"Star Trek: Discovery" on CBS streaming

According to Radio Times, a new Star Trek series is slated to air in January 2017:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-02/new-star-trek-tv-series-to-air-in-2017

• Like 4

That's interesting news!  I would be highly skeptical, but CBS hasn't done too badly by Elementary (even though I've stopped watching it), so maybe there's hope for their Star Trek.

The new series' executive producer will be Alex Kurtzman, who co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness ..., and will introduce new characters ...."

So apparently this will be some sort of "Next Generation" type spin-off?  Hopefully Kurtzman will be more closely involved in the new series than Gene Roddenberry was after he "promoted himself" to Executive Producer for the third season of the original!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Iirc, TNG started in 87, so you can expect BBC America reruns in approximately 30 years - at least they'll come via datajack or something ;).

• Like 1

:D The series that wouldn't die! This sounds good to me too, I wonder if it will be based on one of the existing universes or just start another one. Could be really cool either way.

• 1 year later...

We saw the first two episodes (apparently, it's on Netflix everywhere but the U.S.) yesterday. A bit action-ish for Star Trek imo, and why did they have to redesign the Klingons yet again (at this point I'm starting to wonder if they're limited shapeshifters and we just haven't been told yet), but otherwise I liked it. Now let's see where they go with that storyline (the first two episodes were basically backstory, the Discovery itself hasn't even appeared yet).

Fyi, it's set in the old continuity and about ten years before Kirk&gang started on their first five-year mission, and about a hundred years after Captain Archer.

• Like 3

Thanks for the premise -- I've been wondering which era/timeline they were in. Good choice picking the original timeline, I think. There's no way they could accidentally contradict the new movies, or vice versa -- they've each got their own nice little playpen.

Odd about the ten-years-in-the-past, though. Unless they're planning to spin off yet *another* timeline, we know their future, which limits them considerably.

What do their Klingons look like?

Looks like Original Series Klingons are to NextGen Klingons as NextGen Klingons are to New Klingons.

D'you recall what turned out to have been the explanation that Worf wouldn't talk about?  As I recall, the OS Klingons were the result of a program intended to produce Klingons with [certain] characteristics, by breeding NextGen Klingons with humans.  Those new guys make it look like the NextGen Klingons themselves had been the result of an earlier, similar breeding program that began with the new guys -- Klingons on steroids!

The explanation for the ridge-less TOS Klingons was covered in the Enterprise series (the Archer one), basically yeah, experiment gone wrong, a nasty virus mixed with (human) Augment DNA: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon_augment_virus. No explanation so far for the new version, but we're only two episodes in, so there's hope for one yet.

• Like 1

I'm glad you updated this Caya, I'd forgotten it existed. And I've been meaning to ask if anyone else had seen it. They showed the first episode here on TV last week -- but apparently we're not getting the rest of it unless we want to pay for a streaming service ... booooo, hissssssss. However, I was bored stiff by the first episode, so I don't really care. Too much exposition!!! TV's a visual medium, why can't they show us instead of talking us to death!!! Still, I'd like to see if it gets any better once it finds its feet. But I'm not going to pay extra for it.  :angry: 

Nope, they tricked us. https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/15/how-to-watch-star-trek-discovery/

In a nutshell: here in the States, they broadcast the first episode on CBS, the rest is only on CBS' for-fee streaming service. 

This is the kind of thing I think consumers should nip in the bud by refusing to pay up. Yes, it means doing without, but geez, seriously..... how many of these services are we supposed to pay for? Nuh-uh, not me.

Six bucks a month? To watch one show that I don't even know if I'd like it? Even if my internet service were fast enough (which I don't think it is), that seems like a silly thing for me to do.

Sorry, CBS -- to talk me into that, you'd need far more than just some new show that happens to have the name Star Trek.

• Like 1

I'm hoping I'll be able to borrow the DVD from the library some day. :smile: Assuming I'm convinced it's worth the time. I thought the pilot was a snorefest, unfortunately. It owed more to Peter Jackson than to Star Trek. The Klingons were just another version of Orc.....

I knew beforehand that the series was only going to be available to stream, so I didn't bother watching the first episode.  Airing it on network TV was just a ploy to hook unsuspecting viewers on the show and rope them into paying for the streaming service to see the rest, which is a pretty slimy move in my opinion.  I already get Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime (the latter only because I like to get the free shipping when I order online).  I'm not paying for another streaming service just to watch one show, even if it is Star Trek.  It didn't look that interesting to me anyway, in part because it's set in the past on the timeline.  As much as I love a good backstory, I'm a little sick of all these "prequel" type shows.  I'm starting to feel like it's just an excuse to pop out some easy writing.  A new Star Trek set in the future, after Voyager (or whatever the latest one in the timeline was), would have required a lot more creativity (I feel) and would have interested me more.  I think (?) in Voyager they alluded to some sort of time travel wars going on in the future, they could have done something really neat with that (even though I'm not the biggest fan of time-travel stories; the disruptions to the timeline stress me out sometimes, lol).

• Like 1

The Temporal Cold War was an Enterprise (Archer's again) storyline: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Temporal_Cold_War. Never saw it myself (not much of a fan of that particular Star Trek series) but from what I've heard, it wasn't a huge success. Latest in the regular timeline was the last NextGen movie, I think (Star Trek Nemesis, the one with Picard's clone) - Janeway was admiralty there iirc, so she must have been back by that point.

• Like 2

Isn't that kinda how they were in the original Trek?

I mean, in appearance. Wait til you see the new design ... think Lurtz in Fellowship, only more beetle-like.  But no, I never thought Klingons were the equivalent  of orcs anyway ... did you? Hmm, interesting notion.....

I mean, in appearance. Wait til you see the new design ... think Lurtz in Fellowship, only more beetle-like.  But no, I never thought Klingons were the equivalent  of orcs anyway ... did you? Hmm, interesting notion.....

Well, the closest thing to Orcs in the original Star Trek, anyhow.  A friend of mine wrote a fanfic wherein she described the Klingons (in-universe) as something like "so evil that they might almost have been invented just for that purpose" -- which was of course tongue in cheek, since they did indeed seem to have been developed (in real life) as the all-purpose baddie.

Wait a minute -- you mean that photo in one of Martina's earlier posts isn't them?

Oh. Yeah, I guess it is, I forgot about it already. :rolleyes:

I guess the original Klingons were supposed to be rather generically evil. I don't think I ever thought about it much (I was rather young, after all) until Worf came along, and then I just sort of went, "ok, okay, they're not bad, just different." Something like that.

• Like 1

Aha, another reason I didn't find Klingons quite orc-like ... just saw a replay of "Day of the Dove." That Kang was a good-lookin' Klingon!