Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Series Four Episode Discussion

Blown away by Sherlock series four? can't wait to discuss it? Well we have the place for you!
The discussion thread for "The Six Thatchers" can be found Here
The discussion thread for "The Lying Detective" can be found Here
The discussion thread for "The Final Problem" can be found Here

Photo

Episode 1.2, "The Blind Banker"

Episode Discussions Polls Series 1 Season 1

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

Poll: What Did You Think Of "THe Blind Banker?" (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Add Your Vote Here:

1. 10/10 Excellent. (1 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

2. 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off. (8 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

3. 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again. (26 votes [41.94%])

Percentage of vote: 41.94%

4. 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm. (7 votes [11.29%])

Percentage of vote: 11.29%

5. 6/10 Average. (10 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

6. 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par. (10 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

7. 4/10 Decidedly Below Average. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. 3/10 Pretty Poor. (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 2/10 Bad. (0 votes [0.00%])

10. 1/10 Terrible. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#401 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 11,716 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

Goody, a new question! :bouncy: You're probably right, it's been discussed, but who cares. :smile:

I know what my first reaction to John's remark was ... he didn't want to be looked down on as just a tag-a-long friend, a nobody; he wanted to assert that he was an "equal partner" in Sherlock's business.

However, once I discovered the "Johnlock" theories, I thought maybe it meant John was already tired of people assuming he and Sherlock were a "couple", and said "colleague" to make it clear that they were not romantically linked.

I also seem to remember other people saying it was because John still wasn't sure if he wanted to be a "friend" of that oddball Sherlock, and that's why he corrected it to "colleague." A lot of people interpret Sherlock's expression after John says that as being hurt by John's rejection, so that theory would make the most sense in that case.

It also occurs to me; that's how Sherlock introduced him to Donovan, as a "colleague". So maybe John was just following his lead.

Hey, we're Sherlockians ... no easy answers around here! :D

Oh, and John probably wouldn't have understood by then, that he is undermining Sherlock by correcting him. I don't think they were supposed to know each other that well yet.

• Carol the Dabbler and Van Buren Supernova like this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#402 aphrodite32101

aphrodite32101

Detective Constable

• 27 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:22 AM

Totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#403 T.o.b.y

T.o.b.y

Consulting Detective

• 4,847 posts
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:09 AM

However, once I discovered the "Johnlock" theories, I thought maybe it meant John was already tired of people assuming he and Sherlock were a "couple", and said "colleague" to make it clear that they were not romantically linked.

n, that he is undermining Sherlock by correcting him. I don't think they were supposed to know each other that well yet.

The first time I saw the episode, that's how I understood that scene. John didn't want anybody getting the wrong ideas, especially not Sebastian, who comes across as exactly the kind of person whom you do not want to form an opinion on your private life (i.e. an a-hole).

• Carol the Dabbler and Arcadia like this
"All lives end - all hearts are broken" / "The East Wind takes us all in the end"

#404 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 1,317 posts
  • LocationWales, UK
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

That's really interesting because the idea of John being concerned Sebastian would think they were together hadn't even occurred to me. 

Kind of linked, in relation to how well they know each other, how long do you think they are meant to have been living together at this point? They are already getting overdue bill letters so must be more than a month surely? Not that I imagine Sherlock would be someone you could get to know quickly even if you were living with him. 

#405 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 14,706 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Not sure that had ever occurred to me either.  But yeah, "This is my friend" can definitely have that meaning, especially among people who feel they're too old to keep saying "boyfriend" or "girlfriend."

-- Carol

#406 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 11,716 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

That's really interesting because the idea of John being concerned Sebastian would think they were together hadn't even occurred to me. 

Kind of linked, in relation to how well they know each other, how long do you think they are meant to have been living together at this point? They are already getting overdue bill letters so must be more than a month surely? Not that I imagine Sherlock would be someone you could get to know quickly even if you were living with him.

I've wondered about that as well ... since John doesn't have a job yet, I've always figured it couldn't be too terribly long. Also he's surprised by the kind of fee Sherlock is offered for the work, so that implies to me that they haven't been on that many cases together yet.

