Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recently watched movies

• Please log in to reply
1053 replies to this topic

#1041 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 6/10

#1042 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 18,011 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

I was thinking Doe meant 4, 5 and 6 were the Anakin trilogy, and 1, 2, 3 were the Luke trilogy. I think. Now I are confused! :D

Yup, that does sound just a mite backwards. 

-- Carol

#1043 J.P.

J.P.

Consulting Detective

• 5,909 posts
  • Twitter @jp30567
  • LocationGermany
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

Creation.

Wow. Very moving and different from what I expected. Very little BC but Paul Bettany all the time.

• Arcadia and Doe like this

Where's your heart - there's your treasure.
221C-Sherlock's Cellar - My designs for Sherlock Fans who don't want to be too obvious

#1044 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

I can't believe I still haven't gotten around to watching that, I love Paul Bettany.

It's this, or Cluedo.

#1045 Doe

Doe

Detective Superintendent

• 491 posts
  • Twitter @sihirliprofil
  • LocationBodrum Turkey
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

The Fifth Element

I love it!

10/10

I watched again and loved again...

#1046 Doe

Doe

Detective Superintendent

• 491 posts
  • Twitter @sihirliprofil
  • LocationBodrum Turkey

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

Creation.

Wow. Very moving and different from what I expected. Very little BC but Paul Bettany all the time.

Thank you. I will watch. :)

#1047 Artemis

Artemis

Consulting Detective

• 2,277 posts
  • LocationBolt-hole

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:15 AM

I went to see "The Greatest Showman".  You were right Arcadia, it is indeed exuberant!  It was fun to watch and I enjoyed it more than I expected to.

Only problem was that the two women sitting next to me were whispering the words of every single song  through the entire  movie.  (And this was after they shushed me  during the previews  for answering a question from the woman on the other side of me.)  How many times have they seen it, I wonder?  So annoying and rude.  <_<

"Why have I got this blanket?  They keep putting this blanket on me."

#1048 Van Buren Supernova

Van Buren Supernova

Consulting Detective

• 4,612 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

Holy smoke, I watched a musical, yes, The Greatest Showman.

We wanted to catch some movies and went for marathon of Jumanji and The Greatest Showman.

Somehow I thought it's something like The Prestige. Being a fan of it, and coincidentally also played by Hugh Jackman, I went for it. 

It was only when we had the tickets in our hand that I slowly looked at the poster and felt horrified.

But it was a good show, some of the singing are good, and there are stories to tell with the singing although some others are too much for me. Overall, I actually enjoyed it, it looks gorgeously classic although the story is predictable. 7/10

Jumanji, I enjoyed it too. That is how a sequel should be, different but similar. Some sequels are carbon copies of the original and that is annoying (Hangover, Home Alone, Ice Age) but Jumanji is fun. It's also relatable as I used to play games and I think, maybe, if I feel jaded with life one day, it would be interesting to enter Jumanji's world. Some parts are lol moments and I like The Rock, so it's good time. It's probably high but wth, 8/10.

I also watched Downsizing, I'm the sucker of what-ifs, this kind of sci-fi concept. The idea is pretty good, but the execution...blah.

The movie barely scratches the surface, boring and misses a lot of potential it could have. 5/10

• Arcadia and Artemis like this
I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.

#1049 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

Shot Caller - 6/10

#1050 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 473 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

I have very mixed feelings about "The darkest hour". Gary Oldman is very good (as good as the other actors), but the way the story is told is quite messy: the film director obviously wanted to concentrate it on a few days (when the British and French soldiers have been evacuated from Dunkerque), but he has spread the storyline in too many directions (Churchill's privacy, relationships with wife, with the king...). However, the characters (who are real politicians with contrasted viewpoints, which gives interestins dialogues) are very nuanced, the heaviness of political choices are well underlined. Not a waste of time, but nothing really fundamental...

Hi, Janyss,

I haven't seen 'The Darkest Hour' and I won't get to it in the theatres but will watch on DVD some time, I imagine.  Gary Oldman just won Best Actor at the Golden Globes, so he is the guy to beat at Oscar time.  Gary has been nominated several times but never won, so I'd be very happy for him to take home a Best Actor Oscar this year.

I don't really have a pony in this race, since I have only been to the cinema twice in 2017, so I might as well root for Gary.

It may interest you to know that my favorite Holmes pastiche concerns the events of Dunkirk.  It is from the "In the Company of Sherlock Holmes" short story collection, and is titled simply Dunkirk by John Lescroart.  Mr. Lescroart is a lawyer who is known for writing legal thrillers but he is also a devout Sherlockian.  His effort here is the most affecting Holmes pastiche I have read.  During a week in May-June 1940, an enigmatic gentleman in his 80s known only as 'Mr. Sigerson' turns his incredible energies toward the Operation Dynamo evacuation effort, singlehandedly saving hundreds of lives by foiling 'Jerry' at a crucial moment.

This is not the typical pastiche I most enjoy--it is not humorous, nor does Dr. Watson appear.  But I think every Sherlockian should read it.

• Janyss likes this

I am the Stormy Petrel of crime.

#1051 Janyss

Janyss

Detective Inspector

• 96 posts
  • Facebook Facebook
  • LocationSouth West France
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Hounds Of Baskerville

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

I'll try it, certainly!
We have a very famous and funny pastiche here in France, "Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmes" (which btw gave the alias to one of the members here).

Next to be seen: "God's own country", which happens to be Mark Gatiss's favourite movie these days :), accirding to some FB pages!

"Truth is rarely pure and never simple"

#1052 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

Holy smoke, I watched a musical, yes, The Greatest Showman.

We wanted to catch some movies and went for marathon of Jumanji and The Greatest Showman.

Somehow I thought it's something like The Prestige. Being a fan of it, and coincidentally also played by Hugh Jackman, I went for it. 

It was only when we had the tickets in our hand that I slowly looked at the poster and felt horrified.

But it was a good show, some of the singing are good, and there are stories to tell with the singing although some others are too much for me. Overall, I actually enjoyed it, it looks gorgeously classic although the story is predictable. 7/10

Jumanji, I enjoyed it too. That is how a sequel should be, different but similar. Some sequels are carbon copies of the original and that is annoying (Hangover, Home Alone, Ice Age) but Jumanji is fun. It's also relatable as I used to play games and I think, maybe, if I feel jaded with life one day, it would be interesting to enter Jumanji's world. Some parts are lol moments and I like The Rock, so it's good time. It's probably high but wth, 8/10.

I also watched Downsizing, I'm the sucker of what-ifs, this kind of sci-fi concept. The idea is pretty good, but the execution...blah.

The movie barely scratches the surface, boring and misses a lot of potential it could have. 5/10

I love The Rock. :D

It's this, or Cluedo.

#1053 Fantasy Lover

Fantasy Lover

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 887 posts
  • LocationGhent, Belgium

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

Coco 8/10
Fun, but predictable

The hitman's bodyguard 6/10
This one required waaay to much suspension of disbelief imo

Inside out 8/10
I switched school and moved to a different house, so I relate way to much to Riley

Journey to the centre of the earth 6/10
The movie based on the novel of the same name has the same unbelievable nonsense as the novel did
  • Doe likes this

#1054 Detective

Detective

Detective Superintendent

• 213 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Atomic Blonde - 7/10

Yes, story lacks, but action kicks butt. Including one specific scene that honestly is one of the better action sequences in movie history.
  • Doe likes this