Sherlolly in Series 1

Mind TARDIS

This is some proof that Sherlolly exists. It's no secrert Molly loves Sherlock, but does Sherlock love Molly? This topic answers that question.

A STUDY IN PINK

In the one scene Molly was in, it was obvious that Molly had feelings for Sherlock. She decided to wear lipstick to impress Sherlock, she tried to ask him if he'd like to go out for coffee, even if he misinterpreted the messages. But come on - Sherlock notices everything. True, he can be "spectacularly ignorant," but as I prove in the rant for The Blind Banker, Sherlock is not ignorant of Molly's feelings for him.

Such proof can also be found in this episode. Notice how, as Molly gives Sherlock his coffee, Sherlock points out how Molly removed her lipstick, to which she replies, "It wasn't working for me." Then Sherlock turns away from her as he says, "Really? I thought it was a big improvement. Your mouth looks too...small now." Then he takes a sip of the coffee, smirking. His expression could only be described as, "I know what's up, and I'm gonna give you a hard time about it." This doesn't necessarily prove that Sherlock has feelings for Molly, but he shows awareness to her feelings for him. That's a step.

THE BLIND BANKER

Even less happens between Sherlock and Molly in this episode, the only scene being less than a minute long. In this scene, Sherlock needs to check the bodies of Lucas and Van Coon, but the morgue is closed for the night. So Sherlock confronts Molly in the cafeteria lunch line, asking if she can let him in, which she can't. This is where Sherlock proves his awareness of Molly's feelings once again as he points out the change of Molly's hairstyle. Molly is embarrassed, afraid that he wouldn't like the change, which was most likely another effort to impress the world's only consulting detective, believed by Molly to be a failed attempt. And maybe it was, but either way, Sherlock compliments her new look, and the next thing you see, he's in the morgue.

So you see? Sherlock uses Molly's feelings for his own uses. It's kind of cruel, but hey - it's awareness. It counts.

THE GREAT GAME

In this episode, there still isn't much Molly. Yet, like all scenes where Molly and Sherlock are interacting, a lot happens.

Low and behold, Molly has a boyfriend. A "boyfriend." Those quotation marks mean several things.

1. Moriarty isn't really in love with Molly.

2. Molly might only be going out with Jim to show off to Sherlock, maybe make him jealous? This is completely headcanon. It's a thought, though.

Anyway, what Molly's doing isn't as important as what Sherlock does. As soon as Molly introduces Jim as her boyfriend, Sherlock makes his deduction that Molly's "boyfriend" isn't straight. Why? Not because he was "jealous," (though one can only hope) but because, as he told John later, he was trying to be nice, for it would be best for Molly to "break it off" before she got too attached and had to learn the truth the hard way. Sherlock cares about Molly's heart and won't let her make poor decisions if he can help it, even if his help doesn't seem to be the best. However, if I was in Molly's situation, I'd be thankful that someone told me something so important as not to let me go through heartbreak.

• Like 1

Good observations. Will need to re-watch ASiP for that scene. Never noticed his smirk.

Does the smirk happen before he takes a sip? I couldn't find a gif of pre-coffee sip. He kind of grimaces after sipping the coffee, but I took that to mean the coffee kinda sucks.  lol

GPqkI.gif

I think he's oblivious to Molly until he reads her note at Christmas, actually. He's aware of her interest but it doesn't mean anything to him except as a means to manipulate her. He's neither being kind nor unkind, she simply doesn't matter. Kind of like the way some people treat the scenery.

It's still a mystery to me why he's suddenly willing to humble himself for her, in front of everyone, at the Christmas party. Maybe it was the tears. He strikes me as the type that believes it's bad form to reduce a woman to tears. (Quite rightly, too! :smile: )

• Like 1

It's still a mystery to me why he's suddenly willing to humble himself for her, in front of everyone, at the Christmas party. Maybe it was the tears. He strikes me as the type that believes it's bad form to reduce a woman to tears. (Quite rightly, too! :smile: )

Were there tears?  It always looked to me as if Molly might cry, but I never saw tears.