But the bills confuse me too. Although come to think of it ... I suppose the bills aren't overdue, necessarily, just ... due. :smile: So at a guess, I'd say they'd been in Baker Street more than a few weeks, but less than a few months. (How's that for being specific! :D )

It's this, or Cluedo.

#407 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

• 1,317 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:21 PM

The bills definitely have overdue stamped on them (just checked it on Netflix, sad I know, lol). I suppose it's possible they are John's from his previous address. 

I agree it doesn't seem like they've worked together much yet, so the more than a few weeks but less that a few months seems about right :)

#408 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 11,716 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:03 PM

Ah ha, good catch. I never notice details like that. :(

It's this, or Cluedo.

#409 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 14,706 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

... since John doesn't have a job yet, I've always figured it couldn't be too terribly long. Also he's surprised by the kind of fee Sherlock is offered for the work, so that implies to me that they haven't been on that many cases together yet.

Not necessarily.  John has his army pension, after all, so maybe he was assuming that (with a roommate) he'd be able to live on just that (but then the bills started piling up).  And Sebastian is a banker, so the fee he offered may well be far higher than Sherlock's usual -- in which case John's surprise would indicate that they'd been on enough cases already to give him an idea of what was typical.

-- Carol

#410 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

• 1,317 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:24 PM

Yes, I get the impression that the fee offered is definitely out of the norm. 

This is off topic but I've always wondered why Sherlock even needs a flatmate. He clearly comes from a well to do family and doesn't seem remotely interested in getting paid for his work which makes me think he doesn't actually need a flatmate for monetary reasons at all. However he also doesn't seem like someone who would want a flatmate just for the company. 

The other thing I wonder about is where he was living before. I saw a theory somewhere that he had just come out of rehab, but I don't know if I believe that. If that were true though perhaps he needs a flatmate as a kind of distraction to try to keep him from the temptation of relapsing...?

• Shadow Dweller and Van Buren Supernova like this

#411 Van Buren Supernova

Van Buren Supernova

Consulting Detective

• 3,091 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

I don't see Sherlock as someone who cares about counting those the financial stuff or being paid, or using family's money. Because of these, he might have difficulty paying for flat by himself. Since he wants to continue not caring for those, flatmate is probably one of the feasible solutions.
Anyway, he doesn't need to put a lot o effort to get along with a flatmate. He would be the alpha, whoever can't stand him can go. After all, he needs a stand-in every time Mrs.Hudson takes his skull. :)
  • Shadow Dweller and AmberĀ§ like this
I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.

#412 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

• 1,317 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

Question - the bloke who works with Soo Lin, can't remember his name, if you were working with him would you find him creepy? I don't see him as creepy in the episode since he is so unassuming, but really his actions are verging on the stalkerish. 

1. When he asks Soo Lin out she says 'please stop asking' leading me to think he's asked her before, and despite being turned down keeps trying. 

2. When she quits, without warning, he looks up her address and turned up uninvited and unannounced on the doorstep of her flat. 

3. When Sherlock and John turn up asking questions he can't wait to talk about Soo Lin, like he's just dying to discuss her with someone. 

I'm sure there was something else I'm forgetting. Anyway, is he meant to be creepy, even though he's not presented as such? Is it just a case of man-writing that they don't realise how creepy it would be for a colleague to look up your address and turn up on your doorstep when you quit?

#413 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 11,716 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

The latter, I suspect. At any rate, I found him rather sweet and not at all creepy ... but it wasn't me he was interested in. I might feel a bit creeped if someone did that to me. It would depend on the guy, probably.

• Carol the Dabbler likes this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#414 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

• 1,317 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:55 AM

At my old job I had a guy following me about, lurking, and if he'd turned up at my doorstep after I left I would have freaked. 

#415 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 14,706 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:02 AM

Andy.

My take is that he's genuinely concerned about her when she disappears, considering that he knows the reason she gave doesn't hold water.  I didn't get the feeling that he'd ever tried to track her before, he just let her know he was interested.  (And for all we know, he's only asked her maybe three times.)  I found him sweet and cute, and I suspect that Soo Lin might have also, under "normal" circumstances.  In fact, maybe she did like him, but knew that she was in danger and didn't want to endanger him by involving him in her life.

• Pamela and kimber8ada like this

-- Carol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Episode Discussions, Polls, Series 1, Season 1