How do you relate to Sherlock (the series)?

I definitely like you when I deal with my own problems, that's why most of the time I hide because people's curiosity and 'trying to help' make me feel worse.

I'm glad that I like all of your advices. :) and noone advices me to try and comfort him etc etc that I definitely incapable of. I haven't met him yet, there is some changes in the schedule and I feel relieved eventhough it's merely delayed.

I guess the tricky thing is the compassionate culture of everyone here, that is why I want to tread carefully. And the supervisor's relationship with him actually probably more distance since I know him earlier for another project and I had asked around but nobody seems to know how he feels about the amputation. So yah, I would just go in, and see how he reacts and let myself behave naturally, but take note to give sometimes before .. sigh... critisizing his works that he probably has known anyway since I had said it to his supervisor beforehand.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

I just have to put it here, just for the record. I love it!

when I watch Sherlock, it's like, yes! Finally something on television that represents me and understands me! There isn't much of that about. So it's very special to me.

It feels like home to my heart.

It's not like the story makes it's home in my heart, like Steven said. It's the other way round for me. Sorry, Steven :D

• Like 2

It's like Star Trek was fifty years ago -- something fresh and different, yet somehow familiar and nice.  Something that grabbed me within the first ten or fifteen minutes.  Something I can watch without cringing.  Something that I can both laugh and cry at because it's meaningful.

Or as you guys said, it feels like home.  (In the case of Star Trek, that feeling was most intense for the first two seasons, while in the case of Sherlock -- well, ditto.)

• Like 3

You know, even though I still think the first two seasons of Sherlock were better, I personally probably "need" the warmth and humanity of the last two to feel truly satisfied. It's not as fun to watch and some of the storytelling was clunky, but still the best attempt to humanize Sherlock Holmes that I am aware of.

I am a very emotional person at heart. So is Sherlock, it turns out. Which means that his character hits close to home again. That's nice.

I am (or have become) quite a fangirl. S3 and 4 were very fannish. So that's nice too.

And showing the boys still solving crimes together in the end was great. Perfect, in fact. Much, much better than bees and Sussex Downs, estrangement, war, etc. The ending made me felt understood, like, finally someone gets it, they know what my fannish little heart really wants and they made it possible.

I feel understood as a person and as a fan by this series, even though nobody involved with making it knows me or cares and it's actually quite clear from interviews, comments, etc, that at least one person involved (;-)) has a very different vision. But that doesn't bother me. I am not delusional, I don't sit here thinking they did anything with me or people like me in mind.

I don't need that to feel understood, it's enough that apparently fictional characters in a fictional universe would understand me if they knew me and that only in my own interpretation of said universe. So I guess it boils down to me understanding myself but still, it's more satisfying or at least satisfying in a different way to watch Sherlock than to sit around daydreaming. So... Yeah.

TLDR; I am nuts.

• Like 2

Yes you are, but it's the kind of nuts I love. That was beautiful! 

For all my complaints about S4, at least it takes Sherlock where I always wanted him to go ... "the good man," etc. I doubt I would even have liked this show if I hadn't always had the sense that was what it was really about ... Sherlock's "great heart."

One of the things I loved about TLD was they showed that he can be all noble sacrifice and mushy sentiment, and still be annoying as hell. :d Just because he's a "good man" now, doesn't mean he can't still be fun to watch!

• Like 2

I feel understood as a person and as a fan by this series, even though nobody involved with making it knows me or cares and it's actually quite clear from interviews, comments, etc, that at least one person involved (;-)) has a very different vision [....] it's enough that apparently fictional characters in a fictional universe would understand me if they knew me....

You know, I that's exactly how I felt about Star Trek. Even though I was thoroughly convinced that Gene Roddenberry didn't even understand the show (and of course didn't know me), I was sure that Spock understood me just fine (or would, anyhow).

How can two shows that are so different on the surface be so similar at heart?

Maybe because they have characters pretending and wishing they had no hearts.

Just like many of us.

Because we are cowards logical human beings XD who afraid of unpleasant consequences of having hearts.

That..sloopy...@#^(*^#6 muscular glutinous illogical busybody thingy?

That brings me to question, why there is so few shows that touch this button?

Very few. Compared to other shows that other people relate to.

Even when Sherlock's fandom is big, there are other areas they relate to, much less who relate in this way.

Or is there actually not many people like this?

• Like 1

I was sure that Spock understood me just fine (or would, anyhow).

