Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

John Watson

• Please log in to reply
1284 replies to this topic

#1281 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Consulting Detective

• 4,235 posts
  • LocationWales, UK
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

The woodchuck suggestion? You typed it, so the rest of it can just copy and paste. :D

But I mean they were fans of ACD and Holmes at the beginning, but I take your point, season 4 is fanboys gone wild.

I liked the way they took the original stories and tweaked them, there is only so many times I can watch the same story being retold before I'm dying of boredom, I don't need yet another faithful Hound adaptation for example. But I also don't care about bit characters and those entirely invented. I think that's why I dislike season 3, too much Mary.

• Shadow Dweller likes this

That's clever. Is it clever? Why is it clever?

#1282 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,156 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:20 AM

And I think that's why I'm not as engaged by TBB and Hounds; too much time spent with the bit players,who aren't that interesting, instead of giving us more time with the boys, who are. But I can't really accuse S4 of that, I think, so that's not the reason it bugs me.

I liked Mary and the way she interacted with Sherlock, so that didn't bother me. Still think making her an assassin was stupid, though. But very much a boy thing. That's what I keep circling back to; if I just keep reminding myself that Moftiss are basically little boys, I'm not too surprised by anything they think is cool. :smile:

• Carol the Dabbler and Boton like this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#1283 T.o.b.y

T.o.b.y

Consulting Detective

• 5,528 posts
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:34 AM

Actually I imagine that if John didn't jump to Sherlock and just attempted to punch (and Sherlock didn't let him), Sherlock would be able to duck every single punches and in my evil mind, that would be...hilarious? Sorry. XD

Don't be sorry, it would be hilarious. Evilly so. :P I wanna see it!

For those who don't know, hysteria is syndrome known since probably 13th to early 20th century, mostly 19th, for women. It includes anxiety, difficulty sleeping, heaviness in lower abdomen, fantasizing and others that you could google yourself. The treatment for it is orgasm, yep, and there are some historians who suggested that this led to invention of vibrator because it must be tiring for the doctors?

The things I've learned on this forum...... :rolleyes:

There needs to be a little symbol you can add after a phrase to indicate if it's meant literally or not.

I vote that we say how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood after the phrase.
I vote no.

Though that's not why they do Sherlock, is it? They're just playing in their sandbox and letting us watch. *sigh*

That's the weird thing, they started off as fanboys and then they seem to have egged each other on to the point it's all too far removed from the parts people loved in the first place, ie, Holmes, Watson and cases.

And then you get people like me that don't really mind what direction they go in ... as long as it's a well-done story. That's my problem with S4, two of the episodes ... one in particular ... were not, imo, well told. But then S1 and S2 each had a weak episode, so I'm still stuck liking S3 the best, because I thought all 3 eps were brilliant. Sure, HLV was preposterous, but it punched about every emotional button I possess in just the right way, and that rarely happens. I think the last thing that affected me like that was Fullmetal Alchemist. (If you like having your tears jerked, I can recommend it. :smile:)

It's funny, I thought TFP was the most fan-boyish of the lot; emphasis on boyish. It was like watching my nephew take his Buzz Lightyear toy and act out every possible scenario with it, each one more gloriously gruesome than the one before. But Buzz always triumphed. Naturally. :smile:

Exactly, The Final Problem was such a fanboy fest. I would never have let that script pass if I had been the producer but as a fangirl myself, I found I could appreciate it very much. I just giggled, grinned or outright laughed all the way through. I feel as if The Lying Detective was the serious ending for the series and the last episode more of an epilog à la "now we've gotten all hard stuff sorted out, let's have some real fun before we say goodbye and end on a more lighthearted note".
"All lives end - all hearts are broken" / "The East Wind takes us all in the end"

#1284 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,156 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

"Lighthearted" is not how I would characterize TFP! But I get your point and essentially agree with you ... TFP is where they went "ah, f*ck continuity, let's just fulfill all our boyhood fantasies!"

• Inge l-w likes this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#1285 Boton

Boton

Consulting Detective

• 1,860 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

The fans will sort continuity out - let's give them something to do!

• Arcadia likes this

Read Boton's fanfiction at AO3: http://archiveofouro...on/pseuds/Boton

Boton's Sherlock thoughts: http://221Boton.tumblr.com