Sign in to follow this  
Carol the Dabbler

"Bad" words -- how the forum works

Just in case there's any confusion, I'd like to explain how the forum deals with certain words.  There are two categories:

1.  Normal "bad" words are basically the kind your parents don't want you to say.  The more common ones will be caught automatically by the forum software, which will substitute asterisks for one or more of the letters: for example, "sh*t."  Some of the less-common "bad" words may not be on the software's list just yet, but if anyone uses them, that post will be edited by a Moderator.

Use of "bad" words is against forum rules.  If the software changes a word for you, you may feel free to substitute a milder word, but please do not try to circumvent the software by misspelling the word.  If a Moderator changes a word in your post, you may feel free to rephrase it more politely, but please do not try to circumvent the Mod's edit.

The forum software is not currently checking for the other category, so I've put information about it into a spoiler box (so it's accessible if you're curious, but won't be in your way otherwise):

2.  "Forbidden" words are different.  You can refer to this thread for details, but in short the forum software assumes that anyone using certain words is posting a spam-type advertisement, so anyone attempting to post those words will receive a "Forbidden" error instead.

As long as you're not actually advertising, use of "forbidden" words is not against the forum rules, but the staff has no control over this part of the software.  You may feel free to circumvent the software by misspelling "forbidden" words.  For example, you can use zeros in place of the letter o (R0lex), or ones in place of the letter i (V1agra).  Or you can put hyphens between letters (P-r-o-z-a-c).  Whatever works is fine, as long as you're not actually advertising.

Note that the use of zeros, hyphens, etc., will also circumvent the forum's "bad" word detection, but that doesn't make it OK to post "bad" words.  The Moderators will edit any such posts.

If you have any questions about this, please post them here.

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
"Forbidden" words not currently banned.
  • Like 6

Any time you're not sure whether a word or phrase is appropriate for forum use, just ask "Could they say that on Sherlock?"  If not, then please think of some other way to express your thought.

• Like 3

Any time you're not sure whether a word or phrase is appropriate for forum use, just ask "Could they say that on Sherlock?" If not, then please think of some other way to express your thought.

Haha that's a cool way of putting it xD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think that's something Tim (Undead Medic, the forum Administrator) came up with.  But I like it well enough to steal it!  :D

• Like 1

I got to wondering exactly which words the forum software will "bleep" with asterisks, so I tried posting George Carlin's famous "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television," and found that the following three words are NOT bleeped by the forum (however I will box them in case anyone prefers not to read them):

shit

piss

tits

Carlin's other four words are definitely bleeped, but so far I have not found any others.

You might prefer to "bleep" certain permitted words yourself (e.g., sh*t), and that is perfectly OK (kinda genteel, in fact).

• Like 2

Genteel is good.  It is almost time for my annual language clean-up anyway, which is when I give up swearing for Lent.  The past couple of years, things have been stressful enough that I usually have lots of clean-up to do.  

• Like 1