Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

(non-BBC-Sherlock) Holmes-related Miscellany

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 J.P.

J.P.

Consulting Detective

• 5,656 posts
  • Twitter @jp30567
  • LocationGermany
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

OMG, it's... the best. Just the best. sad.gif

Where's your heart - there's your treasure.
221C-Sherlock's Cellar - My designs for Sherlock Fans who don't want to be too obvious

#22 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

That was so sweet.  :cry:

Could have done without quite so much of that nice music, but was nevertheless able to understand enough of the dialog to follow the flow of things.

-- Carol

#23 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

I've been "Mom-sitting" lately, and often read some of my late father's assorted books while settling down for the evenings.  I came across the following brief chapter in Alexander Woollcott's essay collection, Long, Long Ago (copyright 1943):

THE BAKER STREET IRREGULARS

To F. Yeats-Brown, the old Bengal Lancer, we are all indebted for some knowledge of how, in April, five-and-thirty years ago, Abdul-Hamid the Damned spent his last night as Caliph of Islam, Lord, as he liked to put it, of Two Continents and Two oceans, he whom Gladstone had dubbed the Great Assassin knew on that night that already the obstreperous Young Turks, twenty thousand strong, were starting toward him from Salonika.  He could only issue a statement breathing his somewhat belated passion for constitutional government and then await another daylight.  This was no easy prospect, for his own unrest infected the entire palace.  The pigeons in the imperial dovecotes, numerous as the Young Turks, were all a-twitter.  The parakeets were on edge.  Even the zebras seemed to know the jig was up.  Though he bathed daily in milk and never forgot to rouge his saffron cheeks, Abdul-Hamid looked all of his sixty-six years.  His concubines, of whom in that house of a thousand divans he had, through the force of tradition, acquired rather more than he any longer remembered what to do with, were themselves having the vapors.  And anyway, if he must somehow while away the time until dawn, he would need a more potent anodyne.  Happily this was provided by the linguists at the press bureau, for in the nick of time there came dawdling into Constantinople from London a recent issue of the Strand Magazine, and they all worked like beavers on a translation from is pages.  I suspect it was the issue distinguished in the minds of collectors by the first publication of the magnificent story called "The Bruce-Partington Plans."  Thus it befell that the Great Assassin spent his last night as Sultan sitting with a shawl pulled over his poor old knees while his Chamberlain deferentially read aloud to him the newest story about Sherlock Holmes.

Wherefore, I think it may well be that his perturbed spirit hovered over a coffeehouse in the Fatuous Forties when, on a gusty night not long before Christmas, there met there and dined together certain raffish fellows having this in common with Abdul the Damned, that they were all brothers in the Baker Street Irregulars.  Topped for the occasion with a plaid hunting cap, your conscientious correspondent repaired to the secret assemblage in one of our town's few surviving hansoms, jogging along, through the best New York could do in the way of a dun-colored fog, with the disquieting notion that he was being followed.  This baseless apprehension was born of a letter from a medico in Kansas City, warning me that my hansom would be trailed through the night by a heavily veiled lady in a four-wheeler.

But if Dr. Clendening failed to arrive, heavily veiled or otherwise, the faithful were out in full force.  Trampling down a negligible opposition, Christopher Morley [presumably this one, rather than the actor] was elected Gasogene and the post of Tantalus went to that strangely literate Harvard man, Earle Wallbridge.  Elmer Davis firmly read aloud what is known, I believe, as "a paper," to the visible edification of Gene Tunney, who was making what I feel sure was his first appearance as an Irregular.  But the dinner turned from a mere befuddled hope into a great occasion at that precise moment when, after a slight commotion in the wings caused by all the waiters trying at once to help him out of his wraprascal, there entered -- vague, abstracted, changeless, and inexpressibly charming -- an enchanting blend of slinking gazelle and Roman Senator, William Gillette, as ever was.  At the sight of this, his most famous model, Frederic Dorr Steele wept softly into his souffle and none of us, I think, remained unmoved.

Dear me suzz, it must have been toward the close of the nineties that the ineluctably gadfly, Charles Frohman, goaded Mr. Gillette into making a play out of Dr. Doyle's already famous stories, which the actor himself had not, up to that time, had a chance to examine.  Therefore, he was obligated to devote all of three weeks to the task of turning them into a play.  This much of that play's history may have accounted for the slightly guilty look with which he listened the other night while Vincent Starrett rose to argue, from indices furnished by the ash of a Trichinopoly cigar and certain allusions in the record of the Gloria Scott case, that, wherever Mycroft Holmes may have gone to school, Sherlock had surely studied at Cambridge rather than at Oxford.  Suspecting me, with unerring justice, of an ignorance as profound as his own in these Baker Street niceties, Mr. Gillette confided to my delighted ear the story of the tramp who, a-prowl in the Louvre, was terrified by the sight of that lovely mutilee, the Venus of Milo, "Let's get out of here," the tramp whispered hoarsely to his companion, "or they'll say we did it."

In addition to Dr. Clendening's, and, of course, that of Abdul the Damned, there was another vacant chair which troubled me.  I could have wished that Mr. Gillette might have brought with him and read aloud to us an unpublished piece of his called "The Painful Predicament of Sherlock Holmes," a one-act sketch which he first played at a benefit here and later put on at the Duke of York's in London as a curtain-raiser for his own "Clarice."  This sketch make much of Billy, the buttons at Mrs. Hudson's, who is best remembered because he had the curtain in the second act of the longer play.  Surely you remember how the minions of Professor Moriarty tried to capture Billy and how, with his uniform torn to shreds, he escaped their dastardly clutches.  Can't you still hear him clattering up the Baker Street stairs and see the toothsome grin with which he assented heartily when Sherlock Holmes, in of his rare expansive moments, announced, as the curtain fell, that he was a good boy?  Casting about him for a cockney boy who might act this part at the Duke of York's, Mr. Gillette settled upon a little, frightened, underfed sixteen-year-old comedian who had been playing the part in a provincial touring company, and who had gone big, they said, in Doncaster.

