Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recently watched movies

• Please log in to reply
1053 replies to this topic

#1 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:18 PM

This is exactly what you think it is and exactly what the title sais it is: A thread where you tell us, which movie you've seen lately and if you liked it and how much you liked it. You're also very welcome to write a review. I'd like to read some of yours.
  • Doe likes this

#2 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

As I already mentioned in a different thread, I've seen Deadpool and it was freaking awesome.
That movie nailed it!

Deadpool - 9/10

#3 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:06 PM

Recently watched: Brave. Liked it, very funny. Sweet in the way I like sweet, which is: not too.

It's this, or Cluedo.

#4 Van Buren Supernova

Van Buren Supernova

Consulting Detective

• 4,612 posts
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

Wolf of Wall Street.
It's crazy but good crazy. I think it holds record for number of F-word said in movie.
it's very long, I think three hourish, and based on true person and story. It's entertaining and again, crazy.

Watched 12 years of slave, also based on true story. It's sad and horrible, but if you think about it, this is probably just a sample of slavery story that is 'not so bad', and that is f-up.

I'd like to write more, but I don't know what I am doing here, it's very odd hour. My flight was delayed for six hours. Six hours!
But the street is nice and peaceful because no one is around. Need to get up in two, will either look like zombie or panda. Laterz.
I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.

#5 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

Wolf of Wallstreet is a great movie. It's really crazy but I think Leo's performance is outstanding! He is doing an incredible job there (as usual) and really should have won that damn oscar for that role.

#6 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

One more thing guys, would be really cool if you would give the movie you've watched a rating.
iMDB like ;)
It's just interesting to see how you rate a movie.

(For example:
Deadpool - 9/10
Inception - 10/10
Whatevermovieuwant 6.5/10)

Thanks.

#7 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:46 PM

Brave: 8/10 (as long as you already like that kind of thing)

It's this, or Cluedo.

#8 T.o.b.y

T.o.b.y

Consulting Detective

• 5,848 posts
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

Ooooh, I think I am going to like this thread!

I've seen a lot of Marvel superhero movies lately because people I like are into them and I find them very relaxing. A bit too relaxing, I am afraid - I couldn't for the life of me tell you what exactly happens in Thor / Iron Man / Avengers / you name it, so I don't think I can give a fair opinion on any of them. I think I liked Antman the best so far. Deadpool was fun - but only as long as he was Deadpool, I didn't really care that much about Wade.

The last film I saw at the cinema was Zootopia. And I enjoyed it a lot more than I had expected I would. Yeah, it was preachy, but it preached a message I liked and it was a bit different from older Disney / Pixar movies I remember. 7/10, I'd say. Maybe even 8/10, I'll have to wait until I can watch it a second time to decide. I really liked Judy and the fox and how their relationship developed (only I wish they had left romance out entirely there, I think they worked better as platonic friends).

"All lives end - all hearts are broken" / "The East Wind takes us all in the end"

#9 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:30 PM

I hope so. ;)

I think I liked Antman the best so far.

I really liked Ant Man too. It had a great sense of humor.
And apropos Marvel, I think I'll really like Captain America 3. Captain America 2 was great and the new one received great critics and viewer rating (at least on iMDB). Some even call it the best Marvel movie to yet.

#10 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:32 AM

Same here, I liked Zootopia far more than I thought I would. For some reason the preaching doesn't bother me when delivered by cute animals. :smile:

I'll give it a 9/10 ... only because I still like traditional animation better than computer generated.

On the other hand, I was very disappointed in the second Avengers movie, but I've only seen it once so I hesitate to rate it -- perhaps my expectations were too high, or I was in a bad mood, or something. But the first one -- heck, I'll give it a 10/10, because Josh Whedon is God. :P

It's this, or Cluedo.

#11 Van Buren Supernova

Van Buren Supernova

Consulting Detective

• 4,612 posts
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:02 AM

I only saw Zootopia movie poster, it looks like computer generated? I mean it's 3d animation rite, not simpson kind (2d).

Wolf of Wall Street, I give it 8/10. I like that the story is told from character's point of view and how he sees himself, it's also explained now and then that his POV is not always accurate, especially when he is high. It helps to excuse the sometimes zaggy plotline and give audience room for own interpretation which is good. Everyone is hero in their own story, that is why pointing out his own inaccuracy makes it more believable to me.

