Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Lifting The Ban on Series Four Spoilers.

As it has now been a decent amount of time since the airing of series 4 of Sherlock we feel it is prudent to relax the ban on discussion of series 4 episodes in the general Sherlock discussion areas.

We would ask that members continue to keep within the bounds of topic titles and subjects, in order to make it easier for people to choose which discussions they wish to view.

Photo

The Best Non-BBC [Whatever]

other versions Sherlock Elementary Brett Robert Downey Junior House Russian Sherlock Holmes ACD

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Pawse

Pawse

Detective Superintendent

• 410 posts
  • LocationInside Sherlock's Mind Palace
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

My favorite Non-BBC version is Vasily Livanov and Vitaly Solomin (Russian, 1979), whereupon Watson looks somewhat curious at the bubbling sounds coming from below, before culminating in an explosion.
Jeremy Brett/David Burke/Edward Hardwicke, Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce, Ronald Howard/H Marion Crawford, Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law,
Douglas Wilmer/Peter Cushing/Nigel Stock, Vasily Livanov/Vitaly Solomin, Benedict Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman

#22 Goodnight-Vienna

Goodnight-Vienna

Detective Constable

• 29 posts
  • Twitter @JumpersWellies
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Hounds Of Baskerville
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

My favourite Non-BBC

Sherlock: Gonna have to say Ian McKellen in Mr. Holmes. I liked the take on what an older Sherlock would be like, and I think McKellen pulled it of beautifully. H/T to Brent Spiner. I love Data!

Watson: Ian Hart, The Hound of the Baskervilles. I don't know, I just loved his absolute so-done-with-your-crap attitude towards Holmes. (i guess I like Ian's in Sherlock Holmes adaptions)

Lestrade: Eddie Marsan, Sherlock Holmes. Just Yes! Close second is Sean Pertwee in Elementary, but I'm a sucker for anything Sean Pertwee.

Mycroft: RHYS IFANS!!! Elementary. Brilliantly pulled off, he is the very embodiment of fed up older brother. He is both cunning and smart and yet, isn't that wise. Honestly, I like Ifans even better than Gatiss. 

Irene: Idk, uhhh. Natalie Dormer, Elementary, I guess. I do't really like any incarnation of this character, never really done it for me, but this one at least made it believable that Sherlock could fall for her.

Moriarty: None. All are pale in comparison to Andrew Scott.

221b: House . I love how subtly they dropped it.

I have yet to watch the Sherlock Holmes with David Gareth-Lloyd (Ianto Jones, Torchwood) and Dominic Keating (Lt. Malcolm Reed, Star Trek: ENT) but I love both of them, so my opinion may change. Who knows?

#23 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 15,438 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:42 AM

Watson: Ian Hart, The Hound of the Baskervilles. I don't know, I just loved his absolute so-done-with-your-crap attitude towards Holmes.

Thanks for the tip! I've become a bit of a Watson aficionado (thanks to Martin Freeman's performances), so I've added this TV movie to my Amazon wish list.

Boton's recommendation of Dr. Wilson from House is compelling also.

-- Carol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: other versions, Sherlock, Elementary, Brett, Robert Downey Junior, House, Russian Sherlock Holmes, ACD