Recently watched movies

Yep, that's what I tried.  :bemused:  Maybe my browser's just being funky.

Full Metal Jacket - 8/10

Also saw Infinity War last week or so, will wait til I see it a second time to give it a rating, but I have to say that the more thought I gave to the movie, the more I found myself liking it.

It was definitely done well complete with a bunch of wtf’s and omg’s. I don’t think I can watch it again until after the next Avengers movie comes out.

It really was something else.  I was basically in the theater looking like this the entire time:

tumblr_oxklcgRt5R1spgwzwo2_500.gif

It's funny, because I went into it knowing what was going to happen (I don't actively avoid spoilers), but in a way I still wasn't prepared for it.  It's been very interesting reading about everyone's reactions to the film.  Some people have fascinating theater stories, lol.

P.S.  I would like to add, though, in case this is setting anyone off seeing the movie, that it wasn't all wtf's and omg's.  There were some hearty laughs, too.  (Drax is amazing, lol.)

• Like 3

Yeah, I laughed a lot. The only people I would warn off of it are the ones who don't like superhero movies to begin with. And I know what you mean about you-know-who .... ak.

The more I think about this movie the more I like it, too. Always a good sign.

Re: emoties ... try making sure you type a space or a return after typing one, mine don't show up unless I do. :blink: Sometimes it takes two spaces.

I think all the same codes work, but since there's no plain text mode anymore, it's harder to see what you're doing. Multiquote is a nightmare now, at least for neatniks like me who want everything to look just so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Artemis, I like to know stuff like that beforehand. Ugh. And that's only the first, right? 

Dunno if that movie is for me. 

17 minutes ago, T.o.b.y said:

Thanks Artemis, I like to know stuff like that beforehand. Ugh. And that's only the first, right?

Can't blame ya, so do I.

Spoiler

Yes, he is killed just a few minutes in, even before the opening title.  There is a very long list of character deaths in the film, many of them rather gut-wrenching.  Not gory or anything, but emotional.  If you like I could comprise a list of everyone who died, and tell you the worst ones.  But if it's any consolation, almost all of them will be back, so they're not really dead, or not dead for good.  There's really only one 'maybe', and then the two 'almost certainly gone for good' mentioned in my previous post.

Question for those who have seen it:

Spoiler

I'm curious about the two constantly repeated motifs; killing the one you love most, and sacrificing something you shouldn't to save others. I can't decide whether that's a flaw -- a lack of variety -- or whether it's part of a theme that I haven't quite grasped yet (and maybe I can't until the next movie is out?) I'd like it to be part of some grand message about love and loss and sacrifice, but I'm wary ... was it simply the most effective way to punch the audience in the gut? (Yes, it's this kind of thing that keeps me awake at night.) Thoughts, anyone?

11 hours ago, Artemis said:

It's been very interesting reading about everyone's reactions to the film.  Some people have fascinating theater stories, lol.

I'd be interested in reading some of that, any suggestions where to look?

17 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'd be interested in reading some of that, any suggestions where to look?

Hmm, not really... I've mostly been reading them on Tumblr as I come across them.  This post, for example (while not the best example), has little comments in the notes from other people about their theater experience.  I've also heard there are Infinity War audience reaction videos on YouTube, but I've not watched any yet.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Question for those who have seen it:

Spoiler

I personally think, at least for now, that it was written like that for dramatic purposes, and not much more.  Sacrifice has always been a theme explored in tales of heroism, and likely will always be; that's just kinda how these things are written.  They go hand-in-hand.  I doubt we were intended to read much deeper into it, it's just classic story-telling.

However!  I've seen some very interesting fan theories out there wherein it does have a more specific purpose.  See point #9 of this post, and this one for a bit of an expansion on that.  I would honestly love for something more purposeful to be going on, I just don't trust the filmmakers to be that clever.