Were there tears?  It always looked to me as if Molly might cry, but I never saw tears.

Good point, I've never been sure of that either. Welling tears, perhaps, but not spilled ones? (Good on her!)

So, he just at that moment realized her crush was himself? So much for being the most observant man in the world! Although, the "smart" guys often are spectacularly ignorant about some things. :)

Molly is desperately in love with Sherlock...

I've never really seen any evidence of the feelings being mutual.

Sherlock genuinely likes Molly and respects her a great deal.

• Like 1

I'm trying to so hard to find the gif where the moment of realization washes over him when he reads the gift tag.  Breaks my heart.

I would have agreed with you... until I watched TEH.  Love maybe not, at least not yet... but something.

I'm trying to so hard to find the gif where the moment of realization washes over him when he reads the gift tag.  Breaks my heart.

Breaks your heart because of how it affects Molly, you mean? Because it rather warms my heart that he's willing to "lower" himself to apologize to her. One of his best moments, imo. And what preceded it was one of his worst. Grrr.

And then Irene has to go and ruin it with her idiot text noise. I just realized why I will never be able to like her. :lol:

I would have agreed with you... until I watched TEH.  Love maybe not, at least not yet... but something.

Same here. Respect, gratitude, and the willingness to see if something more could develop. Drat that Tom! :D

Breaks your heart because of how it affects Molly, you mean? Because it rather warms my heart that he's willing to "lower" himself to apologize to her. One of his best moments, imo. And what preceded it was one of his worst. Grrr.

And then Irene has to go and ruin it with her idiot text noise. I just realized why I will never be able to like her. :lol:

It breaks my heart for Molly, and it breaks my heart for him too.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see him be aware for once, feel regret, and try to make amends...  but the look on his face... I feel empathy for him because I know how I've felt before when I've realized I've just opened my mouth and inserted my foot and injured someone I care about.  Maybe it's more of a bittersweet gut reaction for me than "breaks my heart?"

• Like 1

Does the smirk happen before he takes a sip? I couldn't find a gif of pre-coffee sip. He kind of grimaces after sipping the coffee, but I took that to mean the coffee kinda sucks. lol

GPqkI.gif

Weird okay... That isn't what I saw. I never saw his face like that...It literally seems different... Though your speculation could apply. I could have made a mistake, replaced the coffee grimace with a smirk in my mind. That happens a lot.

No wait - Sittything I just realized. Yes - smirk BEFORE sip. Just before.

And of course my gif google-fu skills have failed me in this instance.  :(

OK, I made my first rubbish gif trying to find the smirk:

tumblr_njn3qv0iep1u2q2qxo1_r2_400.gif

ETA:  Sorry, keep playing with the settings.  lol

• Like 1

OK, I made my first rubbish gif trying to find the smirk:

tumblr_njn3qv0iep1u2q2qxo1_400.gif

It is a valiant attempt.  

I can't be sure if it's a smirk or just a facial tic, but I LOVE how innocent he looks just before sipping the coffee.... :D

I dunno that I'm seeing a smirk.  Is it that face he makes as he's saying "it's too small now" referring to her mouth?  Also, poor Molly.

That's OK.  It makes it easier to try to decide if it is a smile or not.

Wow, I had never realised Sherlolly was such a thing with some guys...

I always took it that Mark and Steven were just playing with the theme of Molly's unrequited love.

See this is what I loved about the Reichenbach approach and beyond...

Molly has grown so much.

She's mature enough to accept that Sherlock will never return her feelings...yet she still goes beyond the call of duty to help him.

He really respects that.

• Like 1

It's the "I'm giving you a hard time" face. Not necessarily proof of love, just proof of, "I know you like me." I'm almost positive Sherlock is aware of Molly's feelings for him, even if he doesn't return them. He does care for her though, and I think that in series 3, he was starting to like her - and there's wimpy little Tom.

• Like 1