatened Molly to help him.

Also, Moriarty and Molly's relationship would probably have allowed Moriarty to see how close Molly and Sherlock were as friends. It's obvious to anyone that Sherlock viewed Molly as a friend, especially to Moriarty, who is as if not more observant than Sherlock, though he doesn't show it off. So, if Molly and Sherlock were so close, why wasn't Molly on Moriarty's list of people Sherlock's criminal neighbors were going to kill if they didn't see Sherlock fall in "The Reichenbach Fall?" Because Moriarty needed someone to fake his death records.

And here's another piece of evidence -

2 things that didn't happen in the original Sherlock Holmes stories were Molly and the faking of Moriarty's death. There was no Molly Hooper and Moriarty remained dead. But in Sherlock, that's "obviously" not the "case." ;) It would only makes sense to make the 2 "things that didn't happen in the original Sherlock Holmes stories" relate to each other.

• Like 4

Most interesting theory Mind TARDIS. Quite plausible.

Hm, that would have to be some very serious blackmail in order to get Molly to help Moriarty and keep it all a secret from Sherlock. Unless Sherlock knew, of course.

If this is what happened, then surely Molly would have found a way to let Sherlock know -- without letting Moriarty know that she was telling him, of course.  In which case I would expect this to be revealed in Series 4, if not the Special.

By the way, Mind TARDIS, I've removed the "Spoilers" warning from this thread's title.  "Spoiler" would mean that you had actual inside information of some sort, but your extrapolations are based on officially-released materials.

• Like 1

@Arcadia - I've wondered that myself, though I really hope our Andrew Scott Moriarty is reichen-BACK!

@SherlockedCAMPer - Thank you

@sherlockandjohn - True. Though there may be more to it. Plus, it seems to me that Moriarty was on the roof too quickly? Perhaps, beforehand he'd blackmailed Molly into helping him, too?

@Carol - the spoiler wasn't for the theory - it was for the spoilers from series 3. Like, Moriarty's faked death, or the fact that Sherlock "fell."

• Like 1

@Carol - the spoiler wasn't for the theory - it was for the spoilers from series 3. Like, Moriarty's faked death, or the fact that Sherlock "fell."

Oh, I see.  But Series 3 plot points don't require a spoiler warning any more either.  (If they did, the whole forum would be under a spoiler warning!)

I wouldn't mind more of Andrew Scott.  He's a brilliant actor.  I love how he does Moriarty.  If I remember correctly from what I was told about ACD Canon, Moriarty had a brother also name James so there is always that option and the brother could still be played by Andrew.

• Like 3

It's an interesting idea, Mind Tardis, but for me, he's dead. To me there would have been too many people called in to verify his death.  When dealing with a criminal mastermind, you have to verify the death over and over.

• Like 1

I had this thought (that piggy backs on my previous post on Moriarty having a brother), the 1st Moriarty that shot himself goes by Jim basically throughout the whole of the show up to this point while the 2nd Moriarty goes by James during his run of terror (assuming that Moftiss bring a Moriarty back).  This allows for a supposed fake death of Moriarty and we can have Andrew back up to his brilliance as Moriarty.

• Like 1

Unless there's an identical twin brother, he's dead.

Even if there's an identical twin, he's dead! :lol2: (Sorry, couldn't resist....)

• Like 4

Even if there's an identical twin, he's dead! :lol2: (Sorry, couldn't resist....)

Technically true even though it is still possible to survive a gun shot to the face through the mouth while highly unlikely and not without potential permanent disfiguration (I know someone who did).

I had this thought ... the 1st Moriarty that shot himself goes by Jim basically throughout the whole of the show up to this point while the 2nd Moriarty goes by James during his run of terror (assuming that Moftiss bring a Moriarty back).  This allows for a supposed fake death of Moriarty and we can have Andrew back up to his brilliance as Moriarty.

They could presumably do enough with makeup and prosthetics that Andrew Scott would look like his own non-identical brother.

I've been rooting for something like that quite a while now.

• Like 1

They could presumably do enough with makeup and prosthetics that Andrew Scott would look like his own non-identical brother.

??? :blink: ??? Let me get this straight ... hire Andrew Scott to play a character that doesn't look like him?

I think I've been on this forum too long, that's actually starting to make sense to me....

• Like 6

??? :blink: ??? Let me get this straight ... hire Andrew Scott to play a character that doesn't look like him?

I think I've been on this forum too long, that's actually starting to make sense to me....

We've all been here too long!  But hey, I didn't say the new character would not look at all like Jim, merely that -- while there would be a strong family resemblance -- he would not look exactly like him.  So he would be believable as Jim's brother, without having to be his evil twin.

It's possible that Andrew Scott could even do that without special makeup or prosthetics, by using different facial expressions and mannerisms -- or by being a different character -- depending on his acting style.

• Like 3

It feels a little like forever even though it is less than a year.

Oh, you mean to say that we are going to be treated to Colonel James Moriarity, who takes up the vendetta in memory of his dead brother, like in The Final Problem, so it could be Andrew Scott all over again? That would be OK by me, I like his voice, but how can they make him such a force that he could override the emergency channel safeguards?

What worries me, is that even way back in the commentary to Scandal, Mr Moffat actually said that it was interesting that the two Moriarty brothers had the same first name and added: "But we are on the case." If he could plan that far ahead, then what he did with and to Sherlock in S3 becomes unpardonable!

• Like 1

All will be revealed in about 10 more months...

It feels a little like forever even though it is less than a year.

It'll be snowing again by then!  :cry:   What happened to summer?

• Like 4

Well, I suspect these things are going to be on a less regular basis from now on.

What things are those?