• Like 1

The trailer for the Freddie Mercury biopic just came out. Hmmm, not sure. Plus it's hard to see Rami Malek as anything other than Elliot from Mr Robot. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one who could never get excited about either Freddy Mercury (or his band) or David Bowie? Never liked either their music or their appearance. In their heyday I thought their appeal was very limited, but now it seems like everyone thinks they were great. Except me. I missed something, somewhere.

You like their music, or their fashion, or what? I can't define it, but something about Freddy Mercury's mustache always creeped me out. I mean, really creeped me out ... It's weird how visceral my reaction still is. Sorry, Freddy. :( 

Musically, they simply weren't to my taste, but that didn't bother me ... many bands aren't. I didn't turn them off when they came on the radio, but I didn't find them interesting, either. Too busy listening to Tull and the Moody Blues, maybe. :smile: 

Freddie Mercury died in '91, when I was 7, so he was a bit before my time really. But I remember my best friend when I was young putting on Queen CDs and dancing about bellowing the lyrics, so I guess I just grew up with their music. As for his fashion, I think I always just shrug it off as it as being '80s. Moustaches creep me out in general, so I find his no more or less creepy than anyone elses. I do wish the band would cut their hair now, it might have been cool in their heyday, but seeing old men with long wispy hair... that really creeps me out. Adam Lambert does a good job as the current sometime front man, plus he's nice to look at. ;)

Edit: That was before CDs... cassette tapes? 

Back then? LP's, girl! Still the best format, imo. I still have all of mine. Although I do love my iPod.

Never really got into cassettes, thank goodness ... quality not that great. Pretty much stuck with LP's until they stopped selling them, so I missed most of the CD phase too and went straight to the iPod. Now I hear LP's are coming back. Heh heh heh, I'm ahead of the curve for a change.

• Haha 1

Pretty sure they were cassettes. I used to love my cassette walkman as a kid, complete with those flimsy headphones that had sponge bits on the ear. Then when I was a teenager I thought I was really cool with my diskman, I used to carry that thing everywhere and looking back it was really bulky. I thought it was amazing I could take my CDs out of the cases put them in one of those flip cases, and carry my whole music collection in something the size of a big book. :D

I got a cheap MP3 player that was rubbish, then got a free iPod with my laptop and eleven years later it's still going strong and I use it in my car every day.

I'm sure the resurgence of LPs are just a hipster thing, I know I couldn't be bothered to fiddle about with a record when I could just press a button!

Yeah, I don't think I'll be going back to LPS ... as much as I love them, storage is a problem. But I do miss the nice big artwork and the liner notes, that was part of the pleasure, looking at those while I listened.

I loved my tapes and records when I was a kid.  I've always been slow to update my technology, so I was using cassettes and Walkman long after CD's were the thing, and CD's long after iPods were the thing, and then finally got my iPod shortly before they started phasing out in favor of smartphone use.  Then I didn't get a smartphone until 2014.  But I still don't use my phone for music, I still prefer my iPod.

I still by CDs because I like the liner notes and being able to see/read the lyrics as I listen along the first time or 2 and using them as a reference later as needed. I do listen to music on my iPhone and iPad a lot.

Tapes (the big ones) were the only ones I had for a long time. Dreamed of a cassette player for years because tapes are very inconvenient when you want quickly record something from the radio. And radio recordings were the only source of music we've had. Western LP were rare and expensive (I remember buying a Yugoslavian LP of Jean Michel Jarre's Oxigen on a bazaar for an equivalent of the half of my fist wage) Cassettes were better but equally hard to buy, if you wanted something more than a cheap bootlegs with very low quality. Thanks God our radio was outstanding. But I digress, sorry.

Like Queen a lot, although I was quite late to the party. Bowie? Not always my cup of tea,  but I have a lot of respect for him. As for the movie I'll probably wait until it comes to TV.

My favorite thing about the iPod is I can buy only the songs I like, instead of buying an entire album and only listening to half of it.

I find I'm still thinking about Avengers. Need to see it again. How sad is that? :D

• Like 1