Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Lifting The Ban on Series Four Spoilers.

As it has now been a decent amount of time since the airing of series 4 of Sherlock we feel it is prudent to relax the ban on discussion of series 4 episodes in the general Sherlock discussion areas.

We would ask that members continue to keep within the bounds of topic titles and subjects, in order to make it easier for people to choose which discussions they wish to view.

Photo

Episode 1.2, "The Blind Banker"

Episode Discussions Polls Series 1 Season 1

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

Poll: What Did You Think Of "THe Blind Banker?" (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Add Your Vote Here:

1. 10/10 Excellent. (1 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

2. 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off. (8 votes [12.70%])

Percentage of vote: 12.70%

3. 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again. (26 votes [41.27%])

Percentage of vote: 41.27%

4. 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm. (8 votes [12.70%])

Percentage of vote: 12.70%

5. 6/10 Average. (10 votes [15.87%])

Percentage of vote: 15.87%

6. 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par. (10 votes [15.87%])

Percentage of vote: 15.87%

7. 4/10 Decidedly Below Average. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. 3/10 Pretty Poor. (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 2/10 Bad. (0 votes [0.00%])

10. 1/10 Terrible. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#421 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Consulting Detective

• 2,063 posts
  • LocationWales, UK
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

I suppose whatever John or Sherlock said Seb would use it as a excuse to be smug and try to belittle him. Do you think Sherlock only took that job because John needed money? I would have thought he'd have told Seb to go and screw himself, I wouldn't have helped him, especially if he's not even going to be nice now.
  • Carol the Dabbler likes this

#422 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 12,996 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

I hadn't thought about money being the motivation for Sherlock, but looking back on it, he frequently does things in a roundabout way, doesn't he? I suppose it's possible that he was being considerate enough to not put John on the spot about money.

However, I mostly just assume Sherlock takes jobs because there's something about them he finds interesting. Maybe the fact that it was Seb contacting him was enough in itself to intrigue him ... after all, surely the bank has security people that already looked into it and were baffled.

Or maybe Seb is someone he wanted to show off for, to prove he really was as brilliant as he said he was back in school. Or maybe Sherlock was just honoring old school ties? Some people are remarkably loyal to their alma maters (although it's hard for me to imagine Sherlock being one of those. :smile: )

• Carol the Dabbler and J.P. like this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#423 Artemis

Artemis

Detective Inspector

• 95 posts
  • LocationMind Palace
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

This must have been discussed earlier (I scanned quite a few of the pages, but with over 20 I might have missed it), but I was wondering what people's opinions were on John correcting Sherlock referring to him a friend by saying he's a colleague. Even if this is fairly early in their relationship it seems a bit harsh, especially when Sherlock seems to be saying friend almost defiantly, as if to point out to Sebastian that he can make friends, and then is completely undermined by John correcting him. Even at this stage John must feel that he and Sherlock are more friends than colleagues, they do live together after all. I really hate Sebastian's smug smile that Sherlock would try to pass off a colleague as a friend, like he is so alien he has no idea of the difference. 

So what does everyone think? Is there a reason behind this I'm missing? Why does John do it?

I saw an interesting post about this on tumblr the other day, if anyone cares to have a read.

https://mid0nz.tumbl...-mid0nz-john-is

• Carol the Dabbler and Arcadia like this

"Why have I got this blanket?  They keep putting this blanket on me."

#424 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 12,996 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Thanks, Artemis! I love those. As much as I think TBB is one of their weakest episodes, it fairly drips with lovely little character moments like that.

It's this, or Cluedo.

#425 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 15,438 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

... I was wondering what people's opinions were on John correcting Sherlock referring to him a friend by saying he's a colleague.

I saw an interesting post about this on tumblr the other day, if anyone cares to have a read.

https://mid0nz.tumbl...-mid0nz-john-is

Thanks, Artemis!  That's a very carefully thought-out piece.  I particularly like this part:

What I love about the “Friend” “Colleague” moment is that they are both using the appellation they are proud of, that they think is better, but in the process both inadvertently offend the other.

John is feeling a bit worthless - he has no job, has just had to ask Sherlock for money, Sherlock has already said the Work is the most important thing. Now he’s tagging along with Sherlock to see a Very Important Business type, and Sherlock introduces him as a ‘friend’? Why is he even there? So he corrects that to ‘colleague’ someone involved in the Work, someone who has a role and a right to be there. He’s not just a friend tagging along for kicks, he’s Sherlock Holmes’ colleague- something he’s proud of. Not realising that to Sherlock, having a friend to show off is actually more important.

By the way, the shooting script of Blind Banker (quoted in that piece) has been up on the BBC website for a few years now -- and the shooting scripts of the other two S1 episodes have just been added.  :D

-- Carol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Episode Discussions, Polls, Series 1, Season 1