Benedict's Other Films/Plays

J.P.

I'm not sure if the title is fitting (corrections would be appreciated) but I thought maybe we should have a thread or threads for smaller or older projects of our darlings, without opening a whole thread for each one of them and not "misusing" the news threads.

Just have watched "Painted in Words"https://vimeo.com/109538758 (at Vimeo in decent quality)

It took me a while to finally watch it, maybe because I didn't like Ben's beard... (Kirk Douglas will be forever THE Vincent in my eyes), but it is better than I expected. He makes it good. Alone because you hear his voice almost all the time reading the letters would be enough. And he is looking directly at you a lot.

There is a reason why Ben is "always" playing complicated, tragic characters. He can tell more about suffering with one glance then others with whole pages of text. Which makes me wonder about the place in him where he "channels" all this from. (is it an understandable sentence?)

A bit of criticism: Ben managed to cutify Vincent a bit, making him more likable than he probably was, because from what we know, the painter was everything by easy to have around. But maybe it's the director's choice, because this film is telling the story from Vincent's POV.

There is a little detail that caught my eye (and it's why love Ben's acting) - when he plays Vincent in later years, with very bad teeth, he seems to do what all people with bad teeth do - try to hide it. Not smiling, not opening one's mouth too much when speaking. He is doing it very subtle, so in the end I'm not sure if it's acting or simply an effect of his teeth being painted dark and hardly visible.

For someone who "knows how it is", at times the film goes a bit too close (how does it go with the salt and old wounds?)

Ever since I first understood the lyrics, McLeans "Vincent" always moved me. But next time I hear I'll probably dissolve in a puddle of tears (says a person who admires Mycroft Holmes, and who would rather bite you than to reveal her soft side)

There are plenty of pics and screencaps out there, so let's save resources.

i7bjsfzn.jpg

I also found it better than I expected ... mostly, I guess, because that's not my favorite format for a biographical film. But it actually worked pretty well, for all the reasons you said. And yes, your sentence is understandable! :smile:

Vimeo has some little treasures. Like Inseparable. Very intense short film. I kind of guessed the outcome but still was surprised at the end. And Natalie Press' acting is... a punch in the guts.

Of course such solution would NEVER work for those two brothers, but it's another story.

I like like those short films seem to be a little exercises in deduction and observation. :)

I'm more and more scared of watching Third Star. Honestly.

The small making of Frankenstein made me want the play on a DVD. In both versions.

The Turning Point was also quite good. I have an impression that my understanding of spoken English improves. Could understand most of the Churchil's lines. :D

• Like 1

Heck I always forget about Inseparable, it is fantastic.

Oh and you must watch Third Star...I find it very uplifting.

Uplifting? I was completely devastated after TSOT! :o From what I've seen already, I think TS has the potential to pulverize me.

Until I've Mycroftized myself completely, the subject of friendship together with the subject of young death and suffering from cancer will stay a mine field.

I will need to check out those videos you, JP, linked to when I get home later today.

As for Inseparable:

First I thought it's not going to work, how would his wife not recognize the trick? Until the very end when I realized they are doing it for the kid. Well, maybe the solution will work after all - even if Charlie cannot keep Joe's apparently good paid job and they loose the car and the house, the kid still would have a father.

DON'T READ THE DESCRIPTION BENEATH THE FILM AT VIMEO! <- it's a spoiler.

I loved Third Star. It didn't even make me feel that sad, I thought the ending was a good one. But I guess I am weird about that whole subject.

I'm more and more scared of watching Third Star. Honestly.

The small making of Frankenstein made me want the play on a DVD. In both versions.

The Turning Point was also quite good. I have an impression that my understanding of spoken English improves. Could understand most of the Churchil's lines. :D

I loved Third Star. It didn't even make me feel that sad, I thought the ending was a good one. But I guess I am weird about that whole subject.

I was scared to see it too and watched everything else I could get my hands on first. But I agree with Toby, it's not a "happy" ending but it still feels right, the way they do it. And it's just a delightful movie.

Incredibly, I still haven't seen the Fifth Estate. Must do something about that soon.

The Fifth Estate is excellent.  I've watched it several times in the last year.

Now to watch the other videos posted.

I've watched Eddie's version and it is excellent.  Now to watch the video links above as I haven't done that yet.

Starter... that's where Ben's love with the word peripatetic might started...

Nice little movie with the add benefits in form of Charles Dance, Lady Smalwood :lol4:, Mark G, and the Doctor. The BBC team of actors is so small they should start to worry about inbreeding...

Hilarious moments? Many. Headbutt. Patrick's desperate assault. Having a cactus as a mascot at the competition. (I suspect the cact...us plants were his only friends) Ben totally un-sexy. Mark - unrecognizable. His voice and the whole damn facial expression was different. :o

It was good to have the subtitles. :)

I'm asking myself why this movie was set in 1985/6 though.

Don't forget, seeing him in Atonement was what made Sue Vertue think he'd make a good Sherlock. (That's kind of scary, actually .... :smile:)

• Like 1

Oh, I'm sorry. They used to be there. :( I can't find a lot of the movies/tv clips I've watched before, I guess now that BC's a "big name", the owners of them must be policing the internet more carefully. Can't say I blame them but it is a bit of a bummer for people like me who can't afford fancy video services.

I see Stuart A Life Backwards listed in several places, but they all seem to want you to create an account first, and I seldom trust a site enough to do that. But it's worth seeing too, if you can find it.

Then there's this: https://vimeo.com/58296976