Holmes-themed BBC "Prom"

I recognize Mark's voice, but don't quite get what's going on. Are these musical pieces actually inspired by Sherlock Holmes? Or just adapted for use in this concert? And why is it called a Prom? And why isn't there more information on their website so I don't have to post these questions here? :D

No idea why it's called prom, but the music is a mix of film themes and pieces that more or less can be connected to SH.

Yes, I'm starting to see that now. Sure would be helpful to have a list of what I'm listening to... oh well, I rather enjoyed the "Terror" one they just played.

Irene's theme... goosbumps.

Listening to it this way, I'm realizing how much of the melancholic undertone of this show is provided by the music. It's not really on the screen that much, but it's very much there in the music. Interesting.

Goosebumps for me was "Blood on the Pavement."

For those who missed it, I heard them say it will be available for 30 days. Although for the life of me I can't figure out how to find it again. :rolleyes: Apparently I am not BBCRadio friendly.

I will find out and give you a link. Probably they need some time to put it up.

Will listen to it again, the "feeling" of live broadcast is better but I was in a quite noisy place, working, a bit not good.

Martin and Amanda were there, expect some selfies coming from the attendants. :D

• Like 2

Thanks JP, I missed part of the first half, so wouldn't mind listening again. Besides, it was a good backdrop while I worked!

The British "prom" and the American "prom" are both short for "promenade," meaning a nice place to take a stroll (remember the Promenade Deck on The Love Boat?) -- or the stroll itself, especially as a social event.  But in the US, the term now refers to a formal dance given by a high-school class (the kids just happened to take a stroll wearing ball gowns and tuxedos!), and in the UK, it refers to an informal concert (the audience just happened to stroll by?).

In Boston, there's a series of informal outdoor concerts every summer, called the Esplanade Concerts, which take place at a band shell in a park along the Charles River known as The Esplanade.  Note that "esplanade" also means basically a nice place to take a stroll.

• Like 2

Sherlockology has posted their report on the Holmes "Prom," complete with links to the BBC Radio 3 iPlayer.  The links work just fine for me, but nothing wants to play -- which could be simply a problem with my internet service.  Could some other Americans please try them, to help determine whether they're region-restricted?  Thanks!

Added:  Oops, spoke too soon -- I finally got the nine-and-a-half-minute "Sherlock Suite" to load and start playing.  Apparently I'm having a slow-internet day!

Works find for me too, which is interesting since I'm also having a slow internet day......

That was fun to listen to.  I enjoy hearing Mark read bits from the Sherlock stories.  The mix of music fit the view of who Sherlock is in the various inceptions.

• Like 1

I was actually surprised how melancholy the music was for "The Private Life of". I keep thinking that's supposed to be a comedy but maybe I've missed something! :P I liked the music, though, it seemed appropriate for Holmes, even though not what I was expecting.

• Like 1

I have a BBC radio account, so it worked just fine: another adolescent fantasy of Mr Gatiss's fulfilled: for someone who waxes lyrical about The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, he was dressed in a velvet copy of Jeremy Brett's "penguin suit" complete with silk waistcoat,  down to the signature black double knot which was not a bow tie or a regular tie. And that film is most definitely not a comedy. It is a melodrama/spy mixture, if anything.

Pleased to have been of service, dear J.P.  :smile: You can see the same double knot on Benedict both in the trailer and the official photo, not to mention all the Twitter traffic going on at the time of filming the Special.

And in Private Life, a little nepotism seems to have been in order, since Wilder and Rosza were compatriots.

Thanks for the info, because I have watched the Granada series and the Rathbone films several times, without really registering how different the music is from one episode to the other. And thankfully the remix was from S1-S2, no Mary-theme!

Ab fab however, were the motet, Rossini, Paganini and Wagner!

• Like 1

I was actually surprised how melancholy the music was for "The Private Life of". I keep thinking that's supposed to be a comedy but maybe I've missed something! :P

... that film is most definitely not a comedy. It is a melodrama/spy mixture, if anything.

Fortunately, a film (or a television program) doesn't have to be all one thing or all the other.  I can see why Joanneta considers Private Life to be a melodramatic spy movie, but it definitely has its comedic (and even farcical) moments as well -- most famously, the ballet scene.

• Like 1

I shan't talk about that film! From Russian prima ballerinas to Ilse Von Hoffmansthal, it can't decide what it should be as a genre!

The link worked just fine for me, and I'm beginning to wonder:

In the commentary to TGG, Mark Gatiss said that all actors playing Sherlock Holmes go mad, Benedict has come already prepared. During the Prom, when questioned about Jeremy Brett, he repeated that all actors playing Holmes go mad, but it is simply not the case! The two Christophers (Plummer, Lee, are nonagenarians doing fine, Basil Rathbone certainly didn't go mad, Ian McKellan is doing just fine, the same goes for Michael Cane, Robert Downey Jr. has actually recovered from a slump in his career and is doing fine up to now, and Mr Gatiss must know Jeremy Brett suffered from bipolar disorder, which is genetic and hereditary, but he still managed to do his job from well to spectacularly well. Where is the madness, then? Or is it Mr Gatiss's head canon, so should we be wary?

And to the vital question: why try to fix something that ain't broken?

• Like 1

Apparently it doesn't play on my phone because I haven't installed the latest Flash, or I had deleted it in the past.

Given Gatiss's penchant for horror stories and the Victorian Gothic, it doesn't surprise me at all that he would wish there to be some dark legend surrounding the role of Sherlock Holmes (e.g. all who play him go mad).  Whether or not he actually believes this, I dunno.

• Like 3