I kept thinking the other night that it might have been possible to have had him with us.  At least he was in this country at the time.  He has done well here.  His name is Charles Spencer Chaplin.

• Arcadia likes this

-- Carol

#24 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:03 AM

OK, that's the whole thing now, hopefully with no glaring typos.

That one essay is actually a collection of Holmes-related anecdotes with a number of minor interesting points.  Interesting, for example, that Charlie Chaplin apparently did not (as sometimes reported) originate the role of Billy, though he was indeed one of the earliest actors to play that part.

-- Carol

#25 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,269 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

Nice, Carol. Thanks for sharing that.

It's this, or Cluedo.

#26 jesskayding

jesskayding

Consulting Detective

• 1,680 posts
  • Twitter @jesskayding
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

Emma Thompson wants to be the first woman to play Sherlock Holmes?  Well, good luck with that.

https://twitter.com/...018692048580609

Alrighty then. I can't picture that, but I would be willing to see it. If anyone could do it, It would be Emma Thompson or overrated Meryl Streep.

I Misbehave   :evilinside: 

#27 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:00 AM

Hey, Jess -- nice to see you again!

-- Carol

#28 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,269 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:01 AM

Jesskay!!!!!!!

I'm so used to seeing Sherlock as a young man now that my first thought was, "But she's too old!" :rolleyes: But I think she'd be great in the role, I love Emma Thomson.

It's this, or Cluedo.

#29 sfmpco

sfmpco

Consulting Detective

• 4,891 posts
  • Facebook Facebook
  • LocationSan Gabriel, CA

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:51 AM

Some new Holmesian stories - new canon fodder for Mofftiss?  Not likely, but it may have some more credence because it comes from one of the Baker Street Babes.

https://www.amazon.c..._rhf_pe_s_cp_49

People were talking.  None of them me.  I must have filtered.

#30 sfmpco

sfmpco

Consulting Detective

• 4,891 posts
  • Facebook Facebook
  • LocationSan Gabriel, CA

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

Some BBC stuff and some not...

People were talking.  None of them me.  I must have filtered.

#31 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 237 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

Moved here from another thread:

I started this thread because I wanted to post a link to this YouTube recording but I didn’t know where would be the best place. So here we have a thread for posting items of interest (well to me anyway🙂)

This is a recording of William Baring Gould reading out terrible reviews of his excellent book Sherlock Holmes Of Baker Street to an audience. I think it’s really funny.

https://youtu.be/P7nlZSDBsqc

Edited by Carol the Dabbler, 13 November 2017 - 04:19 PM.
It's precisely the sort of thing that belongs in this thread.

• Arcadia likes this
Regards, Herlock
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

#32 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Inspector

• 75 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

I started this thread because I wanted to post a link to this YouTube recording but I didn’t know where would be the best place. So here we have a thread for posting items of interest (well to me anyway🙂)

This is a recording of William Baring Gould reading out terrible reviews of his excellent book Sherlock Holmes Of Baker Street to an audience. I think it’s really funny.

Thanks for the post, Herlock.  I had never heard Mr. Baring-Gould speak.  I think I am very shocked that he was so . . . American!  At least he had more of a sense of humor as evidenced here than his somewhat obsessive hobby would have indicated.  I pictured him as dour Englishman.  Thanks for proving me wrong.

• HerlockSholmes likes this

I am the Stormy Petrel of crime.

#33 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

His grandfather was a (possibly dour) Englishman, the Rev. Mr. Sabine Baring-Gould (who appears in Laurie R. King's Mary Russell novel The Moor), an Anglican clergyman of some note (having written the popular hymn "Onward, Christian Soldiers," among many other works and various pursuits).  I was rather startled to read this on his Wikipedia page:

One grandson, William Stuart Baring-Gould, was a noted Sherlock Holmes scholar who wrote a fictional biography of the great detective—in which, to make up for the lack of information about Holmes's early life, he based his account on the childhood of Sabine Baring-Gould.

This means that the "biography" is a pastiche partly in the sense of an imitative work, but also partly in its other sense, a work made up of bits and pieces of other works -- literally, a "paste job."  Well, at least he didn't borrow Grampa's birthday!

William S. Baring-Gould himself was "creative director of Time magazine's circulation and corporate education departments," so apparently an American, yes.

• HerlockSholmes likes this

-- Carol

#34 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 237 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the post, Herlock. I had never heard Mr. Baring-Gould speak. I think I am very shocked that he was so . . . American! At least he had more of a sense of humor as evidenced here than his somewhat obsessive hobby would have indicated. I pictured him as dour Englishman. Thanks for proving me wrong.

Thanks Hikari,
I’m sure that I’ve heard Baring-Gould speak somewhere else but I can’t remember where? It’s good to hear his sense of humour. It’s also quite interesting to hear so many negative comments about a book that, as far as I’m aware, is so well respected now.
Regards, Herlock
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

#35 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

Discussion of the newly announced Lord of the Rings television series has been moved to the General Tolkien Discussion thread.

P.S.:  It is not necessary to include a quote in each and every post.  If your post isn't a direct response to an earlier post, you can simply type whatever you want to say into the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of the page and then click Post.

-- Carol