12 years of slave. I don't know, I think I should like it more but I don't. Maybe I multi-tasked while I watched it, but normally, if it's captivating enough, I would prioritize and pay more attention, but no. Maybe the plot is jumpy, it would flow better with narration. It's 6.5/10 for me.

Dressmaker, it's colorful drama that looks like lighthearted movie but not really. I like that it's quite unusual and maybe it helps that I enjoy Kate Winslet's performance. 7.2/10.
I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.

#12 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

Yes, computer generated. The voice acting was superlative.

It's this, or Cluedo.

#13 T.o.b.y

T.o.b.y

Consulting Detective

• 5,848 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

I've seen a lot of Marvel superhero movies lately because people I like are into them and I find them very relaxing. A bit too relaxing, I am afraid - I couldn't for the life of me tell you what exactly happens in Thor / Iron Man / Avengers / you name it, so I don't think I can give a fair opinion on any of them. I think I liked Antman the best so far.

Wait, isn't Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel too? Okay, I take that back. I like Guardians the best. I recently saw that one for the second time and it engaged me much more than the others. 7/10 - but only because I am not likely to give a higher rating to a run of the mill superhero film. (I find this rating game difficult. What does 10 mean? Are we supposed to try and be objective? Because I know plenty of movies that I I consider very high quality but still don't enjoy much. Right now I am using 10 as "film I personally liked the very best of all films I have ever seen", i.e. I am going by my very personal opinion only).

"All lives end - all hearts are broken" / "The East Wind takes us all in the end"

#14 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

Yes, Guardians of the Galaxy is Marvel too. And yes it's awesome.

It's your decision which movies you give a 10/10.
10 can mean 'this movie made everything right, it was what it wanted to be and was really really good in it', or it can mean 'this movie is simply one of the best movies' or whatever 10 means for you.

For example on iMDB, I gave movies like "Inception" "The dark Knight" "Pulp Fiction" etc. an 10/10 because they were just incredible good. They are one of the best movies, in my opinion. (even though I have to admit that I only watched Pulp Fiction once.)
(and damn how many times have I already mentioned iMDB ) :D

#15 T.o.b.y

T.o.b.y

Consulting Detective

• 5,848 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

So, if I compare Guardians to what I would consider the "perfect" superhero film, I rate it higher - 9, I would say. It just compares unfavorably to other movies in my eyes because of the limitations of this particular genre.

Just in case anyone was wondering what a 10/10 film would be for me: Several Sherlock episodes, for example, like A Study in Pink and The Great Game. Also the movies "Pride" and "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". If we're talking fantasy, I would say "Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring". For Anime (yes, I have watched some Anime) it would be "Princess Mononoke" and if we're talking comedy, I choose the original British "The Office".

#16 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

A 10 for me would be something like The Shawshank Redemption. But I also love something like Star Trek into Darkness, which I thought was brilliantly well done ... for escapism. But being escapism, does that actually make it a less good film? I don't know, it's hard to compare sometimes. But I guess I do rate "message" movies higher, all else being equal. (And when is all else ever equal! :D )

I would also rate, say, Schindler's List a 10, but I can't actually say I "liked" it ... more like, I survived it, I respect it, I'm humbled by it, and I will never watch it again because it's just too much to deliberately subject myself to more than once.

So, yeah, my ratings aren't very consistent. :D

It's this, or Cluedo.

#17 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:01 PM

Insomnia - 7/10

A not so famous and not so typicall Christopher Nolan movie (no mindf*ck).

Still a great thriller. Al Pacino, of course , does a great job, just like all other cast members.

From Nolan I still want to see more Mindbending movies.
  • epifan likes this

#18 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:05 PM

Tonight I am going to watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. For the nth time. I will rate it ... surprise! ... 10/10. :)

It's this, or Cluedo.

#19 epifan

epifan

Detective Constable

• 10 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

Capitan America: Civil War 8/10 it was so funny, really, worth watching! (John is here :P and he is such a… self-confident jackass)

The Night Manager -  it’s a mini-series, but very interesting! Also Hugh Laurie is magnificent as a villain.

Big hero 6 – it was very touching movie, I hope there will be sequel of it. 

deep end 

#20 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:43 AM

I tried watching the Night Manager but I just couldn't get into it and only survived two episodes. But I never have been much of a fan of Le Carre's work, I'm afraid. I don't know why ... even Tinker Tailor was only interesting to me because of the cast. There's something rather dry and cynical about Le Carre's stories that doesn't reach me, I guess.

It's this, or Cluedo.