Maybe because they have characters pretending and wishing they had no hearts.

Just like many of us.

Because we are cowards logical human beings XD who afraid of unpleasant consequences of having hearts.

Whereas I'm probably more like Data, not entirely sure I have a heart because I don't appear to feel or act as expected, and sometimes wishing I could feel more human.

• Like 1

They're not entirely different.  I read a comparison once, I wish I could find it again.  But they both have a close comradeship between two people, one a bit Sherlock-like and the other more John-like; and they both involve solving mysteries.  One is just the mysteries of the universe, instead of crime.

That brings me to question, why there is so few shows that touch this button?

Very few. Compared to other shows that other people relate to.

Even when Sherlock's fandom is big, there are other areas they relate to, much less who relate in this way.

Or is there actually not many people like this?

I think that's as good an explanation as any.

• Like 1

Whereas I'm probably more like Data, not entirely sure I have a heart because I don't appear to feel or act as expected, and sometimes wishing I could feel more human.

Sometimes I don't feel things that others feel, and certainly not easily affected emotionally unless it has to do with people I care about, then it's overwhelming.

That is when I feel too human, and it's not good. I never wish to be more human, on the contrary. Because being human is... how to put that, 'too tragic'.

I don't wish to be anything other than what I am, but what I am is on a different wavelength than the bulk of humanity, and that often results in feeling rather "alien" and misunderstood.  I wouldn't mind if it weren't quite so isolating, but I have to live here.  :P  It's very difficult to find anyone accepting of me.  (But I'm sure that's true of many.)

• Like 1

Because true introverts are a relatively small portion of the population, and most TV shows cater to the masses? Because it's easier to write to a formula rather than coming up with something out of the box? Because most TV shows are run by committee and not by the vision of a single creator? (Or a pair of them :smile:)

• Like 2

Because true introverts are a relatively small portion of the population,

I wonder what the real ratio actually is, if it's more or less 50/50, or more uneven than that.

It's trendy now to say you're an introvert, even though actually being one is less desirable and more out of sync with mainstream society, which is still not understood by most people.  ("Some nights I like to be at home, reading in the bathtub!  Sometimes other people irritate me!  I have less than 1,000 Facebook friends!  I don't like 'the drama'!  I'm an introvert!")  Almost everyone I've ever known (and spoken to on the subject) has thought they were an introvert, but almost none of them actually were.  My mom and brother insist they're introverts, which is just about the most annoying thing ever, because they're seriously the most extroverted people.  They have no understanding or empathy for my introverted qualities, and yet when I tried to explain something I do as having its source in introversion, the response was along the lines of, "Well I'm an introvert too, and *I* don't do that!"  My mom in particular can be very harsh about introverted traits (without realizing that's what they are), most of which she views as rudeness or being self-interested.

I think there are many different ideas floating around as to how introversion is defined. The one I am most familiar with and find easiest to relate to is that introverts feel drained by social interaction and energized by spending time alone, extroverts, vice versa.

Doesn't mean that all introverts are shy or that shyness and introversion are the same thing. I used to be both, but I worked to overcome my shyness. The introversion is an elemental part of my personality though, I don't think I could change that if I wanted to.

Also doesn't mean introverts don't like people or never get lonely.

Is Sherlock an introvert, btw? I suspect no. Because of his need for an audience and his love of attention and drama.

• Like 2

I think he is, or at least that’s how I would classify him if I had to choose. I don’t think he particularly loves attention, he just ends up the center of it. And having a flair for the dramatic doesn’t make one an extrovert. There are even introverted actors who feel completely comfortable with it because they come at it from the perspective of playing a role or interacting from behind a “mask”, which maintains a distance between them and other people. There are both extroverted and introverted ways to experience and enjoy most things, and I think Sherlock usually engages most activities in an introverted way. Social interaction drains me to such a degree that I can become irritable and out of sorts if I’m around people for too long without time to myself, and I think Sherlock would be the same way. He “requires” quiet time alone to think more than he “requires” time around people. He likes having John around to bounce ideas off of, but it’s not unusual for an introvert to like having one or even a few close people around regularly. But I don’t think he’d be a “more the merrier” type of person, which extroverts often are. He interacts with many people but it’s motivated by love for his work, which is his passion, purpose, and special interest. He doesn’t seek people out just to be around them, there’s nearly always a work-related motive. Introverts tend to process their world internally, and Sherlock is very much involved in his inner life and the workings of his mind. Introverts also tend to be more observant and independent, abhor smalltalk and large social events (like weddings), and prefer communication through written text (when they have to communicate).

