"Sherlock" actors we've seen elsewhere

Carol the Dabbler

This thread is for actors you couldn't quite place when you saw them on Sherlock, even though they looked familiar. Or ones who should have looked familiar but slipped right by you. Or ones who looked familiar somewhere else because you'd seen them on Sherlock.

I just realized why Alfred Enoch as Pvt. Bainbridge ("The Bloody Guardsman") looked familiar -- he's Harry Potter's classmate Dean Thomas, all grown up!

• Like 2

I don't think I can contribute anything since I almost decided that I don't really like British show (before I found Sherlock I only quite like Misfits),

but I remember thinking that the first victim in SIP looked familiar, until I realize he just kind of remind me of Colin Firth.

• Like 1

I hope we don't have to remember which shows we saw them in! When it comes to British programs, I primarily watch mysteries, so it would most likely be one of them. :smile: Clive Mantle (Dr. Frankland) shows up all over the place. He was in Robin of Sherwood, a show I adored at the time. I've spotted Zoe Telford (Sarah) a couple of times. John Sessions (Kenny Prince) quite a lot. Bertie Carvel (Seb Wilkes) once. Ditto Katherine Parkinson (Kitty Riley). Tanya Moodie (John's shrink) showed up in something recently (Luther, maybe?) playing virtually the same role. Jonathan Aris, of course, in The Martian and something else, quite recently. Drat, what was it? I really like him, for some reason.

I think I've spotted Tony Pitt (Lestrade's boss in TRF) in a couple of things, altho he's such a "type" that I might be confusing him with half a dozen other actors. :smile:

All very minor roles. The only one I've seen in a major role is Phil Davis (Jeff the Cabbie) -- in Whitechapel, which I rather liked. Oh, and he's in Poldark (new version.) He pops up quite a bit, actually.

• Like 1

Uh -- you must be one of those people who watch television!  I mostly watch DVDs, and even though many of them were originally television programs, it seems to have a different effect.  As far as I can recall, Alfred Enoch is the first actor who looked familiar the first time I saw him on Sherlock, and he may well be only the second one I'd seen previously (with the first being Wanda Ventham).

Since watching Sherlock, I've also seen several of the people you mention, some in productions with Martin Freeman:  Clive Mantle as his older brother in The Robinsons, Zoe Telford as the woman he rapes in Men Only, and Jonathan Aris as a reporter in Ali G Indahouse.  I've also seen John Sessions (as Mycroft) and Phil Davis (as a police inspector!) in Mr. Holmes, and Katherine Parkinson in a series of humorous Malteaser ads with Amanda Abbington (e.g., this, this, and this).

Oh, right, Mr. Holmes! I should really watch that again.

It's not so much that I watch TV, it's that I have it on (mostly for my mom's sake) and glance up if something interesting happens. So I'd probably see a lot more faces I recognize if I looked more. :)

I forgot to mention Russell Tovey! Mostly I remember seeing him in something with our Benny ... Miss Marple, or one of those. But I've also seen bits and pieces of Being Human.

I forgot to mention Russell Tovey! Mostly I remember seeing him in something with our Benny ... Miss Marple, or one of those. But I've also seen bits and pieces of Being Human.

I have seen all episodes of Being Human (UK version), and I thought 'Hey that guy was in Sherlock!' :D He's cool as a werewolf, btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently watched Amazing Grace (trying to catch up on early Benedict Cumberbatch) and recognized Toby Jones in the cast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And I just learned that Toby Jones was in the Harry Potter movies. If you (like me) don't recall seeing him there, it's because he was...

... the voice of Dobby the house elf.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just spotted Oliver Lansley (David from TSo3) in an episode of Inspector Lewis. Playing, oddly, a character named David. :smile:

• Like 2

I'm on a roll ... just spotted Major Sholto (Alastair Petrie) on Whitechapel.  (Freaky show, I get a kick out of it.) Actually, recognized the voice first.

I couldn't get into the Night Manager. Tried a couple of times but it just didn't hold my interest. :( I'm starting to think Sherlock's ruined me for anything else....

I found night manager intriguing but it could have done with less skin or have those sections filmed differently.

Yeah, I was silently yelling over and over again: start thinking with your BRAIN, you dumb***!

But have to admit that the thriller parts kept me glued to the monitor.

On the other hand I didn't bother to rewatch it as it finally came to German TV.

I am watching Humans (not Being Human).

Kitty Riley(Katherine Parkinson) and Soo Lin (Gemma Chan) are main casts and they are good. There is Anderson (Jonatan Aris) as well and I believe the inspector who was skyping with Sherlock is also one of the cast.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Turned on Foyle's War, got busy with something else, glanced up at the screen, there's Andrew Scott. Playing a man traumatized by a childhood tragedy. Small world....

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been ages since I last saw it so I don't remember much. What I do remember is that I considered it refreshing, because the main protagonist is a bit clumsy.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Watching Mark Gatiss as a rather jaded vicar in Midsomer Murders. It's like watching Mycroft in disguise...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw Mark in Christopher Robin's trailer. He looks like bad, bad guy.

It's funny how happy I am to see Sherlock's casts randomly.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Saw Lady Smallwood in Black Mirror, episode 'National Anthem', she was pretty much... Lady Smallwood, high rank government, but this time she didn't drop by at 221B Baker Street. Big mistake. Tsk..tsk..

Saw agent Donovan in Black Mirror too, episode 'Hated In The Nation'. Not sure if it's the actress, she has different role but to me, similarly obnoxious. Fun coincidence, she was investigated by a pair of detective. 

:)

• Like 1