That’s all just generalizing though. Introversion and extroversion exist on a spectrum, so just about everyone will have some traits of both, even if they lean more towards one end.

• Like 2

Introverts need a reason to be around people, while for extroverts being around people is the reason.

Extroverted Sherlock would enjoy the Xmas party and would not try to leave the situation - if not in material world then at least focusing on something on his laptop. He doesn't go to John's Birthday party because there will be people.

Plus I an an introvert and like to show off, but on my own terms. That's why I love internet. :D

• Like 3

The reason why I like Data, Spock, Sherlock and Mycroft is that they are lacking social instincts, so natural to normal people and they constantly wonder about lack of sense in humans. Emotions are mysterious and scary, because they easily switch off the logical reasoning - and logical reasoning is (or at least we wish it was) our usual operating mode.

As for the media, loners, nerds are mostly villains or misfits, or victims. How many times you saw someone saying "caring is not an advantage" or "alone protects me" and still be (more or less) a good guy? I assume for people like me it must be hugely comforting to finally find positive "spirit animals".

• Like 3

I think he is, or at least that’s how I would classify him if I had to choose. I don’t think he particularly loves attention, he just ends up the center of it. And having a flair for the dramatic doesn’t make one an extrovert. There are even introverted actors who feel completely comfortable with it because they come at it from the perspective of playing a role or interacting from behind a “mask”, which maintains a distance between them and other people. There are both extroverted and introverted ways to experience and enjoy most things, and I think Sherlock usually engages most activities in an introverted way. Social interaction drains me to such a degree that I can become irritable and out of sorts if I’m around people for too long without time to myself, and I think Sherlock would be the same way. He “requires” quiet time alone to think more than he “requires” time around people. He likes having John around to bounce ideas off of, but it’s not unusual for an introvert to like having one or even a few close people around regularly. But I don’t think he’d be a “more the merrier” type of person, which extroverts often are. He interacts with many people but it’s motivated by love for his work, which is his passion, purpose, and special interest. He doesn’t seek people out just to be around them, there’s nearly always a work-related motive. Introverts tend to process their world internally, and Sherlock is very much involved in his inner life and the workings of his mind. Introverts also tend to be more observant and independent, abhor smalltalk and large social events (like weddings), and prefer communication through written text (when they have to communicate).

That’s all just generalizing though. Introversion and extroversion exist on a spectrum, so just about everyone will have some traits of both, even if they lean more towards one end.

I don't know about Sherlock, but you sure described me.

• Like 1

Introverts need a reason to be around people, while for extroverts being around people is the reason.

Extroverted Sherlock would enjoy the Xmas party and would not try to leave the situation - if not in material world then at least focusing on something on his laptop. He doesn't go to John's Birthday party because there will be people.

Plus I am an introvert and like to show off, but on my own terms. That's why I love internet. :D

^ That’s a good way of putting it.

I also don't see Sherlock looking forward to the attention he anticipated receiving during his best man speech.  I think he only endured it because a) it was for John, and b ) he got around it by making most of the speech about murders, lol.

The reason why I like Data, Spock, Sherlock and Mycroft is that they are lacking social instincts, so natural to normal people and they constantly wonder about lack of sense in humans. Emotions are mysterious and scary, because they easily switch off the logical reasoning - and logical reasoning is (or at least we wish it was) our usual operating mode.

As for the media, loners, nerds are mostly villains or misfits, or victims. How many times you saw someone saying "caring is not an advantage" or "alone protects me" and still be (more or less) a good guy? I assume for people like me it must be hugely comforting to finally find positive "spirit animals".

^ Yes, this!

Yes I think Sherlock is definitely an introvert on reasons J.P described.

I think introverts do want audiences and appreciation on specific things they highly value, like meaningful achievements for example, while thinking that other attentions one gets just because it's birthday, party or others are unnecessary.

Actually introverts might be as guilty as extroverts thinking we are weird, because we also think back that they are nuts for wanting to socialize all the time. :p

It's balance, and of course introvert nerds are sexier.

At least I see there are much more misfit characters nowadays that are embraced by audience compared to back then when they are only side kick or first victim to die in horror movie.

But I don't mind villains though, in fact, most compelling villains have those